Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
Previous :: Next Topic  
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Okay, out of 4 Heinlein books I've read, 3 of them contained some kind of group/communal marriage arrangement.  Leads one to believe the author must've actually believed that was a good idea?  He's a creative and imaginative writer, but maybe a loon as well?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:09 pm 
Given up on several books lately.  Lee Child to the rescue!  The latest Jack Reacher novel is a page turner for sure, gonna plow thru it in a couple days.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:37 pm 
Avoiding the Sudden Stop by George Heuston. Heuston writes about the climbs he went on as a teenager in Washington in the 1960s.

Currently listening to The Great Quake by Henry Fountain. It is about the March 27, 1964 earthquake in Alaska and what geologists learned from it. Very interesting listen so far. (Iíve been on an audio book binge lately, mostly while driving to and from work, doing chores around the yard/house and walks in the neighborhood.)

Of course I have to throw in a suspense novel for good measure: Shadow Tyrants by Clive Cussler.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
He's a creative and imaginative writer, but maybe a loon as well?

I read that he was a brilliant writer, but a bit of a nut job outside of his writing career.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 pm 
I recently tried working on 3 books simultaneously.  I gave up on 2 of the 3, so that didn't work out very well.  The latest Jack Reacher was entertaining though.

Trying 3 at a time again.  I'm mildly curious about the movie coming out soon "Mortal Engines."  I knew it was based on a book series.  I wasn't really planning on reading it, but it jumped out at me at the library, so I'm giving it a go.  Interesting so far.  Post apocalyptic YA sci fi.  Most of the earth is wrecked and cities have become mobile, rolling around on huge tracks like tanks.  Bigger cities swallow smaller cities whole and cannibalize them for parts and materials.  There is some scheming behind the scenes for a faction to achieve greater power, that's about as far as I've gotten.  By Phillip Reeve.  I figured it was a fairly recent series but the copyright is 2001.

Haven't read anything by this author before--A. J. Banner.  Saw a review in the paper that sounded interesting.  Book is called "After Nightfall."  It's set in Pugetopolis.  Starts at a dinner party with some serious tension between various members of the party.  The next morning one of the guests is found dead at the base of a bluff.  Haven't got far into it yet but assuming everybody will be cast in a suspicious light, won't really know what happened til the end.

Last one is a autobiography/advice book by Anna Faris.  I rarely read biographies/autobiographies, especially about celebs, but I like her and she's a local (Edmonds) before going to Hollywood.  Thought I'd take a flyer on it.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob

WTA proponent.....
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am 
Reading John McPhee's latest, "The Patch."   Terrific as always.... up.gif  up.gif  cool.gif

--------------
"Altitude is its own reward"
John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Hesman

Hesman

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am 
Listening to Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Tried reading it years ago but never finished it. (There have been a number of print books I never finished, but found the audio version very engaging.) Found the audio version and have been able to listen to it and at 34 hours and 20 minutes, it has taken over a week to listen to. Got a couple of hours left and should be able to finish it today.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
  Happy Birthday IanB, SouthernYokel!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: