Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mazama ridge GTG 2/23-2/24 "Dude...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm 
Awesome photos...I know there's more out there, can't wait to see 'em. I'll try to throw some of mine up tonight. It was great to --finally-- meet all of these peeps! biggrin.gif I had so much fun!! EDIT: now with photos! Only a choice few...so many to choose from!
Jeremy - post 'ridge' jump
Jeremy - post 'ridge' jump
Awesome
Awesome
Tahoma outlined in snow
Tahoma outlined in snow
Todd ripping it up
Todd ripping it up
Todd taking another turn
Todd taking another turn
Part of the group
Part of the group
Snowy tents in the morning
Snowy tents in the morning
Dicey & Mtn Man take some turns
Dicey & Mtn Man take some turns
Dusk has arrived
Dusk has arrived
Shadows
Shadows
Who says snowshoers can't do figure 8s?
Who says snowshoers can't do figure 8s?
Pure bliss
Pure bliss
Icicles
Icicles
Jeremy on the deathly cornice - don't jump man, don't do it!
Jeremy on the deathly cornice - don't jump man, don't do it!
Where's Rainier again?
Where's Rainier again?
The snowshoe group
The snowshoe group
Snow Shadows
Snow Shadows
Tatoosh, Todd & Jeremy
Tatoosh, Todd & Jeremy
So, should we help dig? Or should we work on our tans?
So, should we help dig? Or should we work on our tans?
Digging the cave
Digging the cave
Tatoosh
Tatoosh

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 6:17 pm 
What an awesome weekend for the trip. You scored some great pics. I'm so jealous... wish I could have made it.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 6:54 pm 
Tazz wrote:
We had Myself, dicey, AB, raz2sea, Yuckon222, BJ, Mtn Man, M. Mark, Magnum, wamtngirl, “just” Todd. Aussie and WCR popped by the camp on Sunday and met up with Randy and Donb for some skiing.
Who is Yuckon? uhh.gif lol.gif And I guess the Schmidts don't count! doh.gif clown.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 pm 
Maybe she didn't like the tequila mix I brought up? No, that can't be the reason as I definitely remember her finishing off a drink or two! lol.gif

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 7:07 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
And I guess the Schmidts don't count! doh.gif clown.gif
I think she's trying to block out the Probe licking. She kept wringing her hands on the way home saying "Schmidts don't exist, Schmidts don't exist, probes are good, probes are good....." gag.gif strange.gif slobber.gif doof.gif B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 7:58 pm 
What a fun weekend this was. Awesome people, weather and scenery. Thanks Tazz for setting this up and for having a Birthday on a perfect winter weekend. I really enjoyed meeting all you party animals.
where's camp
where's camp
base camp
base camp
cornice
cornice
ice cornice
ice cornice
who's who
who's who
looking south
looking south
let's all take pictures
let's all take pictures
highly fashionable
highly fashionable
snow cave views
snow cave views
Tazz and AB
Tazz and AB
leaving camp
leaving camp

Yet

Yet
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 pm 
I'm loving all these photos! agree.gif up.gif Can't wait for the rest. smile.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 9:30 pm 
lol.gif hey YUCK...on! lol.gif sorry dude. now I owe you 2 drinks...or more! embarassedlaugh.gif winksmile.gif ok here is the video...

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 pm 
rotf.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif That was frickin' AWESOME Tazz!!!!! rocker.gif rocker.gif

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 pm 
[size=10:07bcf9eba9]Jeremy gets in touch with his inner Elizabeth Berkley[/size:07bcf9eba9]
Jeremy gets in touch with his inner Elizabeth Berkley
If I remember correctly the exact quote from dicey was "Dude, you totally licked my pole!"

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 9:55 pm 
well then she should have posted it! Now the whole thread is ruined...ruined I say!! Oh and it was probe not pole.... lol.gif tongue.gif bart.gif

