Forum Index > The Trading Post > FS: New 8gb black Zune
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 2:17 pm 
I got an 8gb black Zune as part of an event, but I'm a Mac user and already have a full complement of iPods. It's brand new with all the standard stuff. It does have an engraving on the back from the event (PM me for the engraving details) and is preloaded with a bunch of conference material, but I think that can all be deleted. Anybody interested? $150 Amazon listing for the same product

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 pm 
I'll trade you two 16mb SD cards for the Zune lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 9:24 pm 
From you I'll take $149.95. :P

Damian

Damian
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 9:37 pm 
I own a Zune. Seems one unique feature is the ability to subscribe for $15/mo. With this you have access to anything in their store. Which you own as long as you maintain your subscription. Not a bad plan, sort of. But if you are considering switching from Ipod to Zune remember music bought on Itunes is generally not compatible with Zune unless they are MP3 format. Something to think about if you have a huge library of M4P's. You can buy conversion software.

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostWed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 pm 
Damian wrote:
Something to think about if you have a huge library of M4P's. You can buy conversion software.
The software you can purchase to do this - Tunebite is really not good. It takes hours! Trust me, I've done it. If you need to convert, use MyFairTunes(Win) or Fairtunes(Mac). They take substantially less time and are free. I know in Linux you can do it in a matter of seconds for each song. Find a friend with it! Or I could start a business and charge. hockeygrin.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 12:01 am 
We bought a Zune and regretted it ever since. Tisha keeps asking for a new iPod but how am I gonna buy a zero degree bag if I keep feeding her electronics fix?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 12:01 am 
Make more money! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Damian

Damian
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 12:03 am 
Schmidt Alti-dude wrote:
We bought a Zune and regretted it ever since. Tisha keeps asking for a new iPod but how am I gonna buy a zero degree bag if I keep feeding her electronics fix?
Whats wrong with your Zune?

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 12:13 am 
IPod really has the market niche for these. Finding accessories like the IPod has is very difficult, expensive, and the variety of what you find is quite limited. I liked the big screen and interface, but the extremely poor battery life has left me frustrated. It's also quite big (I have the original 30G they first came out with.) I guess I also find the user interface for syncing less than intuitive and difficult in getting it to do what you want it to do.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 am 
I agree with the problems with the synching with the Zune. I too have the 30gb unit, the battery life problem does seemed to have been fixed with the new firmware that was issued when the other Zune devices were released. I also agree with the comment made regarding accessories for the Zunes, overpriced and limited selection. Aftermarket companies don't seem to have jumped onboard the Zune wagon and therfore are not making products for them as they have for IPod. But alas I did spend the $200 for the device which I plan on making full use of until it's demise, whenever that is.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:05 pm 
What is the problem synching? You drag crap onto an icon. Even I can do it. Can't imagine it being simpler.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:25 pm 
Damian wrote:
What is the problem synching? You drag crap onto an icon. Even I can do it. Can't imagine it being simpler.
The problem with synching the Zune is that the software wants to auto-synch everytime you connect the Zune, even if you have the auto-synch option turned off. It is a big problem that a lot of zuners are aware of but Microshaft has not figured out a solution yet................ the software creates a synch group that contains all the music in ones library. A lot of people are getting duplicate copies of songs on their devices. You must be one of the very few who has not had to deal with this problem. Problems like that get me a step closer to selling my Zune and getting an IPod Classic.

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm 
I'm going to pretend I'm not insulted by this. irked.gif The problem does not occur during the first sync, and it is not a user problem where one can't figure out dragging and dropping files. It is a program fault where if you want to change any of the lists or items you have synced, the program freaks out and freezes and sometimes shuts down on you. Other times, it decides it wants to update to the Update Manager, and if you do this, you lose where you were and must essentially start over. Unless of course you choose to not update, which holds this threat off. Then, since the Zune is not supplied with an AC adapter charger, (and I find it very frustrating to have to spend another $30 on this thing and wait for it to charge before I can sync it) if your little Zune is even a little close to being out of batteries it will not sync, it will just die. But since it's supposed to charge via the USB cord, you would think it would just simply charge if the program is closed or what not. Noooooo.....it just won't do anything essentially making me have to figure out another means to charge it which really makes me angry mad.gif. I didn't want to have to spend more money on this stupid little device! Just make it work with what was supplied! mad.gif I hope I have convinced you that this is not a simple "even idiots should be able to sync these things" because I am not by any means a computer illiterate individual. Sorry for the rant embarassedlaugh.gif but I did feel like my intelligence was being attacked. Ditto on Bryan up.gif up.gif

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:39 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Sorry for the rant embarassedlaugh.gif but I did feel like my intelligence was being attacked:
Oops. Guess I chose the wrong words. I only intend to insult Quark on this forum. My appologies. My Zune was a Christmas gift and is brand new. Maybe they've addressed the problems? It doesn't exhibit the snyching problems noted in this thread. Hence my confusion, and poorly crafted post. I have zero patience with software glitches on expensive modern devices. I'd be the first to whine it I were having problems with it too.

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:49 pm 
Okay you've been crossed off my "PEOPLE TO KILL" list. wink.gif No worries, Damian. smile.gif Poor, Quark, though. shakehead.gif