Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 06, 2021 11:21 pm 
We have been there several times and have explored the ruins and trails. My uncle was mayor and sheriff in Gallup, NM. I first visited in the 1950’s as a child and have been fascinated ever since. There is no great mystery as to where the inhabitants went if you speak with the present inhabitants of the First Nations pueblos the clans trace back to the original locations in the area. BTW Anasazi is a Dene (Navaho) term meaning old enemies or similar although they arrived long after the sites were abandoned. When I first visited the ground was covered with potsherds left by white “pot hunters” including many so called “archaeologists who carted the intact pots to Europe.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 07, 2021 9:36 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
My uncle was mayor and sheriff in Gallup, NM. I first visited in the 1950’s as a child and have been fascinated ever since.
That's some pretty amazing childhood experience, Malachai. I think you would really enjoy reading this one. It talks a lot about the early days of excavation and preservation. There was a trading post established that attracted Navajos from surrounding areas. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 07, 2021 9:49 am 
Yes as a politician in Gallup he was on extremely good terms with all of the First Nations people and they invited up into many of their homes. This included pueblos which do not normally allow white visitors. They have an extremely dry sense of humor and a lot of insight. Gallop held a gathering or all tribes and parade at the fairgrounds in those days. I really liked the sand paintings which are quite similar to the Tibetan ones. Impermanence is part of the art.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri May 07, 2021 10:30 am 
zephyr wrote:
Chaco Canyon by Robert and Florence Lister, University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, 1981, 1997. I had a friend who recently explored a bit of New Mexico a couple of weeks ago. He went to Chaco Culture National Historical Park. I picked up this book from the library to learn about the culture. A review can be found here. The book reads well and is loaded with old photographs, maps, and drawings. Chaco Canyon is located in northwestern New Mexico. It's the site of numerous ancient pueblos long abandoned. I think I have more of an understanding of the Anazazi now after reading this book. The authors were a husband and wife archaeologist team who also explored and worked at Mesa Verde and other sites in the Four Corners area. Per Wikipedia: Between AD 900 and 1150, Chaco Canyon was a major center of culture for the Ancestral Puebloans.[a] Chacoans quarried sandstone blocks and hauled timber from great distances, assembling fifteen major complexes that remained the largest buildings ever built in North America until the 19th century.
The pic below is of Pueblo Bonito, the largest and most populated town. (Note the large stack of rubble in the rear. This is where a huge section of cliff spalled off and fell onto the site in 1941.) ~z
. .
Okay, I'm putting that one on my list. I've read "The Chaco Meridian" which was fascinating, but is also controversial. Chaco Canyon fascinates me - haven't been there yet, but it is very high on my priority list of places to visit.

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri May 07, 2021 10:31 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Yes as a politician in Gallup he was on extremely good terms with all of the First Nations people and they invited up into many of their homes. This included pueblos which do not normally allow white visitors. They have an extremely dry sense of humor and a lot of insight. Gallop held a gathering or all tribes and parade at the fairgrounds in those days. I really liked the sand paintings which are quite similar to the Tibetan ones. Impermanence is part of the art.
What a great personal history to be able to tap into - fascinating.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat May 08, 2021 10:47 am 
Wow, zephyr & Mal - your sure got me interested in reading about Chaco Canyon!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 08, 2021 11:57 am 
There is one petroglyphs which is claimed to be Haley’s Comet of 1066 the same one featured in the Bayeux taplsserie. Who knows?

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue May 25, 2021 11:36 am 
"Rock Me On The Water" by Ronald Brownstein. A poignant read so far about "the year Los Angeles transformed movies, Music, television and politics. I'm enjoying the first few chapters a lot about the rise of Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, the Eagles, Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, and a host of others. Great read so far.... cool.gif up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Jun 13, 2021 10:24 pm 
Zephyr & Malachai; I just finished the book on Chaco Canyon. i feel embarrassed that I didn't know about this! At. All!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:40 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I just finished the book on Chaco Canyon.
Awesome. Some great stories in that little book. I had never known about that giant slab (Leaning Rock or ?) which stood there the entire time of the occupation and didn't fall until 1941. It looked rather ominous in some of the photos. ~z

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am 
The Log from the Sea of Cortez, - John Steinbeck, 1939 One quote that I liked... "To name a thing has always been to make it familiar and therefore less dangerous to us. "Tree" the abstract may harbor some evil until it has a name, but once having a name one can cope with it."

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I just finished the book on Chaco Canyon.
Awesome. Some great stories in that little book. I had never known about that giant slab (Leaning Rock or ?) which stood there the entire time of the occupation and didn't fall until 1941. It looked rather ominous in some of the photos. ~z
Terrible Rock. There's also one named Strange, Leaning Rock. I'm still blown away by the rich history of the place and the detailed, incredible architecture and the variety of bricks they made!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 am 
InFlight wrote:
The Log from the Sea of Cortez, - John Steinbeck, 1939 One quote that I liked... "To name a thing has always been to make it familiar and therefore less dangerous to us. "Tree" the abstract may harbor some evil until it has a name, but once having a name one can cope with it."
Among my favorite authors. The Log from the Sea of Cortez has some beautiful text; descriptions! Isn't that the which is dedicated to "Ed Ricketts, who knows why, or should." I love that. I read Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, and Tortilla Flat every year, seems like. If you haven't read Short Reign of Pippi IV, do. It's hilarious, though some of it goes over my head because I am not familiar with the politics of the time. It would be even more hilarious if I did.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:36 am 
Recently read: Thaddeus Stevens: Civil War Revolutionary, Fighter for Racial Justice, by Bruce Levine. About a man who was not only ahead of his time but in many ways ahead of our time, too. Currently reading a detour from my usual area of interest, the American Civil War: The Red Prince: John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, by Helen Carr. I've been collecting DVDs of Shakespeare's plays, and of course John of Gaunt has a prominent role in Richard II. (He dies in Act II, but of course his descendants, starting with Henry IV, had a pivotal role in English history down through the Stuart kings and queens and beyond.) So far, I'm really enjoying this well-written biography.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Among my favorite authors.
Been awhile since I have read Steinbeck but I liked "Travels with Charley:In Search of America"

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir