Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Road to Green Mountain trailhead for high clearance only?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon Apr 07, 2008 12:44 pm 
BPJ, that old piece of the Green Mt. Trail has been abandoned for many decades. Quark and I took a look for it on our bike trip up the Suiattle last summer. We found an old outhouse and a few cut logs at the start. We soon lost the route where it seems to have fallen into the creek. Bring loppers and gloves if you want to try and get anywhere on that old trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 07, 2008 1:04 pm 
Thanks James. Good info. to know.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Apr 07, 2008 8:59 pm 
I do want to add that along with Snowbrushy's comment about the frontier aspect that closed roads give, I have felt the same way, and still do, but not as a forever thing. As a matter of fact, I used the words, "romantic" and "frontier" in trip reports of these areas whose access was wiped out. I am drawn to these areas anyway, but in even moreso because of the access issues. I could have waited til the Suiattle Rd was fixed in 2009 to do Sulphur Mtn. I could have waited til the Boundary Bridge was in & access was restured to Circle Peak before doing that and Meadow Mtn (when we planned the trip, the Boundary Bridge was a sure thing in 2009). But the inaccessibility of these places played the object of desire, and I wanted to get in there. So yeah, I know what Snowbrushy is talking about. But to lose access forever? Naw. It's a thrill every decade or so, but folks oughta be able to get to these places.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 6:45 am 
silence wrote:
this discussion is a lot about funding right now .. since these roads are being closed for lack of, not for ideology or policy per se.
There may be some ideology behind a pretext of 'funding' which wouldn't suprise me - it would be a refinement of a old arguement between Gifford Pinchot vs John Muir philosophies. In this case, day hikers vs backpackers. There have been changes in the past 42 years that I've backpacked in the North Cascades - Trust Me! There are 1000% more people at the trailheads and on the trails. It probably won't be any different 42 years from now (or worse)? Backpackers will always find the equipment and time to enjoy the remote places. The day hikers will have pictures of the places to drool over and be inspired by ..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
silence

silence
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 7:40 am 
yeah snowbrushy .. my initial thought, too ... but, this road isn't in designated wilderness (which would've made it more about ideology/policy) and i lack knowledge about the specifics so just wanted to keep on subject: lack of funding for the FS (and NPS) -- a sad fact today -- and the need for our voices to be heard for whatever the cause.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 am 
No roads are in Wilderness. Why was the road put there in the first place? Was it a fire lookout to protect timber for possible harvest? If so, that would be a Multiple Use philosophy ( Read: Gifford Pinchot) which has carried over .. Now it is called 'easy access' for day hikers. I volunteer to help re-build the old trail. Where do I sign up?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:31 am 
Quote:
There may be some ideology behind a pretext of 'funding' which wouldn't suprise me - it would be a refinement of a old arguement between Gifford Pinchot vs John Muir philosophies. In this case, day hikers vs backpackers.
I highly doubt that is the case. The funding issues are real, which is not to say that there is not money out there for the federal govt to afford this but that is not how we choose to spend our money. Past that, I don't really believe there is any tension between backpackers and dayhikers anyway, those two groups overlap a lot more than say hikers and ORVs. Even if there were, all of the evidence suggests that backpacking is declining in popularity at a higher rate than day hiking so it is hard to see how the USFS would be siding with the group seeking deep (backpackers) over those seeking better higher access (dayhikers).

WTM

WTM
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:33 am 
I was once told by a ranger who had previously worked in mining, that the only reason that there was not a copper mine in the vicinity of Image Lake was because the international price of copper was too low. Well, times have changed. Nowadays, people are stripping fixtures out of every unguarded piece of hardware they can find to get at it. If, due to loss of traffic up the Suiattle, we lose advocacy, we won't have to worry about Public funding for the road. The copper companies will have one built. But not for OUR use.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 am 
All roads in National Forests lead to logging. The fire lookouts didn't need roads. They used the trails, if any - walked from the Sauk ranger station at Sauk, along the Suiattle Trail before the road was built in 1930/31, then huffed up the mountain. The trail was shortened when the road was built for logging. These roads were built using old technology, if any; with no regard for preservation of the environment. I don't know how the Green Mtn road is affecting the watershed; I'm waiting to hear from someone at Darrington about that before I participate in the public comment session.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
silence

silence
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am 
i just read that buck creek is in the GP Wilderness .. but i can't find a definitive map anywhere online .. just curious .. does anyone know??

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:59 am 
Yes, Buck Creek is in Glacier Peak Wilderness. Re: the mine at Image Lake...I thought the reason, largely, that the mine wasn't put in at Image Lake was due to the successful uproar of hikers/horse users/backpackers? I've read about it in some old North Cascade Conservation Council newsletters. Re: the Green Mtn rd affecting the aquatic life/watershed...would seem to me that maintaining the road as high-clearance would have more of a detrimental affect, much more so than maintaining the road for passenger vehicles, which would take more upkeep. Typically, roads affect watersheds/aquatic life by the dirt (and with that pollution that is shed from car tires/exhaust) that is sloughed off with rainfall. Roads can also fall into creeks (the road crosses two creeks and is an uphill road) and the sediment can muddy up the water, which isn't great for productive aquatic life...those are just two examples. I agree with Tom's sentiment/letter that it appears the FS is trying to cover the lack of funding by pulling out the watersheds conservancy card. No doubt that the watershed is affected by vehicle traffic (of course), but funding is most likely the #1 cause.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 am 
wamtngal wrote:
uproar
The Elders who brought you the Glacier Peak Wilderness Area in the mid 1960's may be with canes and walkers now .. There is no doubt in my mind that they would be fighting in the streets (trails) if any copper mine around Miners Ridge were to develop. up.gif http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak_Wilderness http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak

WTM

WTM
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 7:43 pm 
Quote:
Re: the mine at Image Lake...I thought the reason, largely, that the mine wasn't put in at Image Lake was due to the successful uproar of hikers/horse users/backpackers?
Ya. That's the story. But.... the story behind the story is that the copper companies didn't have much of an incentive to fight the folks you mentioned above. Too low a price for copper. Incentives have changed now. Incidentally. Regarding the clout of 'hikers/horse users/backpackers'... If you want to court one of these three groups, choose the horse users. The horse users are a much more effective group of allies than the hikers and backpackers (who have no organization behind them). But I doubt that even the horsemen could fight the copper interests when they sense real profits to be gained.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 pm 
WTM wrote:
The horse users are a much more effective group of allies than the hikers and backpackers (who have no organization behind them).
What about Washington Trails Association, for starters?

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 pm 
amen to the backcountry horsemen. as evidenced on just this one thread, hikers have very little cohesion. taking something from hikers is like taking candy from a baby. we get all stirred up like hornets after the fact (case in point - the multiple Mtn Loop highway threads - after the public comment period was over). it's difficult to base an opinion on a watershed study that we haven't seen. It's easy to surmise the whole thing really is about budget, but difficult to base a decision on budget without proof that it is about budget. If it were about budget, there would be more outcry. But the watershed - if you disagree, you're against the watershed....? Is it a game? Dunno. The Suiattle drainage at Green Mtn. is very wide and flat. It seems to me, a layperson, that unlike creeks that dump into the river fairly quickly after exiting the slope above it, Captain Creek and the others that come off Green Mtn, go through a large natural filtering process and deposit their load before hitting the Suiattle, which, by the way, at that point is already chock-full of bedload from upriver. At any rate, let's hope for the best; the folks who don't care about the road are alright with it being re-classified, the folks who care about the road will still have a road. For the record, I still haven't made up my mind about it.