Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anaconda Peak - 1/19/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
Thanks to "cdrbond007" for the recent report on Anaconda and for sparking interest in this one once again. The plan was for Craig and I to meet Yana, dicey, and Gabriel at the TH around 0730. For some reason I waited until Granite Falls to remember I didn't have my boots...!! So, Craig and I went back into town to get them as we were determined to ascend Anaconda in a snowstorm. While the other three got an 0800 start, Craig and I pulled up the rear with a lazy 0930 start. Nice. rolleyes.gif I'll spare everyone the route details as cdrbond007 has done a fine job of that already. Craig and I followed a nicely compacted route (surprise!) on up the road with only about 300 trees impeding progress. Around 2400', we found where everyone else had turned into the forest and followed along. With all the previous steps, I did not need to use my snowshoes the entire day!
We zig-zagged up through the trees until coming to the final steep section just below the ridge crest. Again, Yana, dicey, and Gabriel had done a good job of putting in steps so it was no problem.
We trotted along the ridge crest before finally turning uphill for the final ridge ascent. We could hear the other three up ahead at this point and we eventually caught up to them 300' below the summit. We ascended the final few hundred feet up the ridge right along the crest which involved a lot of full body contact and clinging to trees, but eventually we made it work. The summit stay was short in the driving wind and snow, and we were soon retreating back down the ridge.
Single File to the Summit
Single File to the Summit
We took a slightly different route back down the road avoiding some of the steep, icy sections encountered on the ascent. It all worked out and we made the road in no time.
The road slog out was a real drag, but it was great to finally make the cars again to be and sitting on a heated seat. Fun trip despite all of my morning shenanigans, sorry folks! biggrin.gif Anaconda: ~7.5 miles, 3700' of gain, 7.5 hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andy D.

Andy D.
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 10:21 am 
Wow, nice work! You guys sure got up there a lot faster than we did. I can't believe you didn't need snowshoes! We were wallowing up to our hips without them, and my trekking poles were sinking in up to the handles!

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 12:03 pm 
Randy wrote:
The plan was for Craig and I to meet Yana, dicey, and Gabriel at the TH around 0730. For some reason I waited until Granite Falls to remember I didn't have my boots...!! So, Craig and I went back into town to get them as we were determined to ascend Anaconda in a snowstorm. While the other three got an 0800 start, Craig and I pulled up the rear with a lazy 0930 start. Nice.
I gotta try that plan. That is an excellent plan!

Art is an adventure.
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm 
When I told Randy that Yana, Gabriel and I would be joining his trip on Saturday, he said "Whoot, more trailbreakers!" I get it now.... rolleyes.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/