Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Ski to Trinity – March 14, 2008
Previous :: Next Topic  
Roald

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:27 pm    Ski to Trinity – March 14, 2008
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ski to Trinity – March 14, 2008

First, the stats:

# miles RT:  44 miles
# hours skiing:  6 or 6.5 hours (I think – Mike had the watch)
# coolest mid-trip breaks ever:  1
# walls hit:  1 (by me, about 7 miles from the car)

No great pics on this one, as the trip follows the valley floor and it was a cloudy, snowy day.  But here is what the Chiwawa River valley looks like in winter:

Trinity itself is more interesting than in summer, although this is probably because it feels like work to get there:

This trip included the best mid-trip break in the world.  This is because Greg, the caretaker at Trinity, welcomed us in to swill coffee and warm up.  We swapped stories and learned a bit about the place.  Greg maintains a Trinity blog, which captures only a smidgen of the good vibes of the place.  These indoor pictures belong in this TR, I think, because the break at Trinity was an important part of the trip - and we were not really in civilization!

What a difference from the attitude of the previous caretaker, who I met the first time I skied to Trinity!

Eventually we had to slap the skis on and head back to Fish Lake.  The skiing conditions remained decent if a little soft.  But I hit the wall near Chikamin Creek, only reviving after eating some of Mike’s food.  Interesting how this trip was tougher than some long day trips I took this past summer.  Even though we were out fewer hours and had less elevation gain than a typical scramble day, I surmise that the sustained high-energy output of skiing drains the body faster than hiking.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm   

I saw you guys from the summit of Buck. hockeygrin.gif

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
E's Mom

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm   

Sounds like an excellent way to spend the day! I couldn't tell from the photos if you were skate-skiing or classic skiing? 6 hours is a long time to skate, but you did mention "hitting the wall".... wink.gif

--------------
"I will lift my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:11 pm   

Wow!   eek.gif   Super effort you two!
Layback
Proud Papa x2

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 pm   

That's quite a trip Roald.  Looks like you had a good time.
don b

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:18 pm   

Yup, I shoulda been there.  Great trip.
Get Out and Go

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:04 am   

44 miles in 6 hours!!  Out of my league  shakehead.gif   Nice work, guys.  up.gif
peltoms

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm   

Mike looks like he is at a real finish line there at Trinity.  Looks like fantastic conditions, skating your hearts out. biggrin.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Roald

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:15 pm   

wildernessed wrote:

Wildernessed, you are everywhereparanoid.gif

Yes, E's Mom, we were skating - with the season ending I'll be hanging up the skis any day now, and am missing it already.   frown.gif    This might require radical depression treatment until next winter, i.e., getting into the hills all summer long.  wink.gif
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm   

Roald wrote:
wildernessed wrote:

Wildernessed, you are everywhereparanoid.gif

Yes, E's Mom, we were skating - with the season ending I'll be hanging up the skis any day now, and am missing it already.   frown.gif    This might require radical depression treatment until next winter, i.e., getting into the hills all summer long.  wink.gif

Yeah, but time to get out and do some hiking hockeygrin.gif, I look forward to some trips. up.gif

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
faelynn

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:53 pm   

I like this TR thank you!
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:52 pm   

44 miles.. 6.5 hours... YOU beasts!!!!   My arms would have given out at 15 miles..and that would have been 3 hours  embarassedlaugh.gif

I really need to get mr Big on the job if I want to ASS ski with any of you freaks  biggrin.gif

--------------
"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Ski to Trinity – March 14, 2008  
  Happy Birthday Lead Dog, dzane, The Lead Dog, Seattle Steve!

Jump to: