Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Washington (summitless) 05/04/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 05, 2008 5:35 pm 
All photos. Well due to various family obligations and a flat tire I didn't get leave the car and be hiking until about 11:15. Not the wisest choice of times since it was warming up by the second.
Start of Mt. Washington trail at Iron Horse.
Start of Mt. Washington trail at Iron Horse.
Well it was snowless until about 2k feet than patches appeard.
First pieces of snow ~ 2000 feet Mt. Washington trail.
First pieces of snow ~ 2000 feet Mt. Washington trail.
It wasn't until probably 2200-2300 where there was some snow on the trail in places.
Mt Washington trai, now starting to walk on snow ~ 2300 feet.
Mt Washington trai, now starting to walk on snow ~ 2300 feet.
By 2400 feet or so, you were pretty much walking on the white stuff, albeit packed down, but kinda slushy due to the warmth.
Mt Washington trail by about 2400 feet you are on snow for good. Snow was well traveled/pack down. A but slush due to warmth.
Mt Washington trail by about 2400 feet you are on snow for good. Snow was well traveled/pack down. A but slush due to warmth.
Still no need for snowshoes, in fact more of a pain as the tread was more bootwidth. Reached what I think was the Owl Spot. At least it's the only real view point perhaps worth of a name.
Mt Washington Trail Owl Spot? It has to be. View down towards Rattlesnake.
Views down valley Mt. Washington Trail from Owl Spot.
Views down valley Mt. Washington Trail from Owl Spot.
Onward to the junction old/new trail. You can at least see the sign. I put the snowshoes on here.
Mt Washington old/new official trail junction sign. At least you can see it now.
Mt Washington old/new official trail junction sign. At least you can see it now.
Mt Washington old/new trail junction. This is looking the old way.
Mt Washington old/new trail junction. This is looking the old way.
Mt Washington new trail route.
Mt Washington new trail route.
At the creek crossing you had a choice. Climb down and up or go about 75 feet further and cross on a snowbridge. I opted for snowbridge.
Creek Crossing from other side Mt. Washington trail. In retrospect probably just as easy to do this than detour/take bridge.
Creek Crossing from other side Mt. Washington trail. In retrospect probably just as easy to do this than detour/take bridge.
After crossing on the snowbridge there appeared to be some tracks heading up through the trees. This was not the main route., but could see by map it probably hooked back up. Didn't care for ducking tree brances. You have to slog back down to pick up the main walkpath.
Mt. Washington some views past Creek Crossing.
Mt. Washington some views past Creek Crossing.
You round a bend and start heading south, eventually hitting a more open area. Tracks went up to the right and left (more normal way it seemed).
More Views Mt Washington Trail.
More Views Mt Washington Trail.
After some winding around you end up crossing what looks like some snowed over pond areas.
Mt. Washington trail ponds near clearing before traverse.
Mt. Washington trail ponds near clearing before traverse.
Shortly after a clearning with some nice views.
From clearing at traverse spot, Mt Washington trail.
Now you do a little traverse to get around to the back of the ridge. The snow was pretty soft, so sliding down wasn't a fear. It would be more likely if you fell you would plant yourself in the snow.
Traverse. Well traveled but soft. Mt. Washington trail.
Traverse. Well traveled but soft. Mt. Washington trail.
Back over traverse Mt. Washington trail. Well it didn't get any less slushy, but not too bad.
Back over traverse Mt. Washington trail. Well it didn't get any less slushy, but not too bad.
After the traverse you wind around back. At this point it was too late and I decided to turn around. I could see the summit, but still had some time at my pitiful pace to get there and probably about 700-800 vertical feet to go and the snow wasn't getting any firmer. Some views from my turnaround.
Views from back of ridge before ridge climb Mt Washington trail. This was as far as I went.
Views from back of ridge before ridge climb Mt Washington trail. This was as far as I went.
This is the ridge route up to summit.  Mt Washington trail.
This is the ridge route up to summit. Mt Washington trail.
Summit Mt. Washington.
Summit Mt. Washington.
Summit Mt. Washington. Notice the windsock.
Summit Mt. Washington. Notice the windsock.
A few more views back at the clearing spot past traverse.
Pano shot 1 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 1 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 2 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 2 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 3 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 3 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 4 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
Pano shot 4 right to left from view spot Mt. Washington trail.
I debated a shortcut down but deciding after doing one butt plant and taking a few minutes to be able to get back on my feet, so just go back the well traveled way.
Debating shortcut down from clearing spot Mt. Washington trail. I opted not and took same way back.
Debating shortcut down from clearing spot Mt. Washington trail. I opted not and took same way back.
Mt. Washington well traveled route leaving clearing spot.
Mt. Washington well traveled route leaving clearing spot.
Mt. Si Haystack zoom factor from Mt. Washington trail.
Mt. Si Haystack zoom factor from Mt. Washington trail.
A few more shots on the way down. I hate late starts, deadlines. Had I started this more like when I wanted by 8AM or earlier it would have been much better and the summit was there for the taking. To say there is still a lot of snow up there would be an understatement. Some of those snowbridges over creeks that are pretty well hidden/covered could get more interesting in a few weeks I suspect.
Mt. Washington trail Cedar Butte from Owl Spot.
Mt. Washington trail Cedar Butte from Owl Spot.
Mt. Washington trail Rattlesnake from Owl Spot.
Mt. Washington trail Rattlesnake from Owl Spot.
Crappy but packed down and not real posthole snow past Owl Spot Mt. Washington trail.
Crappy but packed down and not real posthole snow past Owl Spot Mt. Washington trail.
Time to bag the snowshoes ~ 2500 feet give or take Mt Washington trail. Switched to microspikes. Need em, probably not, but I have a general rule. If there's snow/ice, I traction up.
Time to bag the snowshoes ~ 2500 feet give or take Mt Washington trail. Switched to microspikes. Need em, probably not, but I have a general rule. If there's snow/ice, I traction up.
Lower section of Mt. Washington old road/trail.
Lower section of Mt. Washington old road/trail.
Mossy rock on lower section Mt. Washington trail.
Mossy rock on lower section Mt. Washington trail.
Back on Iron horse on way down from Mt. Washington.
Parting shot Exit 38 parking lot just before leaving.
Parting shot Exit 38 parking lot just before leaving.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon May 05, 2008 8:22 pm 
Wow, it is going to take until July to melt all that snow on Mt. Wa!

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon May 05, 2008 10:02 pm 
Good to get out on a day like yesterday! Though you did not make the summit it sounded like fun and you got some views. Good TR and pics.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
gone

gone
PostTue May 06, 2008 12:09 am 
Now that I've been up this thing (with TNAB last Thursday; at least to the open area after the creek crossing), I really appreciate your pictures and report. They confirm what I saw going up and really make me interested in coming back and going a little further. Your pictures show that by just sticking with it a little longer than I made it, the views really open up! Thanks for sharing the pics! up.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue May 06, 2008 7:27 am 
I'm actually feeling lame for not doing the final push up the ridge. I think besides the late start I sort of bonked not eating enough on the way up. I actually felt better after I stopped at my turnaround point and ate my lunch, but by then it was getting too late and mentally I had thrown in the towel I think. The more I think about it, this really isn't that long of a trek compared to some. Of course in slurpee consistency snow......it only seems long I guess...