Forum Index > Trip Reports > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Quark, PIB, and I went up to the top of the lighthouse. PIB has a posted photo of the spit taken from up there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtngrl

mtngrl
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 am 
Beautiful shots!

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 12:16 pm 
Great shots, seawall I like the one of moonlight in the secret garden up.gif up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 1:19 pm 
Great shots!

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 5:58 pm 
Yeah the secret garden is really nice. Was it actually 68 seconds exposure? I also like the first Fort Casey. I'm a sucker for wide angle. PnB, I like the lighthouses and the last shot. Great photos everyone.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm 
GGW is open to having a GTG sometime this summer at their cabin-lilliwap (spelling), i think. i already placed dibs on one of the many beds! the rest of you, rock, paper, scissors!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 11:31 pm 
Was it actually 68 seconds exposure? thanks guys for the compliments! yes indeed the 'secret garden' exposure was 68 seconds... there was a slight breeze, so there is some movement in the branches. We were armed with tripods so it was just a matter of pressing the shutter, and walking over and join in the conversation already in progress... and from time to time, one of us would remember that there's a shutter that needs unshuttering smile.gif dizzy.gif

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am 
Great photos everyone!! I wish I had more of the long exposure ones to share but alas the condensation we all suffered from ruined most of my long exposures. frown.gif

JimK

JimK
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 am 
I finally finished my report with 30 photos. My report follows and here is a link to all the photos: Dungeness Spit Report And Photos I had only hiked Dungeness Spit one time before. That was in April of 2002. It makes a great winter or spring trip when the high country is buried under snow. The day before I had snowshoed up Mt. Catherine. That was pretty tiring so a nice flat hike sounded good to me. Janet put together a photography weekend with a number of nwhikers.net members. Some of them camped out Saturday night at the Dungeness campgrounds. We chose to make it a day trip. I went with Kim and Kirsten. We were on the Seattle Bainbridge ferry at 7:55. We pulled into the lot a little before 10:00 AM. There is a $3.00 fee to enter the wildlife sanctuary. As we walked over to the trailhead we met Janet, Rick, Vita, and Claire. Vita and Claire were down from Vancouver for the weekend. Nwhikers was well represented on the spit. It was a sunny day. We have not had many of those this winter. The high was forecast to reach the low 50's which is a real heat wave. It was fun to meet Vita, who posts as "seawallrunner". I have read her posts for years. Part of me wanted to return to the lighthouse five miles down the beach. Part of me was just happy to have a camera and enjoy the views. On my previous visit I did not take a camera. We began slowly with lots of photos and not much hiking. Soon seawallrunner and Claire had to head back home and our group became a bit smaller. An hour into the hike we were no more than a mile along. At some point the hiking overtook the photos. Our pace picked up. High tide was right around our starting time. At first we were forced high on the beach. That meant walking on rocks and gravel. As the tide went out we could walk farther down where there was sand as well as rocks. The walking became a whole lot easier. The spit makes a turn to the right which hides the lighthouse from view. You can see it anywhere by going to the top of the ridge. The other side of the spit is the sanctuary and is off limits to hikers. We would occasionally pop up to see how far away the lighthouse appeared. The problem with a flat hike is you never seem to make any progress. There is the lighthouse and a mile later is looks the same. At noon we took a break for some food and water. At this point we began to talk about pushing on to the lighthouse. The walk was interesting. Kirsten found a Pacific Giant Chiton. We saw an otter on his back eating while a seagull tried to nab his meal. We also saw a few eagles on or above the spit. As we rounded the bend in the spit the lighthouse came into view ahead of us. It still did not seem any closer. At long long last we made it to the lighthouse. Members of the lighthouse association sign up to be volunteers for a week at a time. They and their gear are trucked down the spit. Our friendly hosts were glad to provide us with a tour. There is a small history museum in the lighthouse. It was built in 1857. At that time Seattle was not much more than a few houses. It was originally 100 feet tall but was shortened to 63 feet. There is only room for three guests at a time at the top. From only 63 feet up you can see all the way back down the spit. There were mileage markers to cities and mountains. One showed that it was only 2 miles to the Three Crabs Restaurant. That was our after hike destination. After the tour we headed down for some more photos. A recent nwhikers thread extolled the "hotness" of women who hike. That combined with a general feeling that all the Backpacker magazine cover models look to be anything but real hikers led to some shenanigans. Kim, Janet, and Bobbi, proceeded to give there opinion of what a hot woman backpacker looks like. You'll have to see the photos to believe it. Certainly a highlight of any recent hike I have been on. Bobbi is another nwhikers member. She had headed out ahead of us and we met part way down the spit. It was about 2:40 when we finally packed up and headed back. We did not make it far when we spotted a seal laying on the beach near us. Much more picture taking ensued. Now all we had to do was grind out 5 more miles of sand and gravel. It had warmed up as the day went by. I managed to do the hike back in short sleeves. It has been months since I last did that. We made much better time coming back as the low tide allowed lots of bare sand to walk on. A few of our members had not done a 10 mile hike in a long time and they did very well. With the exception of some more photos we kept up a steady pace most all the way. As we came off the beach into the trees for the last climb to the trailhead it was instantly much colder. Like walking into a refrigerator. It was a very nice sunny day but it is still winter. Our whole group headed on to the Three Crabs for a nice dinner. From there we hightailed it home. As we left Highway 101 a board stated there was a two hour delay for the Kingston-Edmonds ferry. We chose to head back to the Bainbridge Island ferry. Thanks to the guy ahead of us driving 10 miles under the speed limit we just missed that ferry but we were near the front of the line for the 8:55 ferry leaving 45 miinutes later. It was almost 10:00 PM by the time I arrived home. Fifteen hours made for a long but enjoyable day. The weather was fantastic and the company was great too. I enjoyed meeting Vita, Claire, Rich, and Bobbi. It was nice to see Janet and Kirsten again too. After not having a camera on my previous trip, I found it much nicer to record the day in pictures. It really is amazing to live where I can travel 50 miles and be snowshoeing on 10 feet of snow and then go a similar distance in the other direction and have a warm day at the beach. Both trips made for a great weekend. Here are a few of my photos:
Seawallrunner
Seawallrunner
Camo Quark
Camo Quark
Olympics
Olympics
Mt. Baker And Lighthouse
Mt. Baker And Lighthouse
Log
Log
Bones?
Bones?
Caretaker's House
Caretaker's House
Flagpole
3 labels
Flagpole
Cairns
Cairns

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 pm 
The HOTNESS you gals have exuded in this TR have had a profound effect on me. Today, I braided my hair just to walk out and get the newspaper. I think I heard my cat whistle at me, too. up.gif Ya'll are a good influence.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 5:55 pm 
goats.......take a picture of your braids/pom poms!! i bet you exuded hotness when you left the front door, the west end temps rose 25 degrees! you are the cats meow biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 8:54 pm 
I admit, I did have a hot flash when I did all that walking. lol.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm 
Someone was having entriely too much fun this weekend. shakehead.gif strange.gif Thanks for bringing back nice memories from one of my funnest trips last year. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 pm 
Jim, nice write-up. No offense to PiB, but your write-ups are always good. Nice photos too. I guess I'm just a hack at photography 'cause mine are all yuckified.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 pm 
Quark's probably just saving her amazing photos for the WTA contest and pretending they suck. wink.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown