Opus wrote:
Summit
Summit
Nice shot of the summit approach! mbg

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 8:25 am 
Nice! Looks like spring in the Teanaways...so different than when we were there in mid-January. Great photos all! up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 8:35 am 
Opus wrote:
Great trip! I was really dragging on this one though. Must have been all that Easter bunny chasing.
GPS tracks
GPS tracks
...which explains all of the zigs and zags in our return route, to those who were wondering. The Easter Bunny is well-known for it's cunning and elusiveness, and cannot be found by walking in a straight line!

pithy yet insightful signature
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 am 
Middle E wrote:
Opus wrote:
Great trip! I was really dragging on this one though. Must have been all that Easter bunny chasing.
GPS tracks
GPS tracks
...which explains all of the zigs and zags in our return route, to those who were wondering. The Easter Bunny is well-known for it's cunning and elusiveness, and cannot be found by walking in a straight line!
Hmmm hmmm.gif Weren't YOU leading this merry band of hikers? lol.gif dizzy.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
wamtngal wrote:
Nice! Looks like spring in the Teanaways...so different than when we were there in mid-January. Great photos all! up.gif
Well, sorta - no flowers in bloom yet!!! embarassedlaugh.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
don b

don b
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 am 
A group of us were skiing on Earl yesterday and I can assure you it wasn't spring!

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
seawallrunner wrote:
wonderful photos you guys! what a crowd, and what a great place to be! about the sun halo - there was one in vancouver too - and I've seen them every year at this time of year. Are halos at all related to the equinox or is this late March sighting just a coincidence (spring clouds, uncertain weather, northwest being the northwest) and these occur at other times of the year? Seem more pronounced in March for some reason.
SWR - here is what I found about a Sun (or moon) halo: This fairly common sight occurs when high thin clouds containing millions of tiny ice crystals cover much of the sky. Each ice crystal acts like a miniature lens. Because most of the crystals have a similar elongated hexagonal shape, light entering one crystal face and exiting through the opposing face refracts 22 degrees, which corresponds to the radius of the Sun Halo. A similar Moon Halo may be visible during the night. There doesn't seem to be a direct correlation to the equinox - but the reports I saw either were at or around the Vernal or Winter equinox. Others might have more scientific explanations. s.d.
I call it a sundog. It means the weather is going to crap out on you in 24 hours. I saw the same sundog on saturday. Sunday was a crapfest blizzard. huh.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 am 
dicey wrote:
I call it a sundog. It means the weather is going to crap out on you in 24 hours. I saw the same sundog on saturday. Sunday was a crapfest blizzard. huh.gif
Yup - they called it a "sun dog" too (but NOT a moon dog!). Gusto appreciates the recognition rolleyes.gif . You must have been on Earl with the other crazies Sunday! And they call that fun. shakehead.gif suuure.gif winksmile.gif

