Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sketchy Snow Conditions on Arrowhead 04-02-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 am 
One month to the day from the last TR from this location, here is another one, but with a different twist. Cast of characters:
Carol (silly_traveler)
Carol (silly_traveler)
Taehee
Taehee
Rick (Dacker)
Rick (Dacker)
We had a real bluebird day for our outing, but we encountered some unexpectedly sketchy snow conditions: about 6 - 8 inches of sluffy powder on top of an icy layer that made the footing very treacherous and slowed us down to where we knew we weren't going to make our turnaround time.
Carol kicks up a rooster tail of snow
Carol kicks up a rooster tail of snow
This looks like flat terrain in the photo, but if you can spot the top of Carol's tan baseball cap at lower center, she is standing upright.
This looks like flat terrain in the photo, but if you can spot the top of Carol's tan baseball cap at lower center, she is standing upright.
Scenery
Scenery
Clothing adjustment
Clothing adjustment
Cornice
Cornice
Snag
Snag
Summit block from just below our high point
Summit block from just below our high point
Icicles
Icicles
Scenery
Scenery
Carol arrives at high point
Carol arrives at high point
Rick arrives at high point
Rick arrives at high point
We got to a point on the ridge at 5200' where it steepens for its final push to the summit and saw that the way ahead, far from the smooth snow slope Carol remembered from her previous visit, was a convoluted obstacle course of cornices just begging for someone to trigger a slide:
The corniced summit ridge
The corniced summit ridge
Cornice close-up
Cornice close-up
Digging out lunch at high point
Digging out lunch at high point
So, as it was close to our turnaround time anyway, we ate a very late lunch and headed back down. Good thing we didn't wait longer as the descent from the ridge to the RR tracks was slow and scary. We took off our snowshoes and got out our ice axes before we left the ridge. Everyone had to self-arrest at least once and we were constantly setting off small loose powder slides as we descended. But we all got down in one piece and declared the trip an unqualified success--even without a summit--since the weather and scenery were so great, and we all made it down safely.

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:13 am 
What a great day to be out in the mountains! Thanks for the report and pics. Arrowhead is still on my "to do" list. How late in the season do you think it might go?

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 am 
Nice shots! Loose snow on top of icy layer isn't fun; glad to hear you guys made it up and back. Sure looks like the weather was a nice consolation price in lieu of the summit. I still need to get up there too.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am 
What is this "turn-around time" of which you speak? I'm not sure most of us here are aware of this concept.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:27 am 
Bomber views cool.gif , I was thinking of you guys and your effort from across the Columbia River wave.gif . I have a shot of Big C, Snowgrass, and Jim Hill from the distance. Those narrower ridges and there drifts /ribs can be tricky. You need floatation and yet you also need some purchase. With to much fresh snow something has to give with limited time. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 12:26 pm 
Matt wrote:
What is this "turn-around time" of which you speak? I'm not sure most of us here are aware of this concept.
It's a climber thing. That really surprises me Matt, since you are a climber, aren't you? Anyway, before setting out on a trip--usually a climb--a time is set beyond which we feel continuing up could result in an unwanted after-dark descent or even an epic, so we plan to turn around at that time no matter where we are. Even though this was a hike and not a climb, the conditions made me feel that setting a turnaround time was appropriate. So I set it at 3:00 pm, a time I felt we could leave from as far as the summit and safely get down that sketchy steep slidey stuff before dark. We got back to the tracks about 5:00, so it turned out to be a conservative turnaround time, even given the slide conditions, but if we had gone all the way up, we would have needed all the time it allowed and maybe then some. But that's just me. I am very conservative in the mountains: "those who look and turn away live to climb another day."

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 1:38 pm 
Yeah, actually I know what it is. I was just joking about how rare it is for a group to actually follow through on a turn-around-time, rather than just keep going as though they had never heard of such a thing.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm 
I usually have a turnaround time, but it is flexible. lol.gif I like to set it so I know I could make it back down the trail even with horrible conditions or injury. If at the turnaround time, weather has remained good and no problems, I may stretch the "official" turnaround time to the "real" turnaround time which I always follow. Kind of like setting your alarm clock to go off 30 minutes prior to when you have to get up!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 2:55 pm 
Thanks for writing the TR Rick smile.gif up.gif It was very nice to get out with you two again, it's been a while! I'll post some photos later on tonight agree.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
cartman

cartman
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm 
Matt wrote:
The time you turn around after reaching the summit. Seriously. Actually, I almost never set a turnaround time; if I turn around before reaching the goal, it's almost always due to conditions, not time. Though this has led to one or two fairly interesting experiences.

dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 5:43 pm 
Duh! doh.gif If I had thought about it for a second before launching into a long-winded explanation, I would have realized that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Now I've gone and started a whole new topic about "do you observe turnaround times." tongue.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 pm 
Your snow conditions sounded terrible...nothing like we had last year. Good to hear you all made it down safely!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 9:36 pm 
Turn around times: Out of food, out of ooomph, or out of up.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:34 pm 
ice ax self-arresting? hairy.gif looked like a fun day despite the snow conditions. glad you honored your turn around time! super pictures!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 am 
A few photos to share smile.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss