Forum Index > Trip Reports > 29 Pines - Pt. 3223 - 2.18-19.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drewcoll

drewcoll
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 9:52 pm 
Sunshine was everywhere, but people were not at 29 Pines. 4 cars were at the trailhead on Monday and overnight. Two snowmobiles and a couple backpacking. We stayed at 29 Pines right along the meandering Teanaway with glimpses of some of the Teanaway peaks, especially Earl Peak. There was almost exactly 3 feet of snow and it was so quiet. No wind, just the river and the very occasional noise of a snowmobile or car. Nothing strenuous for our hike on Monday, the plan was Teanaway Butte, but we were distracted by a sunny clearcut along Jungle Creek Road and then called it a day at 12:30 by summiting the formidable pt. 3223! Views were better on the way up than at the summit. The cinder cone was visible (pt. 4???) Overnight was pretty chilly and there was a mentionable amount of frost on absolutely everything. Some sort of dog (coyotes, wolves?) howled overnight and we woke up to some footprints very near our tents! Almost a full moon. The snow had about 9" of a crusty slab on top of a lot of dry snow. A surface hoar/sun crust was forming. Pictures:
3223 Summit
3223 Summit
Animal Tracks
Animal Tracks
Lazy Views
Lazy Views
N. Fk. Teanaway
N. Fk. Teanaway
Morning
Morning
First Rays of Sun on the River
First Rays of Sun on the River
Teanaway Peaks
Teanaway Peaks
Canine Tracks
Canine Tracks
Chilly River
Chilly River
Secret River Bunker?!!
Secret River Bunker?!!
Teanaway Valley
Sorry, no good pictures of Stewart...
Sorry, no good pictures of Stewart...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 pm 
I like chilly river and first light photos. Nice color - the red stalk on first light means spring is on it's way! Snow at the campground? I don't think I'd like to camp in the butt-freezing cold for no reason. I'd've stayed at a cute little motel in Cle Elum then drove out. I'm a wuss.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message