Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm 
Trail information
Trail information
Oh, somebody get me a doctor ! Two 3 mile hikes in two days. eek.gif. It has been a quick and close to home week. But sometimes you have to take a few bullets for the team. This is a quick local favorite although Spring is a little behind this year. My wife and I went for an easy hike on the Sage Hills Trail starting from the South end, which has a new trailhead since the old one was bought and is for private use now. The skies were mostly sunny, but a cool wind, made 60 degrees feel like 40 degrees. The area is significantly lacking it's usual wildflower explosion as of yet, but it was nice to get Jeanette out of the house. She has been laid up with a DVT in her calf for over a week. The trip is a linear, slightly undulating hike out and back (at least this one was) and we had scattered sightings of Yellow Bells, Trumpet Bluebells, Balsam Root, and quite a few Sagebrush Buttercup. Wildflower photos are limited due to operator malfunction, but I got a couple. I'll add several links from years past so you can see what is to come. North Sage Hill Hike 4/2007 Sage Hills Loop 5/2006
Rolling Hills below Horse Lake Mountain.
Rolling Hills below Horse Lake Mountain.
Sagebrush Buttercup
Sagebrush Buttercup
Rolling Hills with wildflower deficit.
Rolling Hills with wildflower deficit.
Nettie on the trail.
Nettie on the trail.
Bush
Bush
Small drainage
Small drainage
Balsam Root
Balsam Root
Chopper Peak
Chopper Peak
Rolling in the Tall grass.
Rolling in the Tall grass.
Sage Hills Trail
Sage Hills Trail

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 6:35 pm 
Man, you're always making me SO jealous! huh.gif Thanks for the eye candy. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm 
Ooo, very pretty. Wish I was closer to there! lol.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm 
It is a very nice area, central to quite alot of other places, and here for everyone to enjoy. If I was further West I would be doing more of those sweet trips up the Mountain Loop and in the Olympics. The last time I was in those areas was when I was still living in Ohio and on vacation out here.

Type E

Type E
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:08 pm 
was that bare ground I saw, I have forgotten what that looks like.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:27 pm 
Type E wrote:
was that bare ground I saw, I have forgotten what that looks like.
Feels good. 6-7 months of snowshoeing has been an overindulgence, Especially the powder. Bring on the consolidated snow and wildflowers. hockeygrin.gif

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:57 pm 
Damn Rob, it seems as though you are surrounded by hundreds of miles of trail, i'm jealous.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 6:40 am 
trailjunky wrote:
it seems as though you are surrounded by hundreds of miles of trail, i'm jealous.
That's one of the main things I love about Wenatchee. Great spring time dessert hikes and the Icicle is only 30-40 min. away. Glad to see the balsamroot is coming out up.gif smile.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 am 
Oops, did I forget Ancient/Dusty lakes and the Entiat are both around the corner as well

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 am 
trailjunky wrote:
Damn Rob, it seems as though you are surrounded by hundreds of miles of trail, i'm jealous.
I am and lucky to be so ! Heaven or Hell can wait, there's hiking to be done. hockeygrin.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:53 am 
If my memory serves me correctly, I remember this area being a fairly popular early season mountain biking area? If so, my bike wants to head east soon! smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
kyle d

kyle d
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 am 
Dicey: Yes, numerous mountain bikers use these trails as well and I am hoping to start myself this next week (went a couple times last year). Wildernessed, thanks for the report, I was up that way myself yesterday. The flowers seem pretty far behind where they were last year, but the buttercups are hanging on well.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:15 am 
The buttercups were nice. You will find people hiking, running, biking, horseback riding etc..., on a snowshoe earlier this year to Pitcher Mtn. several people were snowshoe running on the ridge (freaks winksmile.gif ). Here is a link to some Foothills Trail information and maps. Foothills info.

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 6:22 pm 
We'll be finishing the rest of the Sage Hills trail over to Horse Lake Road this summer. I think that will make just that one trail close to 5 miles. It ought to be kind of neat, as there's a planned bridge in the deep ravine between the end of the existing trail and the extension we're working on now. The plan actually gets a lot more involved than that. The old ranch at the top of Horse Lake Road has been purchased by the Land Trust. They're attempting to re-sell the ranch with some permanent environmental stipulations and easements for even more trails on the perimeter of that property. There are a number of "unofficial" trails and old roads in the surrounding hills that will eventually tie into the Sage Hills trail making the whole place a mountain biking and early season hiking heaven. I've attached a picture from early last summer looking at the Enchantments and Icicle Ridge from the ridge to the west above the Sage Hills trail. You can get as much elevation as you'd like right now. Just stay to the west on the Sage Hills trail system and it becomes obvious how to get up the ridge near the north end.
Top of ridge to the west of Sage Hills trail, looking towards Enchantments and Icicle Ridge.
Top of ridge to the west of Sage Hills trail, looking towards Enchantments and Icicle Ridge.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 pm 
We did this awesome route up the Northeast ridge to Twin Peaks last year, now I found a way to extend it south and back east to number two canyon road or even to Pitcher Mtn. and beyond to Beehive Mtn, and beyond to well, wherever... hockeygrin.gif