Forum Index > Trip Reports > Catherine Creek 3-22-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stevefromdodge

stevefromdodge
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm 
This the third trip I've made to this general area this month. The entire area is riddled with hiking and bicycling trails that scream to be explored. Two weeks ago, I hit the Rock Arch Loop, last week I did Coyote Wall. Overall, the bloom is still strong, but not as good as last week. The grass widows are spent in most areas, the but Shooting Stars are just starting. The Camas and Balsamroot are just beginning to sprout. This week was still pretty, but I think next week will be better. This week I headed westward from the Catherine Creek Trailhead on the closed road marked 015. It was my first time on this trail. It slabs straight across a rocky plain dotted with small flowers.
Just above this first small climb, the trail enters an area of small seasonal ponds ans streams. The extra water supports flowers and verdant moss. All of this beauty is no-doubt fragile. Within a couple months, all will be dry dust and dead grass. Today however:
The trail comes to a cliff above Rowland Lake and turns to the right, slabbing up the hill at the crest of the cliff. Views from here include Mount Hood, Mosier and of course, the Columbia River. Pungent Desert Parsley and lichen cover the rocks
I hooked to the east when I came to a powerline and found an old abandoned road to follow down. This area was obviously a bit later to thaw and the flowers, grass widows in particular, were fresher.
Next, I explored the universal access trail below the road. The trail is highlighted by Catherine Creek Falls and a great view of the Columbia. This area is a bit dryer and the flowers were a little farther along. Poet's Shooting Stars and Fillaree were common, along with the ubiquitous Desert Parsley.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 4:27 pm 
Enjoyed your trip report a lot. At this rate you're going to cost me some gas if I decide to drive down there and get in on this good stuff. I don't know that area nearly as well as I'd like.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Mar 23, 2008 6:42 pm 
Wow nice to see that spring is in full force at least somewhere in Washington, if not the mountains yet. Beautiful pictures.