Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dungeness Spit, 3-23-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 11:00 am 
Despite the rain that fell most of the day (even in Sequim) our group of Mountaineers made it out to the lighthouse. When we started out a ranger at the trailhead (standing under an umbrella) advised us to watch out for newts crossing the forested 1/2 mile stretch down to the beach. We didn't see any newts, though, coming or going. That led to the corny jokes about reading "the Newts that's fit to print", etc. Very few people were heading out toward the lighthouse - low tide was at ll:30, we started shortly after 10 and made good time. It was pretty easy going in the sand - it was damp enough to be firm. We saw tangles of kelp, a juvenile bald eagle and an odd sea-creature (pictured below). At looking at my field guide the sea creature MIGHT be a Slipper Sea Cucumber but can't swear to it - it was about 5 inches long. There were also a few sluggish crabs near the tideline. Umbrellas were needed for most of the hike, at least for those of us who were trying to take photos (Solosteve, my co-leader for the hike) was braver than us and made some mad dashes into the surf for some photography practice of "slow" water. The lighthouse was open, a first for me. We were surprised to learn from the tenders of the lighthouse that "volunteers" pay $200 a week (per person) to stay there. That seemed rather expensive - but the rewards must be great. You get to give tours and talk about the history of the lighthouse. When the weather is terrible (as it was yesterday) they may let you eat lunch inside (they let us in). Volunteers also do yard work, polish brass, etc. One interesting aspect was the discovery of old piers near the lighthouse; remains of a wharf. Apparently the tides and storms have rearranged the pebbles and sand and exposing these - they were buried for a long time. We made good time back to the trailhead with visions of food dancing in our heads. After much discussion as to where to eat we rejected the "Sunshine Cafe" because it was organic (and therefore expensive). Some folks opted to look for another place to eat; others just went home. We drove around Sequim for a while and it being Easter many places were closed. But guess what was open? The Sunshine Cafe, of course. They were just on the verge of closing when we went inside but were gracious enough to feed us all and the prices weren't as high as we anticipated. Good grub! Stats: 11 miles round trip, 74 steps to the top of the lighthouse. Karen
Heading back, Dungeness Spit
Heading back, Dungeness Spit
Storm damage has caused ancient pilings to appear near the lighthouse, part of an old wharf
Storm damage has caused ancient pilings to appear near the lighthouse, part of an old wharf
We needed umbrellas most of the day
We needed umbrellas most of the day
We righted it and this is how it looked when we found it
We're not sure what this is (or was) - this is how it looked when we turned it over
We're not sure what this is (or was) - this is how it looked when we turned it over

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RonL

RonL
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 am 
I have been told those are Gumboot Chitons. Cute lil buggers.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 pm 
Nice job on the 74 steps! smile.gif I like the umbrella shot.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 1:46 pm 
You sure have a cheery umbrella to brighten the grey day! Yep, I think that creature is a gumboot chiton.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 4:13 pm 
Sounds like you had a great time, Karen. up.gif Sometimes those wet foggy days can make the hike all the more enchanting. I didn't realize it cost money to volunteer at the lighthouse. But I agree with you, it would be a really fun to spend a week there and probably worth it. I think winter would be the best time....fewer visitors and maybe a good storm or two. agree.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm 
The folks at the Sunshine Cafe were very accommodating on Easter Sunday -- you could tell they were ready to get out of there, but there was just a very faint tapping of feet. Quite a varied menu, a passable blackberry shake, and not too far off 101 -- we gave it up.gif up.gif ! The electronic billboard before the Hood Canal Bridge told us it would be a two-hour wait to get on the Kingston ferry, so we elected to drive around. I think we made the right choice timewise if not gaswise -- we saw our fellow hikers' cars still in the 65th P&R lot. dizzy.gif
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Jailed rocks
Jailed rocks
Pilings point the way
Pilings point the way
Pensive gull
Pensive gull
Kelp and rocks
Kelp and rocks
Foamy surf
Foamy surf

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Mar 24, 2008 8:01 pm 
Karen wrote:
I seemed to remeber a thread about the same thing a few months back. Sure enough, we I searched gumboot chiton I found this thread.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 pm 
Nice. up.gif I have to admit, Dungeness Spit is a popular place! I've done the trek out to the lighthouse twice and each time I enjoyed it. The second time I was there my hiking buddy and I ran into a couple white owls. I managed to snap a good photo of one and included it in a poster collage I made.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 7:07 pm 
The chiton is very interesting! I have not encountered this one. I am jealous! Wonder what the Disney folks would do with it? Can't recall how many times I went out to the lighthouse. One time was early summer but the air temp was 60 F. It was breezy. The tide came in and was unusually high, forcing a struggle to clammer over the washed-up debris at the top of the sandy "ridge", the spine of the Spit. It was exhaustive. Upon return to the trail head, my hands were so numb from cold that I could not grasp the vehicle door key...or anything else. I found my way to the nearest restroom and warmed my hands for a long time until I could manage the keys! You do not have to reach the stars upon a tall mountain to freeze your b-lls off on a summer day! I think every outing I encountered curious sea lions, seals, etc. They can be very unhappy when approached on the beach...and, you have to be careful to get around them. Just the same, it lets you know how we share our world with other species....and we are not always the best adapted to that environment. Notwithstanding, Dungeness Spit is one of the greatest walks in Washington.

Karen

Karen
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 7:25 pm 
Sabahsboy, I agree, the Dungeness Spit hike is one of a kind. It's always special, any season. As for the Chiton, when we saw it at first we thought it was a piece of wood or a brick until I could make out the scales. Then, I suspected it was a Chiton but the biggest one I'd ever seen. Somewhere I read that it could be described as resembling a "walking meatloaf". Might have read that in a field guide. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 pm 
I love it: "walking meatloaf"! Tell that to the Chiton Gods!