Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Road to Green Mountain trailhead for high clearance only?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
WTM wrote:
The horse users are a much more effective group of allies than the hikers and backpackers (who have no organization behind them).
What about Washington Trails Association, for starters?
WTA can't begin to match the clout of thet Backcountry Horsemen as far as being a politically cohesive and active group. That's just the basic truth. Every outreach meeting I've been to, every public comment period, every time the FS has a meeting of any type... I've seen maybe one other hiker, several members of Backcountry Horsemen, and several motorized vehicle enthusiasts. We hikers and backpackers just don't have the collective voice the Horsemen and motorized users do.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 am 
Well, looks like WTF should be formed and we hikers should get our acts together...there's no reason why we can't be a more vocal group. wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
WTM

WTM
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 am 
Quote:
The Elders who brought you the Glacier Peak Wilderness Area in the mid 1960's may be with canes and walkers now .. There is no doubt in my mind that they would be fighting in the streets (trails) if any copper mine around Miners Ridge were to develop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak_Wilderness http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak
Thanks for the sites Snowbrushy but I don't see any ref there to the fight over Kennecott's mine. Try Lowell Skoog's site featuring North Cascades Conservation Council Newsletters, 1960-69 http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/period/nccc/nccc-1960-69.html Concise, captivating summaries of articles in the NCCC Newsletters around the time of the establishment of the Glacier Peak Wilderness, North Cascades Nat Park, Kennecott Copper fight. Leaves you wanting much more. You have to go to the UW Special Collection to read it all.

WTM

WTM
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 9:52 am 
WAMTNGAL wrote:
Quote:
Well, looks like WTF should be formed and we hikers should get our acts together...there's no reason why we can't be a more vocal group.
Hikers can obviously be very vocal but they can't seem to sing the same song. No harmony. In fact, if you ask them to suspend thir independence in order to secure some sort of 'public good', they might take offence and threaten to move to Eastern Washington. Ooooops! I think some of them already have.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 10:37 am 
Singing the same song leads to group think and incestuous "victories" that feel like kissing your sister. The MFK closure was a prime example. Enough of that.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 am 
wamtngal wrote:
Well, looks like WTF should be formed and we hikers should get our acts together... wink.gif
Ayup, the "president of the Washington Trails Foundation" just sent in his comments. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 6:31 pm 
Before sending off my letter to MBSNF, I sent an email to Peter Forbes, District Ranger, Darrington District with questions regarding the impact of Green Mtn road as maintained for passenger vehicles vs. the proposed re-classification of Level 2 maintenance. Regarding the classification in general: "Generally speaking, the only difference between maintenance levels is the frequency of routine maintenance, like brushing or blading. So, for example, instead of being ditches cleaned, brushed or bladed every three years, it might be four years. What that means to the user is that after a couple years, as the brush re-grows or the road surface gets beat down from use that it may be a less comfortable drive in a low clearance vehicle. It doesn't mean that the road is impassable." Regarding it's impact on the watershed: "As far as sediment is concerned, as long as the culverts and ditches are functioning that there should be no increase in sediment between the different road maintenance regimes. If we identify a potential problem where a culvert is plugged or there is some potential for failure, we try to correct the problem when it is identified so that it doesn't cause more damage." Mr. Forbes also discussed the decline of the FS budget as a result of decreased timber sales and their dependence upon Congress appropriations. He advised that the FS realizes the need for continued access for not only forest management, but for public access/recreation. They are continually trying to find ways to satisfy both the water and land resources while managing the road system for other users as well, given the budget allocated them. He was very emphatic that the intent is NOT to eventually close the Green Mtn road - they're just trying to satisfy all issues. Mr. Forbes also wanted to clarify that the Letter of Proposal is a proposal, and that the proposed actions may not be the actions they choose.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 7:29 pm 
Quark wrote:
that it may be a less comfortable drive.
From what I can tell most of the folks who can afford to go for a day to hike (day hikers) have Subaru Outbacks and other very capable vehicles.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm 
It is hard to tell, if it says 4x4 only to me that is pretty hard core and buru's and Rav 4 need not apply. These are eastern CA/Nev standards. I do not use low clearance cars i.e Cameros/TransAms for hiking.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
WTM

WTM
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 am 
Quote:
From what I can tell most of the folks who can afford to go for a day to hike (day hikers) have Subaru Outbacks and other very capable vehicles.
But what about us yokels who can only aford a Geo?! This is class discrimination!

touron

touron
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 12:02 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It is hard to tell, if it says 4x4 only to me that is pretty hard core and buru's and Rav 4 need not apply. These are eastern CA/Nev standards. I do not use low clearance cars i.e Cameros/TransAms for hiking.
The advantage of the Camero/Transam, and why some lightweight hikers are increasingly moving that direction, is you can get to the trailhead alot faster. No room for gear, but the lightweight hiker carries little. Also you'll be at the Snow Lake parking lot with a steaming cup of Starbucks before the Issaquah speedtrap is halfway sprung. 'Course, for 4wd roads you need to install the high clearance kit. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
JimK

JimK
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 4:23 pm 
Today is the deadline for comments on the Suiattle River access proposal. I just sent in my comments. Please take the time to add your comments. Let the Forest Service folks know that people actually do care. Page one of this thread provides links to the proposal and who to contact. Edit: Heck, I'll make it even easier: Phyllis at plreed@fs.fed.us

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 6:41 pm 
Sent in my comments...hopefully the Forest Service will listen. up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 pm 
It just breaks my heart to watch the district I grew up hiking and camping in going down the dumper. Road after trail after road after trail is being abandoned. I understand decomissioning roads that really do nothing but give you a view. What I don't understand is thinking it's OK to shut down a place as cool as Boulder and Pear Lakes, and all the surrounding ridges, peaks, etc. Green Mt should be able to be driven to in a Porsche. That hike has more bang for it's buck than just about anywhere else in Washington. I want people to ogle those views forever. When they give us driving access to Circle Peak area (I hope it's the Boundary Bridge) they wont shut down that access road until the new trail or brushed out road to Crystal Lake is done. One of the best thing about the road to Rattrap Pass was people who don't hike (like my mom) could make a one way drive including all the roadside highlights from the Suiattle to the Whitechuck. I fear I will never unexpectedly meet her at the pass again. (That really happened once!)