Forum Index > Trip Reports > Some things I saw in Lynnwood on Tuesday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 11:33 pm 
Tuesday evening, Brown's Bay (Lynnwood), I took Daisy over to Meadowdale beach park by parking at the beach access spot, but couldn't walk on the beach due to high tide, so we walked into the park by the road that the ranger uses to get to his cabin. We went through the tunnel under the railroad tracks and out onto the sand spit that is open even at the highest tides. I brought my camera this time, having learned my lesson the day before when a beautiful sunset at the same place went unrecorded except in my memory. I played with the dog to tucker her out, then settled in to watch the sunset. Luckily I had brought a whole pack full of warm clothes, and some beverages to keep off the evening's chill. The sunset was awesome, very golden, with lots of birds for effect. I try not to stage my pictures, but I must admit to moving so that the birds were in the pictures. Is that cheating? We stayed until the last light was gone, then walked the now-uncovered-by-the-tide beach back to the car. Here are some pics, sorry if some are very similar. I just picked out some favorites quickly.
Action shot
Action shot
Golden glow
Golden glow
Layers
Layers
Sky
Sky
More sunset
More sunset
Even more...
Even more...
Sunset
Sunset

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostWed Feb 20, 2008 11:50 pm 
Thx for sharing Sluggo. Your rich appreciation of life's subtle beauty is always inspiring.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 am 
I was there a week ago to check on the trail repair progress. Unfortunately nothing has been done yet. Dougs proposed reroute around the major damage is gonna need some work to be passable. The tides were really low when I went, so the beach was an easy walk in and out from the alternate parking area. It was so low I got to walk out pretty far on the bottom, enough to see the shape of the shoals that are usually underwater. I was happy to see the creek flowing under the tread in the tunnel, making walking through far less treacherous Have you noticed the old run down shack on the top of the hill before you go into the park ? Its on the sound side of the street, almost at the end. I like the giant Tudor style place that sits on the hill on the north side of the canyon, man whatta spread that guys got. What about the poor dog that can only huff instead of barking, I always hear him when I walk the beach between the two spots. My last trip I did ponder on what force brought those huge logs in and deposited them high up in the railroad grade rocks. High enough to walk under them without ducking at the waterline, glad I wasnt there at the time. When I read the title of your report though, I immediately thought you were going to mention the Seafair pirates. I saw them twice in Bothell yesterday. First time the crew was all outside on the deck while they were cruising in the Piratemobile down B/E highway. It wasnt real warm out, especially at 45 mph, in the morning, but they looked like they were in good spirits, waving and hooting as they went by. Later in the afternoon I saw the Piratemobile again, but with no crew, only the driver. Where did the pirates go. paranoid.gif Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am 
I now park at the alternate parking area despite the tide, and just walk the road as necessary. My favorite way is to have Tanja drop me and Daisy off and pick us up later, as that disposes of the "no parking after dusk" problem. I do always notice the huffing dog. I think he probably barked himself out. I knew another collie once that did that. If the tide permits I like to head south, away from the park, around the point to where you can see the Edmonds ferry terminal. The parking place is only 1.5 miles from my house.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 1:29 am 
I like the birds on the sunset waters.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
silence

silence
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 am 
slugman ... is the park open now??

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 pm 
Puget Sound's quiet and subtle colors at sunset
No apologies, Slugman, those are beautiful shots! I have bundles of sunset photos from Meadowdale beach. The tunnel under RR tracks....cleaned up? Last I read, it was dumped full of debris and crud. How will those salmon fry get out? Will there be any fry exiting under the wooded deck walk throught the tunnel....or did the eggs just wash away? Is the Park open or still closed and off limits? The entry gate sign is most threatening with big fines, arrest, etc.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 9:01 pm 
The park is still closed. The trail is still too damaged to allow access from the upper parking lot. You can walk in on the driveway the ranger uses, which is gated, but there is no parking there. There is an area that has parking for about 6 vehicles just above the old Meadowdale marine terminal. From here you can walk to the gate, and continue into the park. If the tide is low, you can walk the beach less than a mile north to the park as well. The supersecret parking area is south of the park, and you have to follow a few twists and turns to get there, but for now its all we Meadowdale afficionados have. wink.gif Type : 16198 76th PL. W. Edmonds , WA. 98026-4551 into whatever online map service you like, take whatever route gets you there from where you are, parking is on the beach side of the street. Enjoy your walk. smile.gif

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 pm 
Nice pics Slugman. We are very fortunate, those of us who live within spitting distance of this place. I walk this beach often when the tide is low enough, sometimes up to Meadowdale, sometimes all the way into downtown Edmonds when tides are really low in the spring. Many times I don't see another soul the whole walk. Ranger and I were just down at the beach last Sunday from my secret access point. mum.gif
Me and Ranger, chillin' at the beach.
Me and Ranger, chillin' at the beach.
Ranger running on the beach.
Ranger running on the beach.
It is perhaps worth noting that the City of Lynnwood has just a sliver of shoreline at the location of their sewage treatment plant. Aside from that, all the shoreline is City of Edmonds right up to the southern boundary of Meadowdale Beach County Park.

Let me stand next to your fire
silence

silence
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 am 
thanks cj ... been really missing the hike down this winter; living nearby spent many many hours on the beach btwn picnic pt and meadowdale, esp fun in summer -- with my pup ringo -- silly dog loved the sand and gulls and logs, but hated the wave action (a shepherd); and exploring the fields and forests above norma beach b-4 all the fancy houses. anyway, now we’re down near town and have thought often about doing the run up the beach in low tide -- this spring for sure!! i read harvey mannings's walking the beach to bellingham last fall -- and felt a real kinship having lived in edmonds for 20yrs -- i think many of you locals would really enjoy it, too -- esp the beach walking from richmond beach to mukilteo. slugman .. your images are great this morn the sky color with setting moon over the olys (mostly obscured by clouds) was very beautiful

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 5:35 pm 
Meadowdale Beach
Stones....great dog, your Ranger! Nice scene on the beach! I grew up very close to Lake Erie and the beach was my play area until off to college. So...I have a serious kinship to beach life and sunsets over water.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 pm 
I just found out I'm heading to the real beach this weekend, to Olympic National Park, for three days of backpacking adventure! biggrin.gif I mean, Meadowdale is nice, but it doesn't compare to wilderness ocean beach. And check out this weather forecast: La Push, Washington Sunday Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain south part. Highs in the upper 40s. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Sunday night Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s to lower 40s. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Monday Mostly sunny. Highs around 50. Monday night Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 30s. Tuesday Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 50s. dance.gif chickenleg.gif blowout.gif ace.gif humpy.gif rocker.gif souse.gif banana.gif breakdance.gif

Doomgoggles
Valar

Doomgoggles
Valar
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 3:22 am 
Yeah I live in Meadowdale too...maybe they'll get around to fixing the trail after they fix Olympic View Drive... dizzy.gif

Now for wrath, now for ruin...and the Red Dawn!
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 10:01 am 
OVD is now open. up.gif And 76th, too.

Let me stand next to your fire