Forum Index > Trip Reports > Narada Falls at Rainer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Searcher

Searcher
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 pm 
On my way down from Paradise yesterday, I stopped for some coffee and to see why so many cars were in the Narada Falls lot. No waterfall to view, and it did not look like there was a trail down to the base and across from the falls, to view anything. Very steep. You don't want to get into an arresting situation there. Spotted some specs on the steep slope above, and watched in auw as they proceeded down this steep slop. I was floored to see that they were older folks, not some crazy young dare devils.
Paradise_224
Paradise_224
Paradise_232
Paradise_232
Pic from the over flowing parking lot. There was nothing to see, as far as the water fall at Narada. I assume all there were snow shoeing from this starting point.
Pic from the over flowing parking lot. There was nothing to see, as far as the water fall at Narada. I assume all there were snow shoeing from this starting point.
Paradise_238
Paradise_238
Paradise_230
Paradise_230
Paradise_226
Paradise_226
These skiers are on what usually is a road that takes you to the lake to the right. Apparently there is so much snow up there that there isn't a flat road surface to tread on. I saw some hikers that were gingerly heading across the avalanche prone area.
These skiers are on what usually is a road that takes you to the lake to the right. Apparently there is so much snow up there that there isn't a flat road surface to tread on. I saw some hikers that were gingerly heading across the avalanche prone area.
These 3 were waiting to see what the prior 2 were doing on their descent
These 3 were waiting to see what the prior 2 were doing on their descent
Paradise_242
Paradise_242
A few minutes later, these 5 people walked to the parking lot with their big wide skies. They all looked to be elderly, and I could not believe I just saw them take this dangerous route down the steep snow covered rock slope. They are amazing!
A few minutes later, these 5 people walked to the parking lot with their big wide skies. They all looked to be elderly, and I could not believe I just saw them take this dangerous route down the steep snow covered rock slope. They are amazing!
Part of the full lot. I saw this on the way up, and kept going to Paradise. I have never seen this lot so full before. I thought maybe Paradise lots are full, but there was plenty of space up there at 10:30 when I arrived.
Part of the full lot. I saw this on the way up, and kept going to Paradise. I have never seen this lot so full before. I thought maybe Paradise lots are full, but there was plenty of space up there at 10:30 when I arrived.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 pm 
Ahem huh.gif ....Describe "elderly".....to you? hmmm.gif Thanks for the pic's up.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Searcher

Searcher
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 12:16 pm 
Elderly is anyone my age or older. I was going to call these people Gizzers, but now have too much respect for their abilities and daring.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 11:33 am 
Hehe, our group was in that lot around 930-10am on Sat, it wasn't that full at that time. I do see a few of our vehicles from your pic. The slope from above doesn't look that bad from an alpine skiing perspective. Probably around a black diamond rating at any resort. I think Randy and Don B took that route down yesterday. I would have if I had known how to get there. Haha, I think you're digging a hole with the elderly quote winksmile.gif B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 11:42 am 
Those open meadows seem like so much fun. Nice pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Canuck

Canuck
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 am 
How funny - I was standing in the parking lot at the same time you were, watching those people ski down the slope!! We waited what seemed like hours for them to get moving!! We were just returning from Paradise (snowshoeing, then xc skiing at barn flats - trip report coming tomorrow), and stopped at the falls for the same reason you did - to see what all the hub-bub was about. It was fun to watch those skiiers come down. up.gif

RonL

RonL
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm 
someone should stop these mad people before they ski again... I know one 70 year old skier in the Leavenworth area that would laugh at this.