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 pm 
Location: Mazama Ridge off of the southern end of Mt Rainier Elevation: ~5600 ft Duration: -30 hours Vertical: ???? Weather: Daytime 25-35F partly cloudy to mostly sunny, Nighttime 20-30F windy and snowy Players: Mtn Man, Tazz, Yukon, Schmiht-itude, Schmidt-dude, BJ, M. Mark, Magnum, WAMtngirl, Todd, razz2sea, ActionBetty Sunday only players: Don B, Randy Mode of Transport: 4 skiers, 1 splitboard, 8 snowshoers We started at the Narada Falls parking lot around 930am. Here is the topo map of the general area: We started skinning and the clouds started to break a bit. Here's Tazz on one of the steeper sections of the skin track:
I was carrying around a 50 lb pack, something I haven't done in around 10 years. As predicted, I took a little tumble on the way up. I'm sure Tazz can provide a pic of that one lol.gif I've never been winter camping before so I packed everything including the kitchen sink. Luckily, we only had about 1200 vertical and around 2-2.5 miles to the camping area. We get to the ridge and the sun is blazing strong:
Tazz takes in the Tattoish Range:
We notice a large crown on the opposing slopes, but know that the stability is rather good at this time. It must be an older fracture:
As we get further up the ridge, we notice little cornices along the way:
[img]http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/38158/2410697800038969843S600x600Q85.jpg [/img] We finally get to camp after a couple hours and this is our view from the tent, Rainer with a bonnet:
On the opposing slopes through our other window, we get the Tattoish Range:
Tazz is home!
Magnum and Mark M start to build their home, a snowcave built for two:
The skiers decide to hit the closest bowl for a bit of backcountry bliss, we attached the skins and head out:
This is OUR bowl, untouched:
Magnum laying the tracks down:
Dicey shows the tele skillz:
After around 800 vertical, we decide to skin back up for the day:
I find a wandering boarder back on the ridge, looking for somethin' to jib:
Mt Rainier didn't want to take off the bonnet just yet, maybe tomorrow:
The Unicorn (peak) was showing her horns at twilight:
The sun starts to set on the range:
As the sun set, Dicey and I scouted the local ski run near camp. It was around 1000ft long and maybe 150-200 vert, perfect for doing short laps. We do a few runs before dark:
As darkness falls, the temps drop a bit and dinner was heated up around the snow cave area. This soon turned out to be the pole (probe) dancing area after many beverages were shared.
The Schmidts set up the sound system (ipod and portable speakers), margaritas, whiskey, tekillya, wine, vodka, beer, and anything else you can think of were in rotation....
Dicey and I decide that a late night ski run and jibbin' session is in order. Nothing like skiing at night with a headlamp!
YEAH!!!
We all wake up fairly late, weary from the previous night's activities. We notice that there was about 1-2" of fresh from last night and Dicey informs us that the local run is totally refreshed from the previous day. Tazz and I have the freeze dried eggs, bacon, and coffee before I head out for a warm up run on the local hill. Here's a pic from the bottom:
I came back and decided to take a few shots of the snowcave before they collapse it:
Magnum and Mark M commented that it was quite warm in there, they didn't even know that it was windy and snowing out the previous night. So the four skiers decide to head further north on the ridge to another bowl to explore:
Rainier is still shrouded in clouds (the forecast was for mostly cloudy and snow on Sunday)
But the Tattoish range starts to show it's beautiful locks with Mark skinning on the foreground:
We get to the bowl and Rainier starts to tip her hat to us. The bowl had creamy windblown goodness:
Mark M pops over the ridge just as the clouds are starting to break:
To our surprise, Randy and Don B show up on the same ridge, looking for us. They started at the Paradise lot and were searching around the various bowls of Mazama. Here is Randy coming down:
Don B makes his way down. Notice the huge hanging cornice in the background. Hikers were traversing right on top of them about 2 runs into our lapping:
Dicey:
Magnum:
The clouds break even more during the second run and we can now see our tracks. Notice the tracks from the previous day's visitors on the right:
We all gather at the base and the sun is blazing now. Time to strip off the polypro and slap on the skins:
At the third run, Rainier shows us why we're here:
My two tracks are coming straight from the trees up top. Great snow in there and a great pitch:
Dicey gets ready to skin one last time:
The range is absolutely stunning on the skin back to camp:
Again, I find this random boarder chicka wandering the ridge:
I did a quick probe reading around camp and I never touched bottom. Therefore the snowpack was at least 7-8ft where we were. That's a LOT of snow!!! We pack up camp and start to ski down to the car. Tazz and I break off from the group and actually find some sweet pow turns in the woods. Unfortunately I didn't get the camera out until near the end:
We all met back at the car, loaded the gear up, had a Jooze, and headed to Copper Creek Inn for a round of beers, burgers, and good byes. A great way to cap off Tazz's bday get together! It couldn't have gone any better! As usual, the rest of the pics are in webshots: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562610032rvZStC Enjoy! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 10:17 pm 
Tazz wrote:
well then she should have posted it! Now the whole thread is ruined...ruined I say!!
Don't worry Tazz - I think the only thing ruined here is the Alti-dude's reputation. Oh, er........never mind.
:huh:
huh.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 pm 
Hey looks like you guys had some great weather and a really good time. I'll be there next year without a doubt! smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 pm 
Hahahahahahaha! Great video! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...