Forum Index > Trip Reports > Odessa Pacific Lake Trail Overnight 4-5-08....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Last.Man.Out

Last.Man.Out
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 am 
Having a weekend forecasting snow here in Spokane, I decided to head westwards to the deserty Odessa Pacific Lake Trail;expected temps in the high 50s with sunshine. I woke up to a somewhat late start at 9:15, hit the road at 10:00 am, driving through snow out of town, and found myself arriving in the small town of Odessa at 11:40. With my dog Dakota ready to go I shouldered my pack and headed off, destination Bobs Lakes. The well marked trail winded up,
Picture 023
1 label
Picture 023
before heading westward for a couple miles. Here it cut North through sagebrush under sunny blue skies. I continued on, crossing west down and back up a small valley, heading north again looking for the trail that would lead me down into the Bobs Lakes' canyon. The trail was spotted at 5.3 miles and I headed downhill, taking in views of the Odessa Towers across the canyon to the west as I dropped down.
Picture 026
1 label
Picture 026
Once in the canyon floor a curious thing happened. I discovered that rather than being inhabited by bodies of water, Bobs Lakes were inhabited by bodies of...cows. Somewhat discouraged by the dried up first lake on my map, I continued on, past the bovine herd, hoping the Northern Bob lake would still have water and provide a suitable place to camp. I traversed along the dry, soft lakebed enjoying the sunshine and steep canyon walls to the east and west.
Picture 030
1 label
Picture 030
Occassional mule deer crossed my sight.
Picture 030
1 label
Picture 030
Picture 035
1 label
Picture 035
Picture 040
1 label
Picture 040
Picture 043
1 label
Picture 043
Picture 048
1 label
Picture 048
Two miles up ahead, with a steady breeze at my back, I crossed over a small hill and there it was, water and Bobs Lake.
Picture 048
1 label
Picture 048
Picture 048.91
1 label
Picture 048.91
Picture 051
1 label
Picture 051
I tossed down the pack at 3:45, having came just under 8 miles. The dog quickly ran into the lake and drank his fill while I sat down and ate some lunch. I pondered the best place to set up camp. Twenty minutes later my MSR Hubba Hubba was set up, fly/groundsheet only,
Picture 087
1 label
Picture 087
and I set off again hoping to do a little fishing at Pacific lake to the North before sunset. A five mile round trip journey took me boulder hopping around the lake, which caused by dog some distress trying to follow as he whimpered his complaints, then across a wide open plateu and up a ravine, eventually reaching a gravel road leading to Pacific Lake Recreation Area.
Picture 053
1 label
Picture 053
Picture 060
1 label
Picture 060
Excited to have arrived I quickly trekked over to the Boat launch area. Unfortunately there was disappointment to be had here too, as Pacific lake was also dry as bone.
Picture 058
1 label
Picture 058
With nothing here to see I headed back south towards camp, taking in views of the cliffs to the East and West until I spotted Bobs Lake with my Tent on the Southern Shore.
Picture 060
1 label
Picture 060
Picture 067
1 label
Picture 067
Picture 072
1 label
Picture 072
Picture 073
1 label
Picture 073
Picture 076
1 label
Picture 076
Picture 079
1 label
Picture 079
Picture 083
1 label
Picture 083
Picture 083
1 label
Picture 083
At about 7:00 PM, having wandered 13 miles for the day, I tended to my blistered left foot, changed my socks and cooked up a dinner of MT.House Potatoes and Beef. Dakota took in some much needed rest before eating his dinner himself and settling down in the dirt y my chair.
Picture 089
1 label
Picture 089
Picture 094
2 labels
Picture 094
Picture 100
Picture 100
Picture 101
1 label
Picture 101
As the sunlight disappeared at 8:00 Pm, I lit my back-breaking six pound duralog and enjoyed the last rays of light. The breeze that had blown all day died down to a whisper and I sat in my Thermawrest chair, enjoying the silence and a bottle of zinfandel out of my sigg container. As the dog lay at my side, stars soon came out and I leaned back, picking out the few constellations I know, Orions Belt, The Swan, The Big Dipper pointing to the North Star. No sight of the Northern Cross tonight...
Picture 126
Picture 126
Picture 130
Picture 130
Picture 135
1 label
Picture 135
At 11:00 PM, the zinfandel gone, I broke into the good stuff, a half bottle of 2001 merlot..., and sipped this away until I called it a night. The fire burned down and distant howls of coyotes perked up my dogs' ears now and then. I turned in at 12:30 and slept the night away, although a stiff breeze picked up to wake me from time to time. I awoke the next morning at 9:00 am, having overslept and missed the sunrise as I often do. After a cup of coffee and a hot breakfast, I started to pack up camp under overcast skies. I encountered some difficulty trying to take down my rainfly under 20-30 mph wins as my tent tried to become a parachute. I did not intend fish my tent out of the lake and finished the deed. At 10:45, packed up again, I once again headed out southwards through the canyon.
Picture 139
1 label
Picture 139
Picture 141
1 label
Picture 141
Picture 143
Picture 143
Picture 145
1 label
Picture 145
Having already memorized the route and minus 20+ pounds of duralog/dogfood/water I made good time, coming out of the canyon in just over an hour.
Picture 148
1 label
Picture 148
Picture 149
1 label
Picture 149
I continued on enjoying the sounds of birds in the brush, laughing at my dog barking at harmless cows. Consulting my topo map, I picked a point at whitch I would cut south-east cross country until I intersected the trail again to the south. A pleasant half hour of crosscountry travel in which I saw a coyote running off into the distance led me back to the main trail. Another hour of travel was grinded out,
Picture 154
1 label
Picture 154
with throbbing feet until finally I had reached the trailhead and my truck, traveling 7 miles in just over 2.5 hours. I gave Dakota, panting and looking thirsty the last half a Nalgene of water, which he drank mid-air out of the bottle, then we drove away back towards town... All in all this was a great trip, I never saw another soul on the trail, the scenery was great, and I'm likely the only one in Spokane with a sunburn...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 5:57 am 
Welcome to NWHikers, Last.Man.Out I enjoyed your TR & pictures. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Gil

Gil
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 am 
What an interesting place! Are those lakes seasonal, so the drying up is normal? And what about trailhead / trail stats for the non-cognoescenti?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 am 
Gil I dont know if there seasonal but there damn well dryed up and this was a record winter- wouldnt want to go there in August...far as totals it was 20 miles round trip and 1700 ft elevation gain , well worth it for the solitude...I did head to pacific lake which if excluded would cut of 5 miles round trip btw.

overslept another sunrise
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 am 
Way to go Cole, great trip and nice pics. Looking forward to future trip reports. up.gif

gone

gone
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 10:53 am 
Beautiful desolation! Great pics! Thanks for sharing them! up.gif

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 11:31 am 
That sounds like the trip I desperately need to take right now myself. Solitude, my dog, and a bottle of wine sound heavenly. Great trip report. Any snakes out yet?

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 12:22 pm 
Last.Man.Out wrote:
At 11:00 PM, the zinfandel gone, I broke into the good stuff, a half bottle of 2001 merlot..., and sipped this away until I called it a night.
Damn, sounds like my kind of evening at camp. up.gif But, sounds like you must've been up all night pi$$ing. down.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 1:47 pm 
Fun, what a neat way to spend a weekend. Sounds like a perfect evening with perfect company. Nice pics, too. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm 
yep, no longer in western washington. no trees! thanks for the TR. looked like you and dakota had fun. love #83, #130, and #143!! up.gif up.gif a sunburn/tan is a sure sign you were away from spokane! do you like your hubba hubba? i just bought the hubba for my hubby for his birthday. (it's still in the box!)

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 4:01 pm 
Ewb-thanks it was rather desolate, glad i packed in water... Canuck- no rattle snakes out yet that i saw, but i had my eye out Chipmunk- Wine is water to me, just rehydrates so no worries... Thanks Mama and TrailJunky, Me and Trailjunky hike together and he actually got me into backpacking... Bcfc53- I do like the Hubba Hubba, tons of room for 1 and gear, plenty for 2 if your friendly, its a tad heavy at about 5 lbs, but lately I've ditched the body and gone with the groundsheet and rainfly for about 3lbs weight. I kinda like it cause its roomier and has a more open feel....

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm 
Wow, thanks for posting this! Excellente up.gif Nice to see sumpin' different. Love the pics; gorgeous place.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Lochsa

Lochsa
PostTue Apr 08, 2008 10:18 pm 
Great report - I was thisclose to going there Sunday in search of some sun as well. I had planned to take my bike, but opted for the bluffs instead. Looks like a great early season option.

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?

LastManOut
Where's my whiskey?
PostWed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 am 
Being a long winter as it is this was a great destination, could easily be mountainbiked in a few hours... Damn the snow for keeping the mountains outta reach...