Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rescue of "Reggie" from Pyramid Peak 04/08/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:12 am 
So the challenge had been set, were we up to the task? We'd been thinking of the NWHikers Traveling Summit Register, all cold and lonely under the snow on Pyramid Peak, for a few weeks when HJT layed down the challenge. Suddenly, our wondering became a possessive need to rescue Reggie Ster! We left Sequim a little after 4:00PM and after a brief errand in Port Angeles arrived at the trailhead on the north shore of Lake Crescent at 5:30. In our excitement we forgot that this trail was in the O.N.P. but the large "No pets, weapons, or vehicles beyond this point" sign reminded us. We left the Alti-Whippets in our vehicle with the keys and instructions that if we weren't back by an hour after dark to drive into P.A. to get help. We were on trail by 5:40 trying not to listen to Kiefer's screams of protest, "no it's too dangerous, you need your trained backcountry canines!" We made great time along the gentle grade of the first third of the trail. Views of the lake played peek-a-boo through the trees to our right and we were surprised to look up and see patches of blue sky. The trail was in great shape and we quickly found out why as the high pitched wine of a chainsaw as well as the smell of sawdust and gasoline assaulted our senses. We came around a bend to find two park employees finishing up cutting their last downed tree of the day. They informed us of the good news and the bad news: 1) they had done a little maintainence along the "slide area" just the day before 2) there were an estimated 70 downed trees across the trail from the slide to the summit.
Making good time
Making good time
Soon after we came to the dreaded "slide area." After surveying the scene it was clear that you could not go above or below the slide and our ice axes would be of no use if we fell. The pictures just don't paint a true picture of how intimidating the situation is. We steeled up our nerves and proceeded across as quickly yet safely as possible. It wasn't so bad; the path was almost a foot wide wink.gif !
I don't remember it being this bad
I don't remember it being this bad
Danger with a view
Danger with a view
The good news is, if you fall, the trees will stop you before you go into the lake
The good news is, if you fall, the trees will stop you before you go into the lake
Whew, across!
Whew, across!
A short distance after crossing the slide we came to a log jam of three mature trees down across the path. This forced us to descend 100 feet down the steep slope, cross the logs, and climb back up the hill to find the trail. If the whole rest of the trail was like this, we would never make the summit. Luckily, the switchback part of the trail up the the ridge crest was free of any more major blockages. We took a short rest on the ridge and celebrated only 700' more to climb.
Into the mist
