Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Trinity mine, Trinity, WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noel Freedman

Noel Freedman
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 11:03 am 
My grandfather and his brother founded the Royal Development mine in Trinity, WA in 1921. The powerhouse is still running fed by a stream. There is a year round caretaker on site. Driving directions on net. I have a lot of material of this subject. Interested? email me. Noel Freedman

My grandfather founded the Royale Development Company located at Trinity, WA. I have a whole slew of info and photos. Interested? Thanks
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 pm 
Thanks for the offer Noel. Welcome to the site. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 2:20 pm 

Jake

Jake
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm 
Yes, the old the powerhouse and mine is a sight to see for sure. The owners gave us a tour of both a few years ago. It is interesting that the buildings roofs are kept clear of snow by heat provided by power from the Pelton wheel, which is still in operation. In the mine, we stood at a point 10,000 feet from the portal at the old transformer station and were able to look back down the tunnel and still see a tiny point of light coming in. The tunnel is that straight for 10,000 feet. At that point, the tunnel turns slightly to the right and enters the area of the main workings, which are connected, to the St. Francis mine 600 vertical feet above by a series of raises and intermediate levels. Phil Woodhouse made a video of the mine and powerhouse that day. It was a lot of fun and very interesting to study the history of this remote mining camp and then visit. It was a very modern and comfortable camp for it’s time, with houses and cabins for the married folks and a couple very nice bunkhouses for the single men. It was said the only way to get a job there was if someone died. It was that good of a place to work and live.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm 
2009 now and still waiting for info and pictures winksmile.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
rforbes

rforbes
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 am 
my great-grandfather bought the whole property back in 1948. It was basically my family's vacation home ever since then. We sold off most of the property except for an acre and one cabin about 20 years ago, i think? something like that. I still go up as many times as I can throughout the summer. -r

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 am 
I hope you know just how lucky you are! I'm green with envy. I hate people like you.. (just kidding). wink.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 5:40 pm 
Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 6:00 pm 
penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 11:02 am 
My sister and her 3 year old daughter were murdered at that mine on March 14, 1973. I have always been interested in the history of that area.

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 pm 
Oh, I am so sorry about that. My family camped along Chickamin Creek from the mid-1960's until the mid-1970's, and I remember this very well. The rumor at the time was that it was the caretaker at the mine complex, but that was just a rumor. It creeped me out, though. My condolences to you and your family. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm 
Quote:
My family camped along Chickamin Creek from the mid-1960's until the mid-1970's, and I remember this very well. The rumor at the time was that it was the caretaker at the mine complex, but that was just a rumor. It creeped me out, though. My condolences to you and your family. Cliff
Cliff, wow somebody who actually remembers this. Yes, it was in fact the caretaker of the place. Not to be morbid, but he was her husband. They were the caretakers for just a couple of years when this happened. I was in high school at the time and lived in another state. For a long time I have wanted to go up to Trinity, but I understand it is private property now.

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 pm 
Now that brings it back for me, too. By that I mean your sister's husband being the killer. What a horrible thing for your family to have to go through. My father was a Seattle Police homicide detective so I have a small inkling of what families have to go through, from him. I think the mine has been on private property for many years and is actually owned by Trinity Conservancy group now. You can drive fairly close to the complex at the Phelps Creek campground. It's been a few years since I've been up there, however. The Trinity Conservancy website has a history link: http://trinityconservancy.org/history.html Take care, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 am 
Cliff, Once again thanks for sharing what you know on the subject, and the link. I truly appreciate it. Kristi

salish

salish
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm 
My pleasure.