Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I hate Monroe traffic!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm 
Just had to broadcast that... Traffic was backed up nearly to the pass yesterday and magically once we finally passed Monore it was clear. Not sure if there was an accident or event? I typically avoid going through Monroe because of past experiences like this so I don't go through there often anymore. After yesterday I'll be stepping up my efforts to avoid going through there. Note: No offense intended to any of the fine residents of Monroe. I feel better now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm 
Does your brother Daryl feel the same way? How about your other brother Daryl?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 2:29 pm 
It's a pretty typical pattern for Hwy2 on weekend afternoons, especially Sunday. Even without accidents it can be backed up beyond Goldbar. A lot of it is that stoplight in Sultan. We came back from Leavenworth via I90 just because of such backups. Plus this past weekend was "Gold Dust Days" in Goldbar so it must have been pretty rowdy...

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 3:27 pm 
Have you met our friend I-90? He gets backed up on some Sundays, but 2 is ALWAYS a mess on Sundays.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 4:51 pm 
Yet another reason I prefer Saturdays on the weekend for hiking. In my experience unless there is an accident or something, even traffic on 2 back through Monroe isn't unbearable.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 4:56 pm 
Didn't used to be this way. The death knell was that stinkin stoplight. Way back in olden times (early 90's?) the drive could still blow chunks on an unusually heavy weekend, but mostly it was just slowish at worst, and fine at best. But once that stoplight went in, that one tiny delay choked up the entire road westbound for quite a ways back. The heck of it was, I thought it was bad back then, and now I know it's ridiculously worse. Now, of course, this is simply the dealo. The funny part is that to improve traffic access around the light, they've wound up choking traffic in all the other towns too. A bypass will never fly, but I cannot think of a place I know of locally where one isn't more badly needed.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:00 pm 
I always blame it on that one stop light. lol.gif Some day they might fix it? hockeygrin.gif

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:13 pm 
Those little podunk bergs NEED you stop. Gold Bar , Startup and Sultan would perish if there was a bypass. It's the only way they can stay in business. They will never change the timing on the lights, or the 30 mph zones, it's purposely meant to slow you down. Unfortunately, it only takes one small mistake on that one lane highway to screw it up royally. You learn after a while, do dayhikes up 2 on Saturday, if you're westbound on Sunday, after noon, your rolling the dice.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:43 pm 
ditto.gif For years North Bend had one of the last stoplights between Seattle ad Boston huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:44 pm 
I ski at Stevens a fair amount in the winter and have never had any real issues with traffic at that time of year. Not that it's the easy-breezy drive that 90 is, but it's not that big of a deal. Usually 2 hrs. from the pass to my place in W. Seattle. Summer is a whole different story. If I'm hiking up around the South side of Glacier Peak I'll drive all the way back through Leavenworth to I-90 to avoid 2 on a Sunday afternoon.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 pm 
A little of the slowdown was Gold Bar, but the 42 lights that let 2 cars through per green in Monroe was the biggest problem I saw. You notice that none of the cross streets back up, just HWY 2. Hard to believe that isn't as designed to get people to stop. No one can be accidentally that incompetent (in traffic planning) can they? I'd pay tolls for a bypass!

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 7:27 pm 
If Monroe is your only complaint, try Ben Howard road to the 203 next time. hmmm.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am 
captain jack wrote:
If Monroe is your only complaint, try Ben Howard road to the 203 next time. hmmm.gif
Very true. You just gave away our secret escape route! wink.gif Here is a little known fact: From Monroe to Stevens Pass, every 5-MPH speed limit between 35-MPH and 60-MPH is reached... 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60... Snohomish County is currently considering changing the speed limit during that stretch to only two: 35-MPH and 55-MPH (or possibly 60-MPH, but I doubt it). The two lights in Sultan do suck, but so does the fact the "four lanes" I grew up driving between Sultan and Startup became the "three lanes"... with two lanes heading towards Stevens Pass and only one lane returning westbound. They totally got that backwards, IMO.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
DitchDoc

DitchDoc
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
Daryl, Sure I was in that back up with ya, but surprisingly when we got to Sultan, it cleared out pretty well. Doc

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any deviation from that is bad.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 6:52 am 
Opus wrote:
...A lot of it is that stoplight in Sultan...
Which is why we do not go to Seaside, Oregon any more. Went through there about 20 years ago and traffic was backed up for miles. I asked at a store what the holdup might be and was told that the city put in a stoplight so that people would stop (and buy something). So, they never again got any of our money...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology