Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pitcher Mtn. via Dry Gulch / E. Ridge 2/3
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 am 
Location : Wenatchee Access : Miller St. > Appalacha Way Map : GTM - Mission Ridge / Wenatchee Stats : 9.6 mi, 3100', 8.25 hr.
Pitcher Mtn
Pitcher Mtn
I had done this 3907' peak, a year or two ago in late Spring from Saddle Rock following the ridgeline N > W > S. It looks so close and can be seen prominently from Central Wenatchee. Once out there on the open ridges, I found it to be further than one would think. it was over 10 miles r/t. I looked at a different way of going at it, to just get out and do a snowshoe trip, going SSE up Dry Gulch, gaining the ridge and coming in slightly to the S.
Rock formation near the parking area.
Rock formation near the parking area.
One of the spires on Saddle Rock.
One of the spires on Saddle Rock.
Rock formations on the back side of Rooster Comb.
Rock formations on the back side of Rooster Comb.
Dry Gulch with Pitcher Mtn.
Dry Gulch with Pitcher Mtn.
Bee hive Mtn.
Bee hive Mtn.
Steve and I were heading up the road around 0915 hink.gif , able to initially boot in a mile maybe before going off trail and finally putting on snowshoes. We gained the ridge through deep powder snow stuck.gif and some sections of dry wind slabs over powder, that broke easily, but added to the work, mainly on the windward side and apex of the ridge. It was generally overcast, mid twenties, with only light wind at times. The ridges are wide enough that it seems your on a plateau, alot of open country. It was a worker and after 4.5 hr., I had to stop hurl.gif , it was exhausting and lunch time was past due.
Tracks across the broad flat ridge.
Tracks across the broad flat ridge.
Meandering through the plateau.
Meandering through the plateau.
Scrub brush and old fruit trees.
Scrub brush and old fruit trees.
Steve plowing up a ridge.
Steve plowing up a ridge.
Chumstick Mtn (near end of ridge) and Sugarloaf Mtn (far end of ridge)
Chumstick Mtn (near end of ridge) and Sugarloaf Mtn (far end of ridge)
Trenching
Trenching
We ate just below the final push to the summit area 200-300' above us. After some rest and lunch, I felt better, and we made our way to the summit area. It looked cold everywhere, especially with the overcast, so we spent maybe 5 minutes up there, the summit or highpoint sits back and the top of the mountain is large and plateau-ish angling back to the SSW where it connects with a series of 4k' highpooints via a long ridgeline.
Looking out from the summit plateau.
Looking out from the summit plateau.
Looking a little snowy and cool on Mission Ridge / Peak
Looking a little snowy and cool on Mission Ridge / Peak
Looking at The Wenatchee Valley from the East slope of Pitcher Mtn.
Looking at The Wenatchee Valley from the East slope of Pitcher Mtn.
Coming back was much easier, but not like walking, we were thinking of looping around, but with the time and snow conditions, following our broken path back seemed "a known quantity" so we did that hmmm.gif . The open backcountry was gorgeous up.gif , and we were serenaded by coyotes coming back, but the snow as Steve put it, "Has no bottom". It may have been the hardest snowshoe this winter. I had initially broke most of the trail, later once I was wasted, Steve broke three different sections, each going up a good grade hundreds of feet. These kind of trips almost require a team going up. I kept telling him we should have done Mission Peak, it would have been easier, but that's a blue sky peak. I can't wait for some consolidation and someday to walk upon the ground again. hockeygrin.gif
Panorama 1
Panorama 1
Pitcher Mtn Pano 2
Pitcher Mtn Pano 2
Pitcher Mtn Pano 3
Pitcher Mtn Pano 3
Pitcher Mtn Pano 4
Pitcher Mtn Pano 4
Pitcher Mtn Pano 5
Pitcher Mtn Pano 5
Pitcher Mtn Pano 6
Pitcher Mtn Pano 6

