Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Fenwick Park (Kent) & West Hylebos St. Park (Fed. Way)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 6:03 pm 
It was too beautiful out to stay in so I tried out 2 parks I had never been to before. I used the Nature Walks in & Around Seattle book. 1) Lake Fenwick Park - This was an odd place, kind of grungy on the road/trail side but lots of birds. Birds like crazy actually, including king fishers, eagles, mergansers and other assorted ducks. I was kind of spooked by the eastern part of this park but I was drawn down the stairs by a pecking pileated woodpecker who was too smart to allow me a clear photo.
Cormorants at Lake Fenwick
Cormorants at Lake Fenwick
Sun Bathing
Sun Bathing
Ugh
Ugh
scrappy woods at lake fenwick park
scrappy woods at lake fenwick park
2) West Hylebos State Park - driving directions were wrong but I figured it out that the non-existent exit 147B was really 142B. When I pulled into the parking area, I noticed many disturbing "closed" signs. But inspired by the "places you're not supposed to be" thread, I headed on in and didn't set the alarm off. There must have been major storm damage here from last year as many trees were down and a brand SPANKING new board walk has been built with fancy benches all the way around this area. It's not quite finished in here but it's all walkable. I didn't see much in the way of wildlife but it was a very pleasant set of loops.
Closed?
Closed?
Trail head alarm
Trail head alarm
Why there is a boardwalk all the way around
Why there is a boardwalk all the way around
Boardwalk on Wheels
Boardwalk on Wheels
Chainsaw art
Chainsaw art
old boardwalk vs new boardwalk
old boardwalk vs new boardwalk

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm 
I, too, have seen those parks in the book and wondered about them. Thanks for posting a report about them.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
noremac984

noremac984
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 pm 
I grew up about a mile from Lake Fenwick, basically up at the top of the lake fenwick road hill. I used to spend quite a bit of time back there riding my bike, and there's actually quite a few trails over on the west side of the road (by the disc-golf course) if you know where to go. It's kind of funny you say it's a bit spooky there....A kid who went to the same high school as I did (a year older than me) actually murdered a woman there, on the trail just on the north side of the lake...I'm almost positive he's spending some quality time in Walla Walla right now. And that staircase.....definitely a workout!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 pm 
Thanks Cowbell. I was just reading that very book about these very parks just last night. Lots of great places to take the kids this winter and spring. up.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am 
noremac984 wrote:
It's kind of funny you say it's a bit spooky there....A kid who went to the same high school as I did (a year older than me) actually murdered a woman there, on the trail just on the north side of the lake...I'm almost positive he's spending some quality time in Walla Walla right now.
hairy.gif That's it, I'm trusting my hinking instincts from now on. I wandered around the base of the stairs for a while but just couldn't bring myself to go any further into the woods alone there. I felt like a total wuss about it too.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown