Forum Index > Trip Reports > Union & Jove, 3/16/08 (ridges of ribs!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
what I love about hikes such as this, is the lack of views. because lack of views forces me to see what I would normally not train my focus on.
How very true. I realized that this week. Fri and Sat we got sogged in bad but looking at the cornices and "windscape" as well as an untouched meadow or hillside was very cool. Great pics guys!!! I really like the iced tree photos and the ones of you climbing some of those huge snow barriers.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 18, 2008 8:44 am 
Mark, it was quite the workout and route. I ate everything I had, all my GU, Trail Mix bars, and yes, the gummy bears. I needed fuel. Matt counted the snow ribs between peaks and I am sure he will elaborate on that, other highlights, and post some great pics. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm 
Finally, here are my trip report and photos. At 8:40am. we started at the Smithbrook parking area on US2, 3100 feet. We hiked the Smithbrook Road 2.5 miles to its big westernmost switchback at 4000 feet. Previous travelers had left a packed track on the road. Tracks showed one group of skiers had gone in yesterday, but we never saw them. Must have been Dicey’s group. At the switchback, we headed northwest uphill until we reached the big 4500-foot meadow. From here on, we were kicking our own steps, with about a foot of fresh powder over an old hard crust. At the meadow, we turned slightly east of north and followed the minor ridge that comes down the slope to the east end of the meadow. There were some steep spots on the rib, but I think overall it was less steep than the alternative, which is to go up the face of the slope.
Buried Smithbrook
Buried Smithbrook
4500 Meadow, rib we followed is at right
4500 Meadow, rib we followed is at right
The trees carried multiple forms of snow and ice: fresh snow atop the branches, icicles hanging below, and spiky frost growing from both.
Snow, frost, & icicles
Snow, frost, & icicles
Spiky frosty icicles 1
Spiky frosty icicles 1
Spiky frosty icicles 2
Spiky frosty icicles 2
Spiky frosty icicles 3
Spiky frosty icicles 3
Snowy frosty branch
Snowy frosty branch
Circa 5200 feet we hit the crest of Union’s east ridge, where we again found some ski tracks, which gave us a respite from packing down our own steps in the powder. At 12:15pm, we arrived at Union’s summit 5696. The view…wasn’t.
Arriving at Union summit
Arriving at Union summit
Union summit view of Jove (not)
Union summit view of Jove (not)
Looking ahead, we could not see Jove. We could see clouds, soft snow, lots of ribs and cornices on the ridge, and the probability of a difficult slog down and up the ridge, twice, to get to Jove and back. But I’d already posted “Union & Jove” as the title of the report, so we pushed onward. The ridge between Union & Jove drops 500 feet to a 5200-foot col, then climbs 800 feet to Jove. It’s exactly on the Cascade crest, so it catches all the wind and snow of storms crossing the crest.
Crest boundary
Crest boundary
Looking down Union & up Jove
Looking down Union & up Jove
All the way down and up, the crest of the ridge was cut into ribs of snow by the wind. Wherever a tree on the western windward side blocked the wind, the snow built up to a rib stretching toward the bare lee side, with the spaces in between carved into channels by the wind. Some were small ribs only a 1-2 feet high, some were big ribs 6-12 feet high, most were in the 2-6 foot range. Every rib required cutting a zigzag course back and forth to climb up and down their sides at a reasonable angle. Going down Union’s north ridge, we tried to kick in a course that would let us hike back up. Occasionally we slid down the faces of some steeper ribs, wondering how we’d get back up later.
Part of ridge down from Union
Part of ridge down from Union
Wildernessed sliding off a bigger rib
Wildernessed sliding off a bigger rib
Snuffleupagus Tree
Snuffleupagus Tree
Then it was up Jove’s south ridge. On the lower part, we could sometimes cut into the trees on the left. Higher up, we could also sometimes cut a path across the slopes below the cornices on the right. But mostly we still had to stay on top of the ribs, because the side slopes were too steep.
Ribs up Jove
Ribs up Jove
Wildernessed & Steve in trees
Wildernessed & Steve in trees
Wildernessed & Steve ascending Jove
Wildernessed & Steve ascending Jove
Cutting between cornices & trees
Cutting between cornices & trees
Steve atop cornices on Jove
Steve atop cornices on Jove
High up on Jove, the trees were so plastered with snow that their windward sides looked almost like walls of snow. There was so much snow that some trees actually had slide paths running down their sides. Lower down, we had marveled at the giant, widow-maker snow blobs some trees were supporting at their tops, sometimes huge lumps six feet or more across. Now we marvelled at how much snow was plastered across the whole height & breadth of the trees.
Snow plastered
Snow plastered
Big snow boughs
Big snow boughs
Loads of snow
Loads of snow
On the windward side of the trees
On the windward side of the trees
At 2:50pm, we reached Jove’s summit, 6007 feet. Again it was mostly cloudy, but occasionally the clouds thinned enough to let us see Union, with its summit also in a cloud.
Jove summit group
Jove summit group
Jove summit tea & typical view of Union
Jove summit tea & typical view of Union
Then it was back down the ridge. The thinner clouds gave a better view of the trees. The snow-plastered trees were a highlight of the trip for me. Some bent down, some stood up, some spread out, but all were bearing up huge weights of snow. They were a testament to endurance and fortitude.
Plastered
Plastered
Snowed down
Snowed down
Mother of Snowy Trees
Mother of Snowy Trees
Slide paths on trees
Slide paths on trees
Snow Tree Wall
Snow Tree Wall
A few cloud breaks also gave glimpses of the surrounding area.
Lake Valhalla
Lake Valhalla
Union & east ridge
Union & east ridge
Union from Jove
Union from Jove
Predator Tree
Predator Tree
When we reached the col and started back up Jove, I decided to count the ribs on the Union side. 132 distinct ribs! Each and every rib required somehow going over, around, or through another crest of snow. It was hard work, but also fascinating to work our way through the midst of all the curves and lines cut by the wind. As the trees channeled the wind across the crest, each rib piled up and met the next in a unique junction of rise and fall, deposition and erosion. The ribs were the other highlight of the trip for me.
Ribs
Ribs
More Ribs
More Ribs
Layered Cornices
Layered Cornices
Ribs atop Cornices
Ribs atop Cornices
Looking down cornices
Looking down cornices
Looking up ribs
Looking up ribs
Climbing ribs, Steve
Climbing ribs, Steve
Climbing ribs, Wildernessed
Climbing ribs, Wildernessed
Ribs & fog
Ribs & fog
At 4:20, we made it back to the summit of Union, where the view was the same as before.
Re-Union
Re-Union
To descend Union, we took a different route. We followed the east ridge farther east, and then dropped straight down the slope, so that we could meet the road further on. It was a good plan, but we left the ridge too soon, before the 4950 col, which put our descent onto the steepest part of the slope midway down. It would have been better to continue over the 5100-foot bump and all the way the 4600 gap where the road crosses the ridge, then drop down wider contours to the road below. Anyway, the steep part gave me an opportunity to practice self-arrest on variable snow. The snow varied between crusty layers, some surface powder, and occasional icy sections. When my snowshoes slipped, I discovered that the crusty snow was too weak for my ice axe’s pick to grip. Eventually, I was able to dig in the shaft of the axe and stop. Like the lessons say, keep trying until you find a way to stop. Then I had to climb back up 100 feet to recover the pole I abandoned along the way. And then we searched downward to find Wildernessed’s camera that had rolled 300 feet down the slope.
Runout at bottom of fall slope
Runout at bottom of fall slope
Then it was back down Smithbrook road to the cars at 6:40pm, glad to have longer daylight. A thorough workout, but rewarding. I always like trips best where I discover something interesting to see or travel through. like the snow ribs and snow-plastered trees today. It's one advantage of winter - the snow itself often offers new creations to discover, even when views are limited. The creative synergy of snow, wind, terrain, and trees provides a fascinating diversity of configurations, forming and reforming at each place and time throughout the season. Round trip about 10 miles (maybe more with the zigzags), 4000 cumulative gain, 10 hours.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 6:36 am 
Epic. Four hours to round trip between the two summits. I have seen the phenomena of snow ribs, but the size, coupled with the sheer number, boggle the mind. I wonder if you will be pre-writing trip reports in the future? wink.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 7:24 am 
Magellan wrote:
Epic. Four hours to round trip between the two summits. I have seen the phenomena of snow ribs, but the size, coupled with the sheer number, boggle the mind. I wonder if you will be pre-writing trip reports in the future? ;)
Several years ago on our trip from the top of Union to the Jove saddle we experienced the same thing. Very interesting on skis! Wonder why the wind is so predictable and pronounced right there. I bet other years folks have experienced the same??? Anyone else have an experience to share? J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 9:32 am 
Matt wrote:
Finally, here are my trip report and photos. ...
Superb trip report; I could feel your effort and pain. Even though you cursed the ribs they do look mighty tasty...finger lickin' good!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 am 
The trip became more than one might have imagined stuck.gif . How fortunate we are to have these experiences, they are so absorbing. Great pics and summary Matt. I wish I could have gotten some shots going down Unions East ridge to Smithbrook, but at least I have my camera back eek.gif up.gif . Felt like a kid playing in the snow. hockeygrin.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 4:58 pm 
Is the camera still functioning properly?

b00

b00
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Several years ago on our trip from the top of Union to the Jove saddle we experienced the same thing. Very interesting on skis! Wonder why the wind is so predictable and pronounced right there. I bet other years folks have experienced the same??? Anyone else have an experience to share? J
what a great trip report with outstanding pics!!! i've been up there 4 or 5 times and for me the snow ribs were unique to this year's trip. the snow made one rock step much easier than it was in the past, but it also made it more work. fortunately our group had a step kicking machine(jt) who kicked most of our steps, usually straight up the vertical embankments. on a slightly different track, i do worry about people heading up the smithbrook under these conditions. i've seen numerous sluffs on the slope above the road. this road is part of an obvious avalanche path. please look carefully at our gps route below that shows a safer way to reach jove. i hope i do not hurt anyone's feelings.
gps track courtesy of jb
gps track courtesy of jb

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 12:12 am 
b00, no offense taken. Caution about avalanche potential is always good. Your route probably would be safer under more unstable conditions. On the day we went up, conditions were actually quite stable. Slides had happened earlier in the current cycle, but everything below the surface powder was frozen pretty solid when we were there. The road does cross a couple avalanche paths. Our descent route, which I wouldn't recommend anyway, went down the worst one. I wouldn't have tried it if we hadn't found stable conditions up and down everything all day long.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 am 

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 12:32 pm 
Man those plastered trees are fantastic looking! Well done on huffing through all the snow. Spring is a long ways off I fear, I heard today on the radio it may even snow in Seattle this week. Eeek. I love winter but am looking forward to the great melt out.