Forum Index > Trip Reports > mt catherine from annette lake trailhead 1-26-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 10:12 pm 
mt catherine 1-26-08 we had a very fun three generational trip up mt catherine today. the snow and route were in fantastic shape. we parked a few feet from i-90 exit 47 and followed the easy and beaten snow lake annette trail to the railroad grade. we took a left and walked maybe 30 meters where we donned our snowshoes. from here we headed up the not too steep slope, through the not brushy trees on a general heading a few degrees south of east. we soon reached one open slope below ollalie meadows. we are not big fans of taking risks with avy terrain, but we did not feel this was risky - slope was low angle and looked reasonably consolidated, except for the new snow. we reached ollalie meadows and followed on the side of a plowed road heading towards chatty cathy's west ridge. we left the road and followed the easy top of the ridge to just west of the summit. here we traversed barely below the ridge on its north side and hiked up to the summit. today was a piece of cake. four of the five of us carried ice axes, but no one even considered using them(and i am the type that usually pulls my axe out when no one else would). the others used two poles. for me, one pole was more than sufficient. if the snow conditions were different an axe would be mandatory. all in our group had a very easy time - from the youngest(a mid-twenties newbie) to the oldest (late 60's). this trip proved so much easier than expected that we stopped on the way back for some calisthenics and a number of snowshoe races (in which i was sorely trounced). thanks to all our great group: m.e. who braved a sore hip, fast-feet jt for the fantastic route finding, breaking 98% of the trail and then kicking all our tails in the races, mh for the great attitude and db who is always a pleasure. ~ 8mi ~ 3300' gain - about 5hrs rt without a lot of effort.
our approximate route
our approximate route
it looks like trail pair found our tracks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 1:05 am 
Looks like a fun way to get to Catherine. I was up there last Sunday and came from Hyak via Nordic Pass. Thanks for the route idea biggrin.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 am 
This is a creative way to get to Catherine and neatly avoids the snopark madness at Gold Creek. Good work. It's hard to believe it's as easy as you say -- maybe we should ask jt!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 10:10 am 
up.gif Up the gut ! hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 am 
puzzlr wrote:
avoids the snopark madness at Gold Creek.
Or you can just park in Hyak and avoid the Sno-Park too biggrin.gif