Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Swarms Lil Si! 4/3/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm 
Things just have a way of working themselves out. Both Yet and our team were undecided on TNAB as of Wednesday, but the cosmic universes aligned; it seems we we were destined to hike Lil' Si together. Only one E-X-TREEEME incident for Team Schmidt: Kiefer managed to take a nice gash on her front paw, but don't worry, she is in full recovery on her usual designated couch lump as we speak.
Keeping our gear warm
Keeping our gear warm
TNAB, start your engines
TNAB, start your engines
Kiefer and I synchronize climbing
Kiefer and I synchronize climbing
Group arrives
Group arrives
Now this is a cookie.  :agree:  Do you give lessons, Yukon?  :clown:
Now this is a cookie. agree.gif Do you give lessons, Yukon? clown.gif
Group shot, minus Omega and Malachai.  No, I will not photoshop them.  Do not ask.  :hockeygrin:
Group shot, minus Omega and Malachai. No, I will not photoshop them. Do not ask. hockeygrin.gif
Hmmm....late arrival
Hmmm....late arrival
Mark and his spirit fingers
Mark and his spirit fingers
There's some real finger pointing going on around here.
There's some real finger pointing going on around here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 3:55 pm 
It sure looks different from when were up there on Saturday, noonish:
We were up for a one-day trial for the willing Boy Scouts in our troop with full overnight gear, some vertical over 1000', and ummm, weather. It was fun to hike in the snow. More fun than the rain in any case. smile.gif Some more pix:
Looking up to Mt. Si from the valley
Looking up to Mt. Si from the valley
My son enjoying a PB & honey sandwich
My son enjoying a PB & honey sandwich
Green wall and Snow Tree contrast
Green wall and Snow Tree contrast

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm 
The trip began by me arriving way too early at the meetup location. Ten frames of bowling was in order. It started with a perfect game...
...at least until the next frame.
...at least until the next frame.
Class 2
Class 2
Crowdeder
Crowdeder
Somehow we all fit up there.  I guess this picture shows we could fit even more TNABrs.
Somehow we all fit up there. I guess this picture shows we could fit even more TNABrs.
Alti-babe braved the ledge of doom in a failed group shot attempt.
Alti-babe braved the ledge of doom in a failed group shot attempt.
Everyone was standing tall after the group shot
Everyone was standing tall after the group shot
No sunset.  Headlamps ready, only one deployed
No sunset. Headlamps ready, only one deployed
The scramble route is around here somewhere...
The scramble route is around here somewhere...
Thankfully the route out was illuminated by the glowing ferns.  Not all summits have these and their presence was welcomed.
Thankfully the route out was illuminated by the glowing ferns. Not all summits have these and their presence was welcomed.
Once again it was a fun outing with great folks and everyone made it out, more or less, at least to the NBB&G. After years of unsuccessfully spamming the TNAB list-server, I have finally achieved veteran status! biggrin.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:07 pm 
That's an awesome swarm! Sweet!

Yet

Yet
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:09 pm 
mountainsun wrote:
After years of unsuccessfully spamming the TNAB list-server, I have finally achieved veteran status biggrin.gif
party.gif dance.gif blowout.gif banana.gif up.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:12 pm 
Help, I'm addicted to autostitch panos!
Big Brother Looms Over Us
Big Brother Looms Over Us
View Looking South (do you see yukon222's house?)
View Looking South (do you see yukon222's house?)

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm 
'Dude, your seams are showing. clown.gif lol.gif The second one is much better. up.gif

gone

gone
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm 
Great hike, great group. Thanks again for letting me come along. The swarm proved themselves even more speedy this time. Hearing everyone coming down the road toward the trailhead, I thought to take advantage of the facilities one last quick time, but when I emerged all I saw was a line of hikers half way up the hill moving away at an astounding pace. I worked up some RPMs and a full wheeze, but never again caught the group. I did succeed in catching Yet and Mark at the top of the first hill, though, and saved them from almost certain death following a wrong turn at the Star Gate tree. wink.gif But I eventually had to let them go as I sat for a breather on the memorial bench overlooking the cliffs.
Must...not...lose...sight...arrgghhhh
2 labels
Must...not...lose...sight...arrgghhhh
Luckily everyone was still on the summit when I finally got there. After a brief moment to catch my breath, meet a few folks, re-meet some folks from last week, and participate in a group shot, I noticed everyone moving to the exit. By the time I got my new Petzl Myo XP headlamp out (thanks, wamtngal, for the recommendation and Alti-Babe for seconding it!), pack and gloves on, and made my way to the exit, though, there was no one left on the summit but me. This brief respite prompted me to stop and contemplate being the last one on top of Little Si. Cool. But then I remembered how terrible it would be for everyone to have to wait for me back at the trailhead! Not so cool! eek.gif So I took off at what I thought was a pretty good clip and after a couple of switchbacks ran into Alti-Dude making another yellow arrow sans the snow. He was kind enough to keep me company on the way back, chatting and inspiring me to improve my pace. And though we never caught the pack, we did slide into the parking lot just behind the last of the main group. Amazing. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can race through the dark woods trailing a wheezing geezer while keeping up a conversation the whole time. Jeremy, you rock! up.gif Btw, rather than add to the driving/parking volume, I rode my bike from downtown Snoqualmie to the trailhead and back along the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, about 8 miles roundtrip. The ride over was pretty pedestrian, with the normal volume of afternoon joggers, riders, and dog walkers, but the ride back was really a lot of fun. It was pitch dark, save for my headlamp, and totally desolate, save for the many rabbits. Beautiful solitude, and a great end to a fun TNAB!

JimK

JimK
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 pm 
Yikes! That was one large turn out. What's with "Little Si"? According to the summit benchmarks you have done "Ceder Butt" and "Small Si" along with Fuller Mountain. Ya gotta believe the USGS.

Wes
Big Foote

Wes
Big Foote
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 pm 
Saw you guys!
Hey TNAB, I was at the Little Si parking lot a bit early (due to commitment I wanted to get off the mountain by 7:00) -- I started up the trail at 5:50 and was back at my car by 7:00). Anyways, you may have seen me jogging down when everyone was trekking up. There was no mistaking the friendly TNABers -- it was a much bigger group than I expected. I might try to make it next week for my first real TNABer. wes

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 am 
ewb, you totally rock! riding your bike is awesome. up.gif up.gif no wonder you were off the summit last....just conserving your energy for the ride home. another fun TNAB!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
gone

gone
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 8:45 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
ewb, you totally rock! riding your bike is awesome. up.gif up.gif no wonder you were off the summit last....just conserving your energy for the ride home.
I figured it was because I'm an old fart with Advil knees, but I like your way of thinking! biggrin.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 3:21 pm 
Hmmm I guess if I rode my bike back from Si it would be a nice 31 mile hilly return trip... I'd need one of those $400 bike lighting systems to get home. What do you do with a bike though while hiking, hide it and hope it doesn't get stolen and/or trust a lock? I remember doing this once years ago riding up the Monte Cristo road then hiking somewhere, locking my bike to a tree and hoping nobody brought along a chainsaw to detach my bike from the tree... Would have been a nice long/depressing walk out to the car.

gone

gone
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 5:25 pm 
bikejr wrote:
What do you do with a bike though while hiking, hide it and hope it doesn't get stolen and/or trust a lock?
I cable lock it, through both wheels, after removing the seat and post, which I carry with me. I rarely see bikes at trailheads so figure they're not high on the lists of bike thieves, lending it a bit of security by obscurity. Losing it to a thief would make me mad, but the long walk home would give me plenty of time to cool off. wink.gif