Forum Index > Trip Reports > Narada Falls-Mazama Ridge-Stevens Canyon (and a meetup)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 8:41 pm 
~ *This entry has more photos than usual because I’m in the middle of a web host switch and the DNS isn’t resolved yet, so all you’ll get is a link to a photobucket album Today was another amazing day on Tahoma (aka Mt Rainier) for myself, Don, Kay and Lesley The forecast was for light snow in the morning and clouds in the afternoon. It wasn’t going to storm heavily, we’d already had some amazing days, so we were happy just be up there in gentle conditions (between making her own weather, avalanches, floods/lahars, and just blowing her top, [she is after all an active volcano] any trip we come back alive from is a good one.) The lady Tahoma gave us a very light “peek” and then she was gone.
We parked at Narada Falls and slogged up the Paradise River to the junction with the unplowed road. The view from the avalanche slope above Narada falls was awesome as usual
We then backtracked and headed towards the junction with Mazama Ridge. Of course, Pinnacle was not going to show its self
but the view from Mazama Ridge was spectacular!!!
Here we are at what we thought was the high point of Mazama Ridge
We continued on, and finally found the group from NWHikers. (I’ll let you guys name everyone in the picture)
Click on picture for labels
14 labels
Click on picture for labels
It was awesome to finally put some faces to screen names. (including, but not lmited to: Schmidt Altitude, Schmidt Altidude, WAmountain girl, Action Betty, Tazz, and others (if I forgot you, it’s nothing personal, we went out for margaritas after the trip. Mark (who I already know from TNAB, Dicey and Magellan were out skiing so we missed them. Rumor has it there was (ski) pole dancing and LICKING… sounds like they had a wild night; maybe next time I won’t already be committed to something else and will have stories to tell. We made the trek across the rest of Mazama Ridge (longer than we thought) around the other side of paradise and then dropped down to Stevens Canyon.
Pinnacle finally showed its self as we were getting ready to drop down to the other side of the ridge.
We had a lovely lunch overlooking Paradise; the camp robbers wasted no time in finding us
And the lady decided to show herself to us
After (fighting for our) lunch, we headed down to the Stevens Canyon Road (unplowed and off camber) and headed back down to Narada Falls
As we headed back down, she put on her hat.
By the time we hit the parking lot at Narada Falls, she had completely shrouded herself in clouds, and we never saw here again. We got very lucky on the weather and visibility today. Mileage: 6.24 Elevation gain 1,505 (partially gained and lost several times) It was an awesome day!!! We are so lucky to have this as our backyard (OK, days like this are why we don’t off ourselves in the winter) The rest of the piccies are available here (Lisa’s photobucket album for this trip until her new DNS is resolved) http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/awildcelticrose/Mazama%20Ridge%200208/ ~L

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 pm 
Beautiful photos and a great TR, as always! smile.gif

gone

gone
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 10:00 pm 
Love the camp robber shot! I've not had the experience of an extended stay like that - they've always been in and out. Great picture!

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm 
We were in and out. (had previous commitments on Saturday) I'm sure the overnight group will have fabulous stories to tell of skiing bowls and licking poles biggrin.gif

gone

gone
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 10:15 pm 
Oops, by "extended stay" I was referring to the camp robbers! I've only ever seen them swoop in, grab the goods, and then swoop off. Sorry for the confusion! smile.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 11:54 pm 
It was very nice to meet the gang up on Mazama. I'm glad you had a fun time and took some great shots. I labeled the large group photo for you.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am 
Glad you were able to get out today, find the group, and finally see the lady come out with her hat.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 7:26 am 
There was no "extended stay" involved The little flying vermin (OK, the were kind of cute) were upon us before we had our butt pads out and sat down. lol.gif

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am 
Nice pics! I'll be uploading mine tonight. I'm sure Tazz will be working on the detailed TR soon, although some pics may be withheld to protect the innocent wink.gif Sorry that I missed you up there. Dicey, Magnum, Mark, Don B, Randy, and I were lapping a bowl off of the ridge for a couple hours. We may have seen you hiking over the cornices near us though, we weren't sure who that was. All in all, an absolutely gorgeous day up there! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Aussie

Aussie
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 1:07 pm 
It was a great trip on a fabulous day. So glad we ran into the big group even though we stopped only briefly. Thanks for having me on your trip Lisa !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm 
OK Alti-dude... I give up, where is the label for the photo? ~L (dazed and confused because she's back at work)

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 pm 
click the photo then hold the mouse over the image...

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 2:00 pm 
AHA! Dazed and confused girl gets in now hockeygrin.gif Thanks smile.gif

Yet

Yet
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 7:36 pm 
Tazz wrote:
click the photo then hold the mouse over the image...
And by mouse she does not mean that one with the tail. wink.gif