Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 am 
I hadn't heard of it before my dad recommended it to me, but there's a long running series by C.J. Box starring a game warden in Wyoming. Mystery/thriller genre w/ a bit of an environmental/ecology flavor to it. Just started the first book "Open Season" last night. Seems like a page turner/quick read from the taste I got so far.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm 
I am sure many of you have read The Boys in the Boat. I think it was one of the best books I've ever read. The last 150 pages were rivetting.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I hadn't heard of it before my dad recommended it to me, but there's a long running series by C.J. Box starring a game warden in Wyoming. Mystery/thriller genre w/ a bit of an environmental/ecology flavor to it. Just started the first book "Open Season" last night. Seems like a page turner/quick read from the taste I got so far.
i read all the books ... fell in love with Joe Pickett! don't tell my husband! hee hee i'm on a wait list for Vicious Circle!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 pm 
gb wrote:
I am sure many of you have read The Boys in the Boat. I think it was one of the best books I've ever read. The last 150 pages were rivetting.
our local library gave out free books to whomever, maybe due to the setting/location ... it's in my stack waiting to be read!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 11:52 pm 
bobbi wrote:
i read all the books ... fell in love with Joe Pickett! don't tell my husband! hee hee i'm on a wait list for Vicious Circle!
Hopefully he's not too jealous of a fictitious character.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
bobbi wrote:
Hopefully he's not too jealous of a fictitious character.
hee hee ... my falling in love was fictitious! hope you like all the Joe Pickett books! up.gif

graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 pm 
gb wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 5:53 pm 
Got back on February 19 from two weeks in Tanzania, including seven days of backpacking & walking the Serengeti. So, I just picked up a copy of George Schaller's Lions of the Serengeti. Looks fascinating.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm 
A man called Ove

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 am 
Almost through the first book in Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem trilogy. Cixin Liu is a China's most prolific and popular science fiction writer. (The first and final books in the trilogy have been translated into English by Ken Liu and the second by Joel Martinsen.) The first book, The Three Body Problem, is fantastic. Like the best of hard SF books there's an interesting concept to marvel at in seemingly every chapter. The pace is frenetic, and almost every other chapter reads like a poetic set piece. (By the way, I think the Chinese are coming up with a movie adaptation of the first book this year.) Salivating at the thought of continuing on with the next two books in the triliogy! I can't recommend the series enough. up.gif up.gif up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:52 am 
My brother gave me "Nature's Temples: The Complete World of Old Growth Forests" by Joan Maloof. Tends to deal more with eastern forests but is a very interesting take on why they're so important. I too must cast votes for C.J. Box and the Joe Pickett series. Read 'em all and await the new ones. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 3:02 pm 
There is remarkable cohesiveness over the 6,000 mile spread of Eskimo [authors' word] culture. Eskimo Architecture-Dwelling and Structure in the Early Historic Period coauthored by Molly Lee and Gregory A. Reinhardt studies that homogeneity over the arctic regions of the world. Eskimos made much more than igloos as they battled against some of worst climate in the world. Winter steam baths, birthing rooms, death rooms, and dance halls for activity in the summer months are all discussed with helpful diagrams and historic photos. Regrettably much of the architecture presented is from vintage photos as the Inuit have entered, along with us, into the modern age. But the authors investigate those buildings that still exist and, whenever feasible, involve the native people who can articulate the function, meaning, and symbolism of the architecture at this cold corner of the world.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:50 pm 
As a fan of Sci-Fi I'm wondering why I didn't find the works of Iain M. Banks before just recently. I found "The Hydrogen Sonata" at a bookstore and it was really good, so I did a bit of research and discovered that Mr. Banks has written a LOT of books, both Sci-Fi and in other genres. He died in 2009, IIRC, but he left a lot of books that I'll be happy to work my way through. His first Sci-Fi book was "Consider Phlebas," published over 20 years ago which I took on vacation with me this last couple of weeks. Got about 3/4 of the way through then left it on the airplane and can't find a copy locally so have ordered it online but will have to wait a week or two for it to arrive. In the meantime I've started another one, "Excession" and ordered a couple more. If you like Sci-Fi, Mr. Banks' books are definitely worth a read. Well written with complex characters, great descriptive prose, and highly imaginative. Looking forward to sampling his non-Sci-Fi work as well, which he publishes under the name "Iain Banks," dropping the middle "M."

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
In the meantime I've started another one, "Excession"
One of his best, along with "Player of games". I just finished reading "Transition". I guess it was SF, although he could easily have written it as Ian Banks. It was good; a bit slow, but worth it if you stick with it.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:25 pm 
Although Mercator never traveled beyond northern Europe The World of Gerald Mercator-The Mapmaker Who Revolutionized Geography, by Andrew Taylor, reveals the genius that brought the globe into libraries around the world. The Inquisition forced Mercator into a prison and we are fortunate that he survived and brought us his famous world map of 1569 which shows the projection that bears his name. The author researched this captivating biography in numerous libraries. He writes of the historical period Mercator lived in to help the reader frame the images of that turbulent time.