Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm 
"No shortcut to the top" by Ed Viesturs... I love reading about high altitude mountaineering even though I would never attempt it and think that those that do are insane. Nicely written book, easy to read and enjoyable.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm 
Story-telling rituals can either enrich or darken our family's past. The book Black Sheep & Kissing Cousins-How our family stories shape us by Elizabeth Stone explores how the stories and myths that are passed on within a family help to create the people we are today. She interviewed over a hundred people and her examination reveals how the reverberation of stories affects our work, love, and chosen life-style.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 12:56 pm 
The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease and the End of an Empire, Kyle Harper, Princeton University Press, 2017. If you are interested in world history, climate change and the unseen but omnipresent world of microorganisms then this book is for you. Scholarly but accessible, well-researched and written. This was a bit dense at times but the information was so fascinating that one muddles through. In fact I had to return this book to the library after renewing three times (the limit) and put it on hold again. The wait-list was a bit long. The author gives you the big picture of our species versus a number of bacteriological and viral pathogens over deep time. Among many great reviews are two that might give you an idea—The American Scholar and World Archaeology. ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 pm 
Actually I just picked a book at the library about the story of Tensing Norgay's son "Touching my Father's soul" probably start reading it tonight.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 6:33 pm 
I usually have no interesting in reading books written by celebrities, but I've heard good enough reviews to decide to give actress Krysten Ritter's book a chance. It's a thriller called "Bonfire." I just got it from the library. edited--cruised through this in a few days. Enjoyed it fairly well. It's kind of in the same vein as "The Girl on the Train' and Ruth Ware's novels. Female protagonist who is maybe not a reliable narrator and starts to doubt her grip on reality. The ending went off the rails a bit.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 6:56 pm 
Dan Brown's 'Origin' so far so good! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm 
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is a novel written from the perspective of a dog. It is an entertaining book that is just plain fun. I had the good fortune to be paid $75.00 an hour to read much of it. My flight was overbooked so I took the $300 offer of the airline to take another flight four hours later. I finished the book just before the takeoff to snowy Chicago.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 pm 
I'm reading an older book but it's great. Try "Blue Latitudes:Boldy Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before" by Tony Horowitz. Some chapters are hilarious. up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 am 
Waiting for an army to die by fred a wilcox.. the tragedy of agent orange

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 pm 
"No Angel" by Jay Dobyns. True first-person account of an ATF undercover agent's infiltration into the Hells Angels. Just getting started with it, but enjoyable so far.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:53 pm 
Picked up Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel, "The Midnight Line," from the library. They're kinda all the same, but always entertaining. There are 21 of them now. I'm not sure how many of them I've read, at least half a dozen.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 am 
Rereading Grizzly Years by Doug Peacock. Have to say that I'm getting much more out of it then the 1st go around. But isn't that true of most books that you revisit over the years?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm 
Haven't read any John Scalzi for a while. Just started "Agent to the Stars." Apparently it was the first novel he wrote, but wasn't officially published for many years. He had it available on his website while some of his other works were published and he started to make a name for himself.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 am 
River stewards, jurisdictional buffs, waterways, flood control, Sage Brushers(+/-), etc. read The Source by Martin Doyle: How Rivers Made America and How America Remade Her Rivers. Good stuff on West Point engineers, Corps, barging, floods, irrigation, salmon, etc. Tom

Toni

Toni
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:35 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Picked up Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel, "The Midnight Line," from the library. They're kinda all the same, but always entertaining. There are 21 of them now. I'm not sure how many of them I've read, at least half a dozen.
up.gif Just finished this Jack Reacher novel, enjoyed it, as you mentioned, "always entertanining"

There is no Planet B