Forum Index > Trail Talk > Methow Valley Skiing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 12:49 pm 
I have a question -- how late in the season (early March? Late March? April?) is cross-country/nordic skiing typically still doable in the Methow Valley?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joe

Joe
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 3:50 pm 
As usually, it depends on how much snow the Methow valley receives that winter hockeygrin.gif In an average year, they usually groom the trails to about mid-march (10 -15). Some of the trails closer to Winthrop will be closed by mid-march. Sun Mountain, parts of Rendezvous and early winters will have snow. You can usually count on the trails being groomed through the first week of March (unless it is a really light snow year). One year we were there x-c skiing March 23 -25. They stopped grooming the next day. We had to walk a few sections (less than 100 feet) of the MVCT trail around Browns Farm. The last few years, our x-c ski trip to the Methow valley have been in late February, starting just after presidents day( ~20th). Some years the snow is great and some years the snow is starting to disappear (especially the MVCT trail from Winthrop to Wolf Ridge resort).

Joe
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 3:52 pm 
Awesomely helpful, Joe. Thanks. up.gif up.gif

Joe

Joe
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:03 pm 
If I am heading over toward the end of their x-c ski season, I start watching the grooming reports. The reports list snow depths at various locations and contain general comments on the trail conditions. Watching the reports, you can usually get a feel for how much longer the trails will be groomed. We will be in Mazama starting on Feb. 19 for 6 days, 4 days of skiing up.gif Loup Loup Pass also has two groomed areas, about 12 miles from Twisp. One side of the pass is the groomed area at the ski resort and the other side is a snow park. Both are great areas to ski. The ski resort charges $10 a day to use their trails.

Joe
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:35 pm 
wow Joe, thank you. I was watching the thread, looking for some good info. I would love to ski LoupLoup and in the Methow area

Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 4:49 pm 
I go the second weekend of March every year, and although it is sometimes thin, there has always been groomed snow to ski on at that time period. Last year, that was indeed the last weekend of grooming.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 7:48 pm 
Great thread Foist... I really want to check this area out this year. It looks like a winter wonderland up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 7:54 pm 
Oh I've been there a couple times. It's fantastic, assuming you're into cross country skiing. I'm pondering a vacation with the girlfriend, but we might not be able to go until mid March.

E's Mom

E's Mom
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 8:05 pm 
I've been to the Methow for xc skiing many times and never later than President's Day weekend. We've had abundant snow (and lots of new snow) and thin, melting snow. But we've always found plenty of good trails to ski. Like Joe said, watch the grooming reports (www.methow.com). However, if you need to make a reservation soon you might want to reserve no later than early March. My family & I are considering that time line because it's not as cold (we have a small child). If anyone hasn't been to the Methow yet and enjoys xc skiing, by all means GO!!! agree.gif

"I will lift my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1
Joe

Joe
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 8:23 pm 
ActionBetty wrote:
I really want to check this area out this year. It looks like a winter wonderland
It is a skate skiers paradise, miles of easy trails to practice your technique. I'm a classic x-c skier, there are miles of trails for me too. It is a nice change to x-c ski in the drier snow conditions on the east side of the mountains. There are close to 200 km of groomed trails in the Methow trail network. up.gif

Joe
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 4:57 pm 
Almost all the trails are open and with fresh snow predicted every day for the next week they all will be in great shape by the weekend. I just got here monday and in the upper Methow we have about 2 1/2 feet of snow left on the ground from the 4 feet of snowfall a week ago. I've been out snowshoeing (and shoveling) all day. Since there was rain after the snow the surface is crusty in places. Lots of snowshoe hare and still whitetail deer but the mulies are all down valley. I see flakes starting as I write. smile.gif

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Dec 11, 2007 7:38 pm 
I need some enunciation clarification please. Is it pronounced Me Toe like snow, or Me Tau like plow, or Me thou like thousand ?

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 8:36 pm 
For those that are keeping score, the MVSTA has suspended trail grooming today. There is still a lot of good skiing left but the MVSTA will not be requiring trail passes since they are not grooming anymore. Anybody who wants some free skiing, the trails should be in good shape for another couple of weeks.