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostMon Feb 04, 2008 12:34 pm 
Beautiful area for snowshoe adventure. Great pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm 
Gabigabs wrote:
Beautiful area for snowshoe adventure. Great pics.
Yeah, so much diversity in this state. up.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 pm 
I thought dry gulch was off limits private property? Doesn't the old mining outfit own that? I remember wanting to wander up there as a teenager but was detoured by no trespassing signs. Maybe that's changed over the years. Wish I could have joined you guys.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Feb 05, 2008 9:11 am 
MLHSN wrote:
I thought dry gulch was off limits private property? Doesn't the old mining outfit own that? I remember wanting to wander up there as a teenager but was detoured by no trespassing signs. Maybe that's changed over the years. Wish I could have joined you guys.
The horse club bought alot of the land and it's open to walkers / hikers only. No motorized vehicles and no bikes. up.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 pm 
Cool Stuff. up.gif The spires look interesting.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm 
Justus S. wrote:
Cool Stuff. up.gif The spires look interesting.
Rooster Comb has alot of rock formations and color, one section has very small hoodoo spires like you see in the southwest, a sort of Zion NP look. There are houses going up all around it, so access isn't as easy as it could be. Maybe I will get up there again and get some nice pics in the late spring.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 pm 

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 09, 2008 8:39 am 
What your route looks like in the summer.
Looking down across the Herd farm from the ridge just north of "The Pitcher". The Rooster Comb would be just behind that pine branch at the limit of visibility in the upper lefthand corner.
Looking down across the Herd farm from the ridge just north of "The Pitcher". The Rooster Comb would be just behind that pine branch at the limit of visibility in the upper lefthand corner.
It's been awhile, so I guess the farm might have been sold since I asked old man Herd for permission to hike up through his pasture. wink.gif As developable real estate, that's got to be one of the most valuable pieces of property remaining in the area.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 am 
Nice pic Scrooge, I last ran over to Pitcher a few years ago in the Spring coming from the North. I went up Sadddle Rock, then followed that ridge as far as I could, but had to drop down off of it and over to another to get to Pitcher. The mountains were green with areas of high scrub brush, and the usual flower display. Really gorgeous. I saw the easier route via Sites Canyon. If you entered there you might have enough energy to get up on Pitcher then follow the ridgeline S then back E to the Bee hive area, that would be a awesome trip car to car. I don't know how much land the horse club bought, but alot of groups have started buying land to prevent the population of it.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 09, 2008 12:51 pm 
Wildernessed said
Quote:
I last ran over to Pitcher a few years ago in the Spring coming from the North. I went up Sadddle Rock, then followed that ridge as far as I could, but had to drop down off of it and over to another to get to Pitcher.
I probably do that Saddle Rock Ridge hike more often than any other in the area. Larch likes it, so we do it almost every summer. We'll get a ride up Number 2 Canyon to Stiles Canyon and then walk up it and loop up and around to Saddle Rock ....... and then down to my daughter's. wink.gif
Pitcher Ridge route
Pitcher Ridge route
The time I took that picture of the Herd farm, though, I'd run the whole ridge, starting at the Number 2 Canyon saddle. I went out from The Pitcher by your Saddle Rock route, rather than the route you just snowshoed. The two routes join at the top of Dry Gulch. My explorations of Dry Gulch and the mine workings belong over in the "no-no" thread. huh.gif One unpleasant observation from my Pitcher Ridge trip: there's some pretty ugly development going on up on those 4000 foot ridges.
Mountaintop abortion
Mountaintop abortion
So the "groups (that) have started buying land to prevent the population of it" can't act to fast as far as I'm concerned. I've contributed to them, myself.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Feb 09, 2008 1:06 pm 
I just had a flashback to a trip I did in West Virginia ! eek.gif

Gil

Gil
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 1:37 pm 
Cool spot ... and no snakes!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 am 
Gil wrote:
Cool spot ... and no snakes!
Only Alpine frogs with "Frogs Breath". winksmile.gif

jcb

jcb
PostTue Apr 01, 2008 1:47 am 
MLHSN wrote:
The horse club purchased the old Cannon mine not the Lovitt/Gold King mine!!! If you look at the map follow the line up from the "Gold King" marking that is the rough property line. So Rooster Comb and the lighted Cross are all on private property and the no trespassing signs do apply.