Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trails and Campgrounds off US 101 - Hood Canal Side
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Mar 18, 2008 10:53 pm 
Saturday I decided to go visit waterfalls off US 101 on the Hood Canal side. Well, I have to say it was disappointing. All the roads leading to most of the waterfalls were close in Olympic National Park. One even made it clear that if you decided to ignore the road closure and you hiked in you would be cited with a ticket for trespassing. My first stop was to Cushman Falls at Lake Cushman State Park. Well at 7 miles at Road #24 towards the Staircase area the road was closed. There were State and Federal signs warning of being ticketed if you decided to hike in. The reason was because of the fires last year making the hills unstable and warning of danger. I was tempted of going past the gate closing the road, but like many other hikers that were arriving and just stood their looking at the signs, I decided against it, not because of the so called danger, but the fear of getting a ticket. Not a bad idea, on the way out a Forest Ranger vehicle was on its way up there. Well there went one waterfall. My second stop was Rocky Brook Falls and I just happened to get there when a heavy shower happened to come right over. The waterfall was flowing really heavy and it is a beautiful site. Unfortunately, I was getting so wet that I managed only 3 shots with my camera before I had to put my Canon away so that it wouldn't be drenched in water. I didn't even bother going to Dosewallips Falls since the road was closed at 9 miles in. The road into Duckabush was closed at 11 miles in and there was a road closure sign at Hamma Hamma I only manage to get a good picture of one waterfall- Robbinswold Falls. There is a sign at a large turn out near Milepost 314 on the southboud direction with a sign that had Robbinswold on it. Right next to it is a nice small waterfall about 25-30 feet high.
U.S. Hwy 101, Milepost 313, Olympic Peninsula
All the campgrounds and trails where closed north of Lake Cushman including Mount Walker, Fallsview Canyon, and Tunnel Creek. I have no idea why. There is no snow, no washouts, it looks perfectly fine. All I can guess is the National Park Service is on Vacation

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm 
i think the NPS will open these campgrounds, etc. on march 30. it's probably more of a maintenance thing for them. where are your rocky brook falls picture? here's mine i took a month or so ago.
rocky brook falls
rocky brook falls
i need to check out robbinwolds soon.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 8:34 pm 
I hope they open within the next few weeks, I want to start going on adventures soon. Here is the picture I managed to take of Rocky Brook Falls. It was the best i could do with all the rain pouring down.
Rocky Brook Falls
Rocky Brook Falls

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 1:45 pm 
With everything over here closed I've pretty much been limited to hiking on logging roads this winter. Here is my Rockybrook falls pictue plus a movie.

Bruce

Bruce
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Falls/Water
You should have been able to go to/see Murhut on the Duckabush or perhaps Lilliwaup Creek. Maybe Spoon, though a bit farther away. Those campgrounds along the canal are mostly USFS. No $$ and anyway usually don't open till before Memorial weekend, however Hamma Hamma and Lena Creek didn';t open last year. $$ and staff to make presentable/safe. TOO Bad!! one can disperce camp most anywhere FREE on USFS land. Bruce

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm 
Well you really didn't miss anything by having to sour grape Cushman Falls, its a major letdown. But...
obitonykenobi wrote:
The road into Duckabush was closed at 11 miles in and there was a road closure sign at Hamma Hamma
...the Murhut Falls trailhead is only 7 1/2 miles off 101, you definitely should have been able to make it in there. doh.gif

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 10:26 pm 
The terror cabin is 10 miles away from 101 and I thought murhut falls was a few miles past the terror cabin. I could be wrong though..

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 pm 
The "Terror Cabin"? Is that place haunted or something? biggrin.gif Well I should be going back after April 15 or so, once I know some of the roads are open again, I was with friend from out of town and he wasn't in the hiking mood, just the pull up, get out of the car and walk a few hundred feet mood. Since he was driving, and I didn't have control of the car I couldn't stop whenever I wanted. Especially since he wanted to get to Port Townsend. I noticed two noticible waterfalls on the way back out from Rocky Brook Falls on the northside of the road through the trees. I would have stopped, but the rain was so intense. I'll be back, I want some good pictures of Murhut and Rocky Brooks Falls and a few others.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 am 
pest wrote:
The terror cabin is 10 miles away from 101 and I thought murhut falls was a few miles past the terror cabin. I could be wrong though..
Is that the same as the cabin at the Ranger Hole trailhead? I know that one is before Murhut, but unless the maps don't show the correct alignment of the road, its just under 7 1/2 to Murhut by my count. Tony, let me know when you're planning on going back, I've been meaning to get back to that area too.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 3:44 am 
pest wrote:
Here is my Rockybrook falls ... movie.
Great movie -- conveys the size and water volume much better than the picture. I think I'll start taking movie shorts of waterfalls. I've been frustrated with my inability to capture those scenes in photos, even with stiched panoramas.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am 
I'm glad you like the movie.. you tube degraded it quite a bit. I was wrong about the in terror 'em cabin, its 4 miles from 101. INTERROREM CABIN Location and Access Travel approximately 22 miles north of Hoodsport on Highway 101 to the Duckabush Recreation Area, turn west onto the Duckabush River Road (FS Road #2510). Follow the Duckabush Road for 4 miles to the end of the pavement. Interrorem Cabin is on the left side of the road.

Bruce

Bruce
PostFri Mar 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
"Terror Cabin"
NO! there is no terror there, just your imagination. Been up and down the Dose and Duck numerous times past couple of weeks tracking elk and there may be a creepy crawler or two around the GS, but thats all. My goodness it's right along the road. People living all around. Even down at the river is pleasant down the trail. USFS will rent it to you to see. Bruce

mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostSat Mar 22, 2008 8:39 am 
Rocky Brook Falls - power plant removed ??
RE: Rocky Brook Falls - power plant removed ?? Understood at one time there was an ill-conceived Small Hydro- Electric development there with a diversion and powerplant and turbine-generator. Any such facilities visible or has it been totally removed ??

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSat Mar 22, 2008 9:00 am 
Sadly, it is still there diverting water.

Bruce

Bruce
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 12:54 pm 
hydro
Not considered "GREEN" and they get 2 cents per kw hour. Same as the local PUD here buys from Bonnevile and sells to it's customers for 6 cents flat rate per kwh. check it out it's not a BAD installition. a diversion to penstock above the falls and dumped back in at the little power house by road. Bruce with microhydro myself totally off grid 18 years