JimK

JimK
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 1:41 pm 
It's time for my take on the trip: In just over 20 years of hiking throughout the Teanaway River Valleys I have made it to the top of just about every named peak and most unnamed ones. One that I had never visited was Teanaway Butte. In the summer it's a road walk and a short one at that. In the winter it's a good ski trip via the Middle Fork Teanaway Road. Until the last half dozen years or so the North Fork Road was only plowed as as far as Lick Creek. That left a long snowmobile used road to the top. Now that the NF Road is plowed to 29 Pines it is a very reasonable snowshoe or ski trip. Matt did an interesting trip last year up Teanaway Butte and along the ridge to Tarzan Butte before dropping back down to 29 Pines. I was interested in giving it a try. The last two weeks we had been following trips Matt had trip reported to lookouts or lookout sites. First was Red Top then Evergreen and now Teanaway Butte. After this trip we'll have to go back to planning our own trips. It was just going to be Suzanne, Barry, and I on this trip. The night before, Joe expressed interest then David and lastly Bob and Kolleen felt Silver Peak had too much avalanche danger and they asked about our trip. Three morphed into seven of us. We all met at the end of plowing on the NF Teanaway Road at 29 Pines campgrounds at 8:45 AM. It was a brisk 25 degrees as we got ready to begin. The blue sky promised great views and warmer weather coming. We immediately went left on the Jungle Creek Road and crossed the Teanaway River. Almost immediately we came to another junction. Left on the Rye Creek Road were many snowmobile tracks. Right on the Jungle Creek Road there were none. This road is a skier and snowshoer only road. The road was not icy but the snow was firm. We kept our snowshoes on our backs. In fact, all the way around our loop we did not use our snowshoes.
NF Teanaway River
NF Teanaway River
Jungle Creek Road
Jungle Creek Road
We had Matt's GPS route and both David and Joe had entered routes in their GPSs. Along with maps we were set for the off road sections. The group set a very fast pace and it was hard to take many photos. Thirty seconds to snap a shot and everyone else was out of sight. We stopped for a a break after 70 minutes and had traveled 3 miles. Not bad on snow. The start was at about 2600'. The summit of Teanaway Butte is 4769'. It's about 5 1/2 miles up and most of the elevation gain is in the last mile. We followed the nearly flat road which finally began to ascend gently. I looked but did not see either of the trailheads we passed. The road took a sharp left turn towards Liar's Prairie and soon after we made our exit. We headed off the right side of the road through forest. A gentle grade soon gave way to steeper slopes as we began to ascend in earnest. The snow was firm and even a little too hard in places.
Off Road
Off Road
Starting Up
Starting Up
Steeper
Steeper
More Up
More Up
Barry was kicking steps and they were better the farther back one was. We angled right to a ridge and followed it up. We left the road near 3500' and reached the false summit at about 4500'. The wind was blowing here and the forecast for 15 mph winds left us thinking about a short summit stay. From the false summit the route drops a little then makes a short steep climb to the true summit. There was a glissade trench with some fresh snow on the ridge up. It was frozen solid and we tended to stay off to the right to get some better traction. Barry and I went out ahead near the top.
First View Of Stuart
First View Of Stuart
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Rainier
We reached the top before noon. It took us about 3 hours to cover over 5 1/2 miles. Not bad at all for all snow travel. The views were much better than I was expecting. At less than 4800' there were many taller peaks around us. Still, we could see Mt. Rainier to the west and Many dozens of other peaks all around. Mt. Stuart was completely cloudless. Yellow Hill was across the Middle Fork Teanaway Valley. That ridge led on to Jolly Mountain. I could see Koppen, Hawkins, Fortune, Ingalls, Iron, Teanaway, Earl, Navaho, Three Brothers, and Miller Peaks clearly. Nearly all peaks that I have stoop atop at one time over the years.
Summit Ridge
Summit Ridge
Barry
Barry
Koppen, Fortune, Ingalls
4 labels
Koppen, Fortune, Ingalls
Stuart & Iron
3 labels
Stuart & Iron
Earl, Three Brothers, Navaho
3 labels
Earl, Three Brothers, Navaho
Group On Summit
Group On Summit
Jolly Mountain
1 label
Jolly Mountain
Yellow Hill
1 label
Yellow Hill
David
David
Heading Down
Heading Down
Hawkins Mountain
Hawkins Mountain
Surprisingly, the wind was very gentle on the summit. We took time to enjoy the views and have part of our lunches. All too soon it was time to head on. The easy route would be just to follow our tracks back. This group is seldom up for easy when there is a bit of adventure to be had. We retraced our steps to the false summit and took a look at Tarzan Butte. Our route out would be nearly a straight line over the butte and back to the Jungle Creek Road very near the start.
Old Snag
Old Snag
On A Road
On A Road
Tarzan Butte
Tarzan Butte
Earl Peak
Earl Peak
Snowmobile Track
Snowmobile Track
We began by following a road to our right. This made for a fast descent. The road turned more toward Tarzan Butte and we continued on it. When it no longer went where we desired we left it and headed into open forest. There were trees but some meadows as well. We stopped several times to try to figure out just where we wanted to ascend Tarzan Butte. There was a ridge on the left and one on the right. Our route was something less than a straight line as we wove our way closer. I thought Matt's route looked to be on the left but when we reached the 3500' level we were not at a low saddle. Instead the route dropped very steeply to our left. We chose to head right. We picked up some old snowshoe tracks here. After a little more descent we did reach a low point and the route headed up Tarzan. This in fact was very close to Matt's route. Things sometimes don't look the same standing in a forest with a map as they do at home looking at the same map. The snow was a little hard in places on the ascent. I would not have minded my aluminum crampons at times. It was never overly steep though and kicking steps worked just fine. I took more photos here and Barry, Suzanne, Bob, and Kolleen moved out ahead. David and Joe were just a little behind me. We had about 850' of gain to the 4385' summit of the butte. Part way up I looked behind and had a very nice view back to Teanaway Butte. I was down to short sleeves and was still sweating as I neared the summit. The top is forested and while we had a few peek a boo views they were not much. We finished off most of the rest of our food on top.
Heading Up Tarzan
Heading Up Tarzan
Teanaway Butte
Teanaway Butte
Tarzan Summit
Tarzan Summit
From here we had a steep descent then a pretty gentle grade back out. At first the route was very steep. If it was icy this would be crampons only. Instead the snow softened rapidly as we dropped. Forest gave way to open slopes and we had no trouble at all plunge stepping down the slope. A few of us even had a couple glissades. Slow but glissades none the less.
Tarzan Descent
Tarzan Descent
Glissade!
Glissade!
On Old Road
On Old Road
At the bottom we found the logging road just as hoped and had an easy route out. Still, by the time we reached the Jungle Creek Road I wa plenty tired. From there it was a short hike to the cars. We heard a few snowmobiles at the start but never did see any. The sleds were gone by the time we returned at 3:30. We did find Randy, Mike Collins, and Justus S waiting for Eric to return from their trip. They had a little more ambitious trip than us. For the day we covered just over 11 miles per the GPS units and gained some 3400'. It was a good work out and with a good pace it only took 6 1/2 hours. It looks like I'm done hitting new Teanaway Peaks though I am far from done hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing the area. It was a good group, great weather, firm snow, and better than expected views. All in all a great early spring day in the mountains. On our drive home we found that there was avalanche control work being done west of Snoqualmie Pass and we ended up sitting for over an hour and a quarter along Lake Keechelus. No early return this day but a minor inconvenience on an otherwise nearly perfect day.

don b

don b
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 4:43 pm 
Thanks for the report Jim. Now all that is left is for you to put all the peaks on a map so some of us don't have to (get to?) spend 20 years figuring it all out!

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 4:53 pm 
Jim - Good to see you on Saturday! Have you done the two high points along the ridge dividing Bear and Jack Creeks? If not, they are calling you. They are noted on the Backcourt list. Also, thanks for the picture of Navaho. I've been up there in summer, but have been obsessing over skiing it here in the next few weeks.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 6:20 pm 
JimK wrote:
[ In just over 20 years of hiking throughout the Teanaway River Valleys I have made it to the top of just about every named peak and most unnamed ones.
Jim, is this something you set out to do or did it just evolve over time? Congratulations on your accomplishment, Jim. up.gif May the memories of all the trips stay with you for a long, long time.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm 
Opus wrote:
Give me your sandwich.
Give me your sandwich.
lol.gif Looks like a hold-up. What a bad ass. lol.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
JimK

JimK
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 6:49 pm 
Randy, unexpected and nice to see you and Mike and Justus at the trailhead. I might be more likely to head over to BearJack if you folks were to post a trip report (hint, hint). Navaho is a great place to ski though I've only been there on foot. If you camp in Stafford Basin you can do a lot of skiing on Earl and Navaho. ggw, It was not a burning need to hit all the Teanaway peaks as Teanaway Butte has been the last one for about 4 years. I finally got around to it. Still my favorite place to be in the spring. I'll leave the area to the rest of you during the hot days of summer. Overall it was a fun day with a great group.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm 
Misunderstood
goats gone wild wrote:
Opus wrote:
Give me your sandwich.
Give me your sandwich.
lol.gif Looks like a hold-up. What a bad ass. lol.gif
Once again, the misunderstood and maligned Golden Retriever! frown.gif rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif Even Jim K said:
JimK wrote:
Overall it was a fun day with a great group.
And, I'm sure he was including Mr. G agree.gif winksmile.gif (How could you deny that "innocent" face?) hockeygrin.gif s.d.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 pm 
dicey wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
seawallrunner wrote:
wonderful photos you guys! what a crowd, and what a great place to be! about the sun halo - there was one in vancouver too - and I've seen them every year at this time of year. Are halos at all related to the equinox or is this late March sighting just a coincidence (spring clouds, uncertain weather, northwest being the northwest) and these occur at other times of the year? Seem more pronounced in March for some reason.
SWR - here is what I found about a Sun (or moon) halo: This fairly common sight occurs when high thin clouds containing millions of tiny ice crystals cover much of the sky. Each ice crystal acts like a miniature lens. Because most of the crystals have a similar elongated hexagonal shape, light entering one crystal face and exiting through the opposing face refracts 22 degrees, which corresponds to the radius of the Sun Halo. A similar Moon Halo may be visible during the night. There doesn't seem to be a direct correlation to the equinox - but the reports I saw either were at or around the Vernal or Winter equinox. Others might have more scientific explanations. s.d.
I call it a sundog. It means the weather is going to crap out on you in 24 hours. I saw the same sundog on saturday. Sunday was a crapfest blizzard. :huh:
We saw the sundog (full 360 circle) too on Kendall Ridge Sat. mid-late morning, as did some other folks up there. Pretty cool!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.