Forum Index > Trail Talk > TNAB 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
Hello: The 2008 edition of the Thursday Night AfterBurners hiking group begins 3/20 with a quick trip to Cedar Butte. We will be hiking every Thursday now through September. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM and I'll put you on the email distribution list. Cheers! -Mark

Wiki summmary last edited by Yet on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:23 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostThu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm 
My first nwhikers event - a great time! What a fun, easy-going group of dedicated hikers. Fuller was a pleasant surprise - short and sweet but thankfully a little rough and rugged. And the snow cover made everything beautiful, if a little slick underfoot at times. Also good to put faces - as well as real names - to some of these avatars. wink.gif Thanks Mark and Yet and all! See ya next Thursday night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Mar 27, 2008 11:47 pm 
Sounds like a good trip. Now I feel sad... frown.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Mar 27, 2008 11:51 pm 
Dude, I was totally bummed you weren't there. Next week. Next week. And bring Matt Martin along...he still hikes once in a while, doesn't he? smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 7:00 am 
I'm not sure about next week. I'm trying to be selective about my trips since I've got some big ones planned for this summer. Fuller, nice as it is, just didn't warrant a return trip on a night like this one. Matt does still hike, but the likelihood of getting him out for TNAB is low.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 am 
moosefish wrote:
Fuller, nice as it is, just didn't warrant a return trip on a night like this one.
Speaking of nights, talk about great weather! We had an awesome view of the Sno valley tinged pinkish-purple with the setting sun. Had a lot of fun - good times! Even made me forget I had a sore throat for awhile... biggrin.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 9:58 am 
The purple sunset reflecting off the reclusive Mt Si lowland glaciers, The Ghost and all the Teneriffe Peaks was well worth all the hazing for this first time TNAB'r.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 10:31 am 
A few pics:
Summit circle
Summit circle
Evening glow
Evening glow
Spring evening on Fuller
Spring evening on Fuller
Dayhike Mike arrives
Dayhike Mike arrives
First view of the valley and Teneriffe Peaks
First view of the valley and Teneriffe Peaks
Clearcuts at their best
Clearcuts at their best
Heading out
Heading out
Three things I learned last night: - Jump right in first-timers, the water here at nwhikers is fine - Even a mere 900 ft. of elevation gain put my legs in revolt if they first run 3 miles a couple hours earlier - Onion rings should be consumed more than 2 hours prior to bedtime if easy sleep is desired biggrin.gif

gone

gone
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 12:34 pm 
[Oops, just saw that Yet opened a TR thread for this; I'll move this post over there when it's up.] As another first time TNAB hiker, I second rdyhiker's comments: Great group of folks, very friendly, lots of laughs! Thanks so much for letting me tag along! I didn't mention it to anyone last night, but this was my first experience hiking a trail in the dark-dark. I've wandered a ways into the dark on overnights to water the plants, and I've done many dusk-dark bottoms on Tiger, Si, and Rattlesnake, but those trails are wide and well established and the highway sounds make getting turned around nearly impossible. But here it was very dark and very quiet, and at times the trail was nearly indistinguishable from the forest floor in the dim light of my headlamp. It was an anxiety provoking experience, particularly as I found myself making a couple of bad turns (which I thankfully recognized and corrected quickly), and had I been there alone I might well have freaked out. But I knew that Mark and Yet were somewhere behind me and I was confident that there were at least a couple of TNAB'ers out on the road ahead of me, and this gave me to confidence to keep moving. Popping out onto the road at the end to cheers and hoots was a real spirit lifter! I've been wanting to get up Fuller for awhile now, having ridden near it so many times on my bike, but I wasn't sure I could figure it out myself from just trail reports and hike descriptions. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to do it with an experienced group. I'm learning that I belong squarely in that group of folks who follow in the snow- and trail-breaking footsteps of others, and I'm very thankful to have opportunities like this one to follow such confident and capable hikers. And, lest anyone think the "AB" in TNAB is just a joke, it's not - this group books! I tried mightily to keep up for the first mile or so, finally giving up and settling into a less heart-pounding, knee-bending pace. I thought perhaps I had a kindred wheezer in Dayhike Mike, who I caught a couple of times, but it turns out he was just getting warmed up - once he got his groove on, he was gone just like everyone else. wink.gif The trail itself was beautiful, in a tree farm-ish kind of way. Lots of different forest ages, moss, ferns, and some creeks (one, Ten Creek, with a really cool, though very slippery, log crossing - in the dark!). Based on trail reports I knew there was rock to traverse on the west side, but didn't expect so much. It was a jumbled maze in places and quite slippery in others. I struggled a bit through this in an effort to avoid twisting one of my too-fragile ankles, particularly in the near-dark on the return. Harvey Manning's 1984 edition of Foot Sore 2 describes the trail this way:
Quote:
"Don't expect a boulevard. The Green River College students who built the trail in 1975 as a classroom exercise engineered the route beautifully for purposes of defense against intruding wheels left the tread with many small obstacles of roots and rocks."
And in the subsequent 30 years, nature has taken over where the students left off, adding many more roots and rocks. The trail is thin throughout and in places has a pretty aggressive slope (for my knees anyway). With a thin covering of snow, things got very exciting at times for me! I only grabbed a few pics with my point-and-shoot.
"Engage afterburners!"
"Engage afterburners!"
The weather cleared as we left, providing sunshine up the entire west side.
The weather cleared as we left, providing sunshine up the entire west side.
Typical lower trail, rocks, moss, ferns, and more rocks.
Typical lower trail, rocks, moss, ferns, and more rocks.
Amazing wide views from the south east side of Fuller.
Amazing wide views from the south east side of Fuller.
Now I'm off to REI to get a second, much brighter light. smile.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 1:06 pm 
ewb wrote:
But I knew that Mark and Yet were somewhere behind me and I was confident that there were at least a couple of TNAB'ers out on the road ahead of me, and this gave me to confidence to keep moving. Popping out onto the road at the end to cheers and hoots was a real spirit lifter!
It's kind of implied here, but I've seen it in action: TNAB doesn't leave until everybody is accounted for. Rampart Ridge from 2006 and Mailbox Peak from 2007 attest to this fact. Mark deserves kudos for building a group that cares enough to stick around into the wee hours to make sure everybody gets out ok.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 2:05 pm 
This was my first TNAB, and I enjoyed it. I've always found that people tend to stay together in clusters of two and three, even if the group does spread out during the trip. Same thing happened on our memorial trip up Big Snow Mountain for Ed -- people tend to break out or hang back based on their ability, but people generally would stick together, never really leaving anyone alone. I think that's just good practice. Besides, it's nice to have company while hiking, whether it be for the sake of safety or conversation. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 2:46 pm 
Im working nights right now. Where are you guys going tomorrow night?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 2:48 pm 
Their plan is Lil' Si. Nice to see you again on the board, BPJ. smile.gif Were you on a trip?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Their plan is Lil' Si. Nice to see you again on the board, BPJ. smile.gif Were you on a trip?
Thank you. Yes, I was in Arizona visiting my mom. Ill get a trip report of the hikes I did up soon.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 1:48 pm 
Is there going to be a TNAB today?

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish