Forum Index > Trip Reports > A gaggle of geese - birding the Skagit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 pm 
We had a serious case of cabin fever. We needed to get out but we really didn't want anything too strenuous. The forecast was for a sunny Sunday so we headed north to do a little birding. Our first stop was at Big Ditch. Boy is that road potholed. There were a few hunters and birders in the parking lot. We headed out along the dike. There was a hawk surveying the area but not much else. We heard a splash and saw two otters diving down. We only caught a glimpse but it was cool. We headed back to the car. We could heard geese in the distance and a huge flock flew over and headed north. Time to move on. We headed up to Conway. Just before the turn off we saw a nice flock of trumpeter swans in the field near the freeway. But we were in search for those snow geese. Next we stopped at Hayton Reserve across from Cowtown. We didn't see anything at first but when we looked west, we saw a huge flock farther up the road. But first we had to check the three immature eagles hanging out in a huge tree near the parking lot. We continued on toward La Connor and when we rounded the curve, there they were. There was a huge flock right in a field next to the road. People were pulling off left and right. The geese were not fazed at all. I have never seen them this close up and personal before. We spent a good half hour just watching them moving along. After lunch at La Connor Brewery, we moved on up to Padilla Bay and north towards Samish Island. We pulled into the 'West 90' lot. The short eared owls were flying back and forth along with marsh hawks. The afternoon was warm and it was the perfect cure for cabin fever. On the way back, we stopped and walked a short bit on the Padilla Bay Trail watching the herons and ducks while the sun set over the sound.
Big Ditch
Big Ditch
Snow geese flying over
Snow geese flying over
Trumpeter Swans
Trumpeter Swans
Snow Geese
Snow Geese
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese on Fir Island
Snow Geese
Snow Geese
Snow Geese attracting a crowd
Snow Geese attracting a crowd
West 90 Access
West 90 Access
Sunset at Padilla Bay
Sunset at Padilla Bay

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 10:13 pm 
Marta your photos are splendid. I love the golden sunset, your final photo. And your photos of the geese!! Goodness, after all the posts this weekend about Photoshop, I was sure at first that this photo too was 'chopped. but no, these are all individual geese. Wow, so many at once. What a gorgeous sight it must have been, against the dormant winter fields. And what a treat that you are sharing these images with us. thank you.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 pm 
Wow, what alot of geese! Old acquaintances in Klamath Falls, OR (Klamath marsh is a huge, famous wetland waterfowl hunting area) said those snow geese make great jerky. There used to be flocks of passenger pigeons and Carolina parakeets in our country like that. But now they're gone forever bawl.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
greg

greg
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 7:36 am 
Tons of snow geese on the Skagit this winter! Driving to Vancouver Thursday we dropped into the valley and under the biggest flock of snow geese I've ever seen, the sky was covered with them for miles, must have been 25,000, maybe more. The Big Ditch is a great place to see them. up.gif

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm 
Thanks Seawall. I appreciate the comments. It was truly an amazing sight to see them that close up. If the weather is good, I highly recommend a drive around Fir Island to see if you can spot them.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm 
Skagit birding
Great shots of the valley and the geese and swans. Many thanks. Was up there on work assignment a week ago and saw some geese and many swans in a field off I-5. Hard to not be distracted! I miss the many visits to the Skagit delta and walking the levees. Some years back the State made access difficult, requiring hunters' stamp. The "park" on Fir Island has a nice parking area, etc., but it is so controled now. I should check with the state to see what the requirements are to gain access and walk....the best place to see the snow geese and other water birds. Also, owls, eagles, and some unusual birds. One of the best short hikes anywhere! Views are great on clear days.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 pm 
Yes, lots of snow geese. Which is rather a problem in the arctic. The flocks coming into TX and LA are just enormous. The rice and other grain fields are not a natural food source and increase survival but the arctic is being devastated as a result. Other duck and geese species are suffering as a result. Difficult situation. frown.gif http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/snowprob/index.htm

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 pm 
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm 
Thanks for the pics and the info on where to see them.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 pm 
This is a useful map if you are looking for different places to bird in Skagit. The only place that I visited that isn't on it is the West 90 area. It is up to the left at T (towards Samish) up above Padilla Bay.