Forum Index > Trip Reports > Risking suffocation on Mount Walker: Part Two 12/29/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
**Author’s Note: This trip report is conducted in a tongue-in-cheek style. We have the utmost respect for the current winter conditions and the threats they pose** Even with all the doom and gloom broadcast about the recent weather, we just had to risk our lives conquering Mount Walker. This unassailable monstrosity of trees, dirt, and rock had been mocking us for years with its untouched summit. Thus, when MtnWkr suggested an attempt of the summit this weekend we couldn’t say no. Because of the amount of time needed for this climb we agreed to meet at the trailhead at the crack of 1:00PM. To our dismay, the road was closed adding unaccounted miles to our ordeal. We struggled into our best extreme condition gear (wool beanies, down gloves, fluffy pink down jacket) and set out on our adventure.
Half-way break
Half-way break
Will we ever make it - oh my!!!  :eek:
Will we ever make it - oh my!!! eek.gif
Thinking that we would be the only ones crazy enough to attempt the insane, we were surprised to be passed by four different groups heading dejectedly towards their cars as we made our way up. The last defeated victim warned us the final accent was quite icy and slick. Fool, we knew his game. Trying to turn us back from what he could not accomplish - but we weren’t falling for it.
Trudging bravely ahead
Trudging bravely ahead
Braving the deadly conditions
Braving the deadly conditions
Mighty mountain men conquer the lookout
Mighty mountain men conquer the lookout
The sky was a thick angry grey but we hoped it would hold. About half way up the mountain, those clouds, enraged by our audacity, decided to throw their best at us in the form of tiny white ice particles that could be heard crashing down on the leaves of the salal and rhododendrons around us. We had to be careful to keep our heads down or else one risked losing something vital – like a contact or something.
Dangerous conditions
Dangerous conditions
About three quarters of the way up the trail was completely covered with snow, making the going treacherous. We worried about white out conditions and all agreed that if worse came to worse we would eat the whippets first, and Tisha next since she is a blue eyed mutant and thus of lower genetic quality (the strong must survive).
Please don't eat us
Please don't eat us
Finally, against all odds, the trail started opening up and we wept with tears of relief upon arriving at the North summit. Some sort of structure had been erected that we assumed must be the summit marker – it must have been helicoptered in. The powder was a dangerous three inches. We had to walk with care because if one of us fell face first and couldn’t turn their heads they would suffocate in a matter of hours. About five minutes after our summit, another party arrived up the trail wearing jeans and sneakers – they obviously benefited from our trail breaking to become the second ones to conquer this treacherous mountain.
Unidentified structure - summit marker maybe?
Unidentified structure - summit marker maybe?
Conquering heroes
Conquering heroes
But the view make all the misery worth it
But the view make all the misery worth it
To further ensure our glory we did not stop here. To claim total domination of the mountain we decided we must traverse to the South Summit and bag it as well. We never saw the other party again; for all we know they may have become another tragedy on this deadly mountain. Though the way to the other summit strained the backcountry navigation skills we have learned through years of hiking, we made it in surprisingly good time. Luckily we had made our supplies last and weren’t forced to eat one or both of the dogs.
Serious backcountry route-finding to South summit
Serious backcountry route-finding to South summit
The Tisha-nator broke this mountain
The Tisha-nator broke this mountain
The "there was enough food so they aren't going to eat me" dance
The "there was enough food so they aren't going to eat me" dance
We must keep her fat for next time
We must keep her fat for next time
After filling our bellies with enough fuel to ensure that we could keep our core temperatures up through the arduous trek back, we left the summit. Going downhill forced us into a quicker pace. Each of us was on edge, waiting for the out of control crash that thankfully never happened. We managed to make it back to our vehicles before dark descended and headed home with that warmth in our souls that only conquering the impossible can bring.
Navigating back to the car
Navigating back to the car
On edge waiting for the out-of-control crash
On edge waiting for the out-of-control crash
Relief at the trailhead
Relief at the trailhead

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 9:54 pm 
Are you three insane?!? Thank God I didn't have to come rescue you. The taxpayers would have been pissed. Way to man up. And woman up. And dog up.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 9:54 pm 
I was on the edge of my seat reading this. Would they make it out alive? eek.gif Well, at least one of you had to in order to post this hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 10:18 pm 
cripes, i was gripping my computer as i read your report! i knew you all made it back to safety but at times i was unsure. i hung on the fact that 2 of the olympic peninsula's finest will make us proud that they conquered the mighty walker. oh the whippets, too. great job on your summit bid!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm 
I don't know what I am more appalled by: the fact that you three (er... five) undertook such a dangerous and irresponsible task, or the fact that you dare gloat shamelessly about this endeavor on the Internet. Next thing you know, some naive hiker will read your TR and think it's okay to try going to Mt. Walker. It's pure luck that you survived at all, not some sort of mad skillz to chestbeat about! I am repulsed and ashamed to have ever met you people. I think you should all immediately change your avatar photos to this:

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 pm 
Preparing for the arduous adventure ahead
Preparing for the arduous adventure ahead
Jeramy and I agreeing that blue eyes would go first
Jeramy and I agreeing that blue eyes would go first
blue eyed mutant
blue eyed mutant
waiting for whippet treats
waiting for whippet treats

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 10:55 pm 
And the whippets live to be eaten another day! Thanks for the laugh, even though you foolishly risked your lives. *tsk*

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm 
Aaah, yes...we've considered munching on Bobby's muscular thighs on many a terrifying wilderness experience. It's a good thing we chose such beefy breeds!

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 1:47 am 
A true story of struggle and survival. I'm guessing a new bestseller.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 5:55 am 
I am so disappointed that I did not see the aforementioned pink down fluffy jacket frown.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 2:40 pm 
Don't try this at home! eek.gif Now, when you eat dogs, are they on or off leash? smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm 
Crikey, what a seat sucker! eek.gif I'm sure the Super Bowl will be a real yawner in comparison.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 5:04 pm 
As much as I enjoyed reading about this perilous 1st ascent (in the Winter!), I'm not sure if the next adventure will turn out as well. Rolling the dice there. The whippets might suspect something if you start feeding them extra goodies before the next hike. lol.gif

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 5:24 pm 
Very nice. Really enjoyed your report. Seems like you guys had so much fun.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
A true story of struggle and survival. I'm guessing a new bestseller.
Ya, we thought it was on par with Joe Simpson's "Touching the Void" clown.gif
smultringunn wrote:
we've considered munching on Bobby's muscular thighs on many a terrifying wilderness experience.
We've always said that the legs were the only part worth eating.
Here's the beef
Here's the beef
peltoms wrote:
I am so disappointed that I did not see the aforementioned pink down fluffy jacket frown.gif
We never got a picture of the jacket because of the white-out conditions but here is one from a trip last year
Fluffy pink down jacket
Fluffy pink down jacket
treeswarper wrote:
Now, when you eat dogs, are they on or off leash? smile.gif
If they are on leash you have something to floss your teeth with later
yukon222 wrote:
I'm not sure if the next adventure will turn out as well. The whippets might suspect something if you start feeding them extra goodies before the next hike. lol.gif
Oh come on, they'll eat anything we put in front of them without a second thought.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season