Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ebey's Landing 4/2/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm 
With the record snowfall in the cascades and much of the lower elevation trails snow covered, we decided we wanted to do more of a "spring" hike. Neither of us had been to Ebey's Landing before, and we both wanted to try it out. We didn't know how much time we'd have for hiking, as both of us had to be somewhere in the evening, and we also needed the trail to be short and low impact. We were both carrying children in our own ways. wink.gif We started hiking about 1:15pm. Not many people were out actually on the bluff today, although we saw a bunch of beach goers. The parking lot was full. It was a beautiful day for a hike.
We hadn't gone far before we heard a beautiful little trill from a bird. Jennifer spotted it first, A red winged blackbird.
Red winged blackbird. He sang us a song!
Red winged blackbird. He sang us a song!
The first part of the trail was the hardest for us, getting up onto that bluff. Ugh, we had to stop and catch our breath a few times!
The view from up there was wonderful, shimmering water stretched on in both directions.
It wasn't long before the trail came to resemble a rock-face-less catwalk. It would not have been much fun to fall down that hill!
Parts of the trail weren't as bad and sometimes we were a little further over. We saw a few interesting sights along the way like a misplaced cactus, and a gnarly old tree.
I think the most entertaining part was taking pictures of people walking off "the cliff"
Walking off the cliff...
Walking off the cliff...
Goodbye world! I'm gonna do it... i'm gonna jump! Ha, just kidding.
Goodbye world! I'm gonna do it... i'm gonna jump! Ha, just kidding.
Jennifer was a tad nervous at this section, as the weight of the child in her pack was offsetting her balance some. I'd have been frightened too!
It was pretty dizzying to look back up from the beach once we safely made it down.
As we were sitting down for lunch, we heard a familiar sound, an eagle's call. We looked up to see a bald eagle circling high above us. The best shot I got was him sitting on a branch... and it's not that great of a shot.
Bald eagle
Bald eagle
We ate lunch and played around on the beach for a few minutes before returning to the car by beach.
About 100 yards or so from the parking area we both found small washed up wooden signs laying on the beach. They each said "School Project" with information on them as to who to notify if found. Pretty interesting. I guess they must have dropped these off somewhere in the sound and just wanted to experiment and see where they'd wash up. All in all, we took about 3 hours to do the hike. We were pretty slow, but what do you expect out of a pregnant woman, and a woman carrying a two year old? We got back home later than we wanted, but it was alright. We both had enough fun hiking that it didn't matter too much. Some other pics:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 9:00 pm 
Nice Report GLHG! I was thinking of heading there on Saturday but will probably save it for a better weather day. Beautiful shots of the sound... great water colors and cliff shots. Nice to see you back on the trail. up.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 pm 
Great pictures, GLHG. Thanks for going with me. I'll try to get my two cents worth up in the next few days, along with some pics if they come back OK. I took my old 35mm camera along since Aaron had the digital, and took the film in today to be processed. I should get it back tomorrow. I hope you were able to make it to your appointment!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:23 pm 
what a beautiful and sunny outing! how far is the trail? the cactus looks like that prickly pear kind. thanks for sharing your awesome pictures!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 pm 
The trail is about a mile and a half long itself... and then there's a beach walk as well. I'm not sure which part is longer... the beach walk or the trail... probably the trail though. The loop itself is 3.5 miles total. It was something nice and easy for us to do without sacrificing views or payoff. And no, Jennifer, I actually didn't make it to my appointment, but I rescheduled for today... so that was ok. It was actually kinda funny... the two assistants weren't communicating at all... and so I was called twice to see why I missed my appointment. lol. Funny.

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 am 
Nice. Ebey's Landing is one of my happy places.

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 1:55 pm 
Love the Pics. Looks like a great kiddo hike.

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSun Apr 06, 2008 9:11 pm 
Yeah, but keep any young ones on your back. Those cliffs just drop off... if a young one were to run ahead and slip... it could be tragic. A good hike for older kids that know better though. up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 am 
Gorgeous photos, GLHG. Where is Ebey's Landing anyway? Those blue skies look beautiful.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel