Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagle Point 03-22-08 (Olympics)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 pm 
Lucked into a clear day and took off by snowshoe toward 6247 ft. Eagle Point, about 5 miles east of Hurricane Ridge. Snotel reports from Waterhole about 4 miles out on the route indicated very little precipitation in the past week, and consistent with that we found only 3 to 5 inches of loose snow on top of a very solid base. Local avalanche danger looked to be rather low, so we took off toward Eagle Point from the departure point about a half mile downhill from the Hurricane Ridge parking lot.
Eagle Point from Obstruction Point Road
Eagle Point from Obstruction Point Road
Route past Steeple Rock
Route past Steeple Rock
There are some steep sidehills to traverse in the vicinity of Steeple Rock (although they are not pictured above) so carrying an ice axe may be useful. There is also a very steep chute the road traverses southeast of Waterhole just before it makes a hairpin turn toward the northwest at about 5400 foot elevation. Rather than cross that chute, we left the road at about 5320 ft. elevation and angled up through the woods to the ridge, following the ridge toward the false summit of Eagle Point. While others went on to the summit, I stayed behind to deal with quad cramping. Obviously need to do even more conditioning to recover from months of injury related inactivity. A bummer not to summit, but I certainly enjoyed the view:
Mt. Delabarre
Mt. Delabarre
Mts. Dana, Christie, Wilder
Mts. Dana, Christie, Wilder
Mt. Seattle
Mt. Seattle
Mts. Meany, Queets
Mts. Meany, Queets
Mt. Olympus
Mt. Olympus
Mts. Carrie, Fairchild
Mts. Carrie, Fairchild
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
Mt. Angeles
Mt. Angeles

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RonL

RonL
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 pm 
Cool, I was up there Saturday as well. I just skied around the Hurricane Hill area. Is that parking area on the right hand side of the road before you get to the top where the route for waterhole starts? Or did you park up top and walk back down to head out there? I would like to explore that area on my next trip to the Penninsula.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 2:28 pm 
Ancient Ambler, looks like you enjoyed some great views despite not gaining the summit. Thanks for sharing your pictures. up.gif Sometimes extra fluids drink.gif can help reduce/eliminate muscle cramping, but you probably already know that. Anyway, I hope this hiking season brings you lots of opportunity to be active as can be.....with no more quad cramping. biggrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
RonL, Yes, parking for the snow route out the Obstruction Pt. Road is on the right side of the highway, just downhill from the last curve before you get to the Ridge parking lot. Just cross to the east side of the highway, climb the snowbank, and head uphill to the highway curve, at which point you will find an open snowfield which you descend southeasterly to intercept the path of the Obstruction Point Road heading east through the trees. The actual starting point for the Obstruction Point road is at the east end of the Ridge parking lot, but the first quarter mile or so traverses extremely steep sidehill that is not safe when covered with snow.

RonL

RonL
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 3:00 pm 
Thanks for the tips.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm 
Great trip report! I know about cramps getting in the way (bananas, salty snacks and lots of water is now my diet for trips). Still you got some great picks, Thank you for sharing. up.gif I hope soon I can get out in the Olympics!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm 
Nice pics, I 've never been ther but it's now on my list hockeygrin.gif

Eric Eames