Forum Index > Trip Reports > Welcome Pass & Point 5933 (1/21/08) & Sadie's Point!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 pm 
We remember well what a steep sucka it is climbing up to Welcome Pass....but what a great ridge to 'shoe! cool.gif Matt keep in touch when you want a retrun trip to that area. We are hoping to get up to Church Moutain this winter ....on a good day.....maybe even as an overnighter. Beautiful area...Those are some fine pics! up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
WelcomePass
Matt, MtnMan and Dicey...great shots! Several are "world class"! What a great adventure....I am awed that you did it in one day! Amazing! Baker and Shuksan never looked better! Beautiful snow layering...when I was a kid I saw this kind of wind sculpting along the lake shore (Lake Erie). It has an interesting "crust" and "squeeks" when you walk on it...it cold enough. There is nothing like it...you don't want to disturb it and yet you want to roll on it...the nifty stuff it is! p.s., I looked forward all day to look at these photos after I "peeked" at the first few this morning. Wow! What a reward! As I said earlier, "Platinum Medal" photos and adventure!

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 10:54 pm 
What an awesome trip with beautiful pics to prove it! Very nice, thanks! agree.gif up.gif up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 pm 
That just looks so cool, you guys! I even learned a new word today: sastrugi. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Jan 29, 2008 11:34 pm 
I never knew that was called Damfino Peak, thought it was just another point on the ridge. I'll need to get up there one of these times in the winter, looks well worth the effort up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am 
Yeah, that's another one I'll add to my list. I'd like to do it in winter, but it's a long way to go in a day. About 15 miles, 6000 gain round trip, due to ups and downs along the way. Plus possibly a bit of 4th class at the end. Beckey says 2nd/3rd class, but I don't trust him. Might need to camp somewhere on High Divide, which I just learned is the name of the ridge that includes Welcome & Excelsior.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 am 
Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through your wintry experiences on one of my favorite sections of earth . I can't imagine what type of justice those conditions do for a hot cup of tea.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 12:29 am 
Fabulous Report & jaw-dropping pics!! Thanks for sharing them. up.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 1:39 am 
After the trip, I learned another bonus feature of this route is that it includes Sadie’s Point. Midway between Welcome Pass and Point 5933 is Point 5743. Unbeknownst to me, I’ve seen a photo of that point many times before, because it’s the location of Sadie’s Driver’s avatar photo of Sadie. It’s an honor to now have visited a point associated with such an esteemed mountain traveler as Sadie.
Sadie at Point 5743
Sadie at Point 5743
The WTA trip report for Sadie’s photo is here.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 am 
Beautiful pictures Matt! cool.gif smile.gif up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 am 
Matt wrote:
After the trip, I learned another bonus feature of this route is that includes Sadie’s Point. Midway between Welcome Pass and Point 5933 is Point 5743. Unbeknownst to me, I’ve seen a photo of that point many times before, because it’s the location of Sadie’s Driver’s avatar photo of Sadie. It’s an honor to now have visited a point associated with such an esteemed mountain traveler as Sadie.
Sadie at Point 5743
Sadie at Point 5743
The WTA trip report for Sadie’s photo is here.
Thanks, Matt - that's so nice of you - but tell me, were you missing a sandwich at lunch time? If so, I know who got it!!! lol.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 am 
Matt is fast becoming our poet and artist in residence. agree.gif What a great TR.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
ree

ree
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 am 
I agree Scrooge. up.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm 
Matt wrote:
Destination: Edit: Another bonus feature of this route is that it includes Sadie’s Point. Midway between the pass and Point 5933 is Point 5743. Unbeknownst to me, I’ve seen a photo of that point many times before, because it’s the location of Sadie’s Driver’s avatar photo of Sadie. It’s an honor to now have visited a point associated with such an esteemed mountain traveler as Sadie!
Never Stop Exploring!!! Or, whenever possible, retracing Sadie's famous steps! wink.gif J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm 
Sadie's summit
Matt, how nice to name the iconic Sadie in your notes. Sadie's Driver certainly misses her companion...and, it so helps to bring smiles and joy to all of such a beautiful dog in so grand a place. I must go there with my pups and see if they find the sandwich crumbs! Your photos really push me to plan to go up there this summer. It's one of those places I overlooked in all my really active, hiking years. Can't wait to see what is to be seen! Thank you, again, for all the beautiful photos on that ridge!