Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:00 am 
Book 14 of 15 in the series. The "V" plague by Dirk Patton.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 14, 2017 10:30 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Veronica Roth wrote the Divergent series. She has a new book, Carve the Mark
Ended up enjoying this, quick read. One thing tough, I shoulda known better, but it had a complete non-ending. Obviously the beginning of a new series, not a stand alone book. I didn't know that going into it.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon May 15, 2017 10:22 am 
"Where the Water Goes:Life and Death Along the Colorado River" by David Owen. totally fascinating book about the river, politics of water and somewhat scary scenarios involving the Colorado River water and its region. Great read, highly recommended by me. cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm 
Going in a different direction for my latest book. Thomas Perry is apparently a prolific writer but I haven't read any of his stuff before. I must have seen a review in the paper for his latest that caught my eye. Anyway just started "Forty Thieves." Crime thriller that will pit a pair of private investigators against a pair of assassins. One pair is digging into a cold case murder investigation, the other pair is trying to keep the truth from coming out at all costs. I've only met the detectives so far, but I'm enjoying the writing style and the story is engaging right from the beginning.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 26, 2017 12:36 pm 
I read Jim Lynch's "The Highest Tide" probably close to 10 years ago. I enjoyed it, but didn't remember much about it. Rereading it now, and enjoying the second go around. Coming of age tale set in Olympia, WA. The protagonist is a prodigy in terms of his understanding of life in the tidal zone in the South Sound.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 28, 2017 11:46 am 
Last book was a really quick read, now I have "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Haven't started it yet, but I've heard good buzz. Movie adaptation coming to the big screen in the near future I believe.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 29, 2017 7:51 pm 
Okay, I've been reading "Ready Player One" off and on today and I'm hooked. Have to try to make it last a few days.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 10:37 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"Ready Player One"
This was a really enjoyable read. I'm not a gamer at all, but that didn't matter. Whole thing is an ode to the 80s.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 10:43 am 
Pulled Ivan Doig's "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" off my own shelf while waiting for my next library book. I've lost count of how many times I've read it. Enjoying it yet again. About 3/4 of the way done. In the meantime I got "What's Become of Her" by Deb Caletti from the library. Set on a fictitious island in the San Juans. Author is a local, so she knows the territory. Main character is a woman whose life is kind of in shambles. She meets a guy that seems perfect, but then finds out he had a fiance who fell off a cliff and a wife who disappeared at sea. There was never any evidence of wrongdoing by him, but unbelievable coincidence that two women he was intimately involved with had this happen. I'm about halfway thru now. She's freaked out now but still with him at the moment. A third character, a professor that worked with the other man and was in love with his wife (the one that disappeared at sea), is cyber stalking the man and hoping to catch him in the act this time before another woman comes to a bad end. It's a bit uneven, I've been putting it aside and going back to Doig at times.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 am 
Just finished reading Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations by David R. Montgomery, University of California Press 2007. This is a fascinating but ultimately disturbing overview of soil science and history and the impact of human agriculture since the Neolithic era when the hunter gatherers began to live in more settled communities and grow crops in the same place year after year until the soils were depleted. Then they just moved on to new land, cut the forests and repeated the cycle--all over the planet. This book makes you think a bit. ~z Here's a short review from History In Review by Herbert White. Dirt, or more aptly soil, is so commonplace that most people never even think about it, let alone wonder about its history - and its future. In David R. Montgomery's unsettling new book, Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations the author provides an overview of the history of soil and the impact that it has had on the rise, and fall, of various civilizations. Most disturbing of all, Montgomery takes a hard look at the future of the Earth's soil, and what he finds is that we are losing an unprecedented amount of soil and if we don't take steps, now, to preserve what remains, we will soon find ourselves unable to grow enough food to sustain ourselves. Montgomery is a Professor of Earth and Space Sciences at the University of Washington, and within the pages of this book he has interwoven a wealth of information garnered from history, archaeology, soil science, and geology, to present this compelling history of soil. In addition to presenting a general overview of how soil is formed and used, Montgomery also presents in-depth analysis of how soil was used in several different civilizations including Mesopotamia, Ancient Greece and Rome, China, and Colonial America. He also illustrates how erosion, environmental damage and poor agricultural practices have led to the depletion, and at times, total loss of an area's top soil - and the impact that such a loss has had on the people touched by the disaster. Most important, he examines how political and economic factors have contributed to soil-degradation throughout time. Modern abuses and soil loses are also touched on, including the Dust Bowl and the rapid encroachment of sand into once fertile areas in the Sub-Saharan. To round-out the book, Montgomery also provides insights into current practices, such as no-till farming and composting that can be used to protect the remaining top-soil, and to help restore its fertility and quantity. ....

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:57 pm 
Im on my 38th book this year. The Blue Plague: Book 4 Rage. Thomas A. Watson I havent turned on the television since the Superbowl in early Feb..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
graywolf

graywolf
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 6:28 pm 
"Debriefing the President: The Interrogation of Saddam Hussein". Fascinating right from the start.

The only easy day was yesterday...
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 pm 
Just finished reading Voyage of Rediscovery by Ben Finney. Ben Finney passed away in late May of this year. Very interesting guy. Here's a bit of the Wiki entry: [He] was an American anthropologist known for his expertise in the history and the cultural and social anthropology of surfing, Polynesian navigation, and canoe sailing, as well as in the cultural and social anthropology of human space colonization. As “surfing’s premier historian and leading expert on Hawaiian surfing going back to the 17th century”[1] and “the intellectual mentor, driving force, and international public face” of the Hokulea project, This book is about the Hokulea project and its several voyages between Hawaii, Tahiti, Aotearoa (New Zealand) and other archipelagos in Polynesia. This book is for anyone interested in cultural anthropology, sailing or Polynesian culture and history. Here's a blurb from the University of California: In the summer of 1985, a mostly Hawaiian crew set out aboard Hokule'a, a reconstructed ancient double canoe, to demonstrate what skeptics had steadfastly denied: that their ancestors, sailing in such canoes and navigating solely by reading stars, ocean swells, and other natural signs, could intentionally have sailed across the Pacific, exploring the vast oceanic realm of Polynesia and discovering and settling all its inhabitable islands. Their round-trip odyssey from Hawai'i to Aotearoa (New Zealand), across 12,000 nautical miles, dramatically refuted all theories declaring that—because of their unseaworthy canoes and inaccurate navigational methods—the ancient Polynesians could only have been pushed accidentally to their islands by the vagaries of wind and current. ... The book has charts, weather diagrams, photos and best of all--many beautiful illustrations drawn and presented in woodcut style by artist Richard Rhodes. up.gif ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 pm 
John Scalzi's latest "The Collapsing Empire." I'd seen a few reviews indicating it wasn't up to the level of most of his writing, but I'm enjoying it, breezing thru it fairly quickly.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 am 
A recent arctic endeavor prompted me to read On Arctic Ground: Tracking Time Through Alaska's National Petroleum Reserve by Debbie S. Miller. The author explored several river drainages by canoe and raft in the huge area at the far northwest of Alaska. The area is the size of the state of Maine and the beautiful photographs of landscape, birds, mammals, flora, and indigenous people make this an enjoyable book.