Forum Index > Trail Talk > TNAB 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
Hello: The 2008 edition of the Thursday Night AfterBurners hiking group begins 3/20 with a quick trip to Cedar Butte. We will be hiking every Thursday now through September. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM and I'll put you on the email distribution list. Cheers! -Mark

Wiki summmary last edited by Yet on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:23 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
Thanks. I guess my email didn't get onto the list. I'll PM Mesahchie Mark again about it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:12 pm 
Have fun at Tiger everyone! Wish we could make it, but we'll see you all next week. cool.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 6:01 pm 
Does anyone think we will need snowshoes to do Mt. Si via the old trail tomorrow?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm 
There is fresh snow on the top 1/4 of the mountain today. Need snowshoes? Probably not but might keep you from postholing on the final stretch to Haystack. Haven't been up there recently. Traction devices of some sort would probably be a good idea. I'm probably going to bring my snowshoes and end up regretting it. But I know if I don't bring them, then I'll regret it. lol.gif Kind of like choosing that line at the grocery store - left or right, hoping one is faster than the other.

Yet

Yet
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 6:47 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
I'm probably going to bring my snowshoes and end up regretting it. But I know if I don't bring them, then I'll regret it. lol.gif
Maybe you can bring both pairs so your arms will get equal exercise. wink.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 pm 
That's a great idea Yet! huh.gif Better still, I should hand carry those giant snowshoes in my left arm this time, rather than the right. Since it stretched it out so far on that TNAB Winter Solstice, (when the person I carried them halfway up the mountain for, didn't even use them!! shakehead.gif shakehead.gif), I really should try and lengthen out the other arm this time. lol.gif Fortunately, my daypack is entirely capable of transporting 1 set of shoes so I'll do that. Unless you know of someone who might be attending and MAY need a 2nd set? hmmm.gif

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm 
Haven't been on Si since the new snow last weekend, but did a scramble up Teneriffe today via the trail that is not a trail, so similar to old Si. Snow was slushy, mushy and very navigable without snowshoes until the last very steep slope. Then there was 2 feet of fresh powder. Half of our group put their shoes on there. I broke trail 3/4 of the way up without them... but it was interesting - my boot went all 2 feet down then the snow slid out from under, so I ended up having to bulldoze with my knees and feet. I created a trench, not steps. The guy who took over the last 1/4 of the way had his snowshoes on and did much better - he only sank in 1 1/2 feet with the snow still sliding out underneath him. biggrin.gif That's a long winded way of saying... I wouldn't bring snowshoes for Si tomorrow. smile.gif

Aussie

Aussie
PostWed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
A group of us went up Si tonight - no snowshoes required. Generally the snow is slightly soft and slushy although there are some spots where there's compact, icy snow under the slushy stuff. Yaktrax might be useful depending on your confidence/experience on snow, but not a 'must-have'.

gone

gone
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 1:51 am 
Aussie wrote:
A group of us went up Si tonight ...
So you made the Wednesday hike? I was really debating doing it too, but settled on a bike ride instead so I can try the TNAB up the old Si trail tomorrow (well, tonight now). Sorry I missed out - perhaps next week!

Aussie

Aussie
PostThu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 am 
Yeah. We did the old trail about a month ago and its even longer since I've been up the regular trail. This group only goes out every 2 weeks. Not sure what's on the agenda for the next one. Have fun tonight. We got good weather last night and it looks like its going to be even better today !

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 6:00 pm 
What time do y'all usually wrap up? I am trying to see if I could fit some of these into my schedule..

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 6:12 pm 
6:00pm heading up the trail, summit/destination by 8:00pm, depending upon weather/views start heading back down in 15-30 minutes. Usually back at TH by 9:30 - 10:00pm. Obviously depends upon the actual hike but those are pretty accurate guidelines.

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm 
I assume snowshoes will be necessary on Bandera, right? {lanning on going all the way to the summit too?

northbynorthwest

northbynorthwest
PostSat May 10, 2008 9:07 am 
Joining TNAB
How do I get on the list for these hikes. The idea of hiking on Thursday nights holds a lot of appeal. Also, I'm assuming 'after-burners' are pretty fast. I can hike at a steady clip, but might not be fast as the others....can I still go along. Anyway, shoot me an email with info.

Yet

Yet
PostSat May 10, 2008 9:46 am 
For information on how to join the TNAB mailing list, please see the first post on this page. Thank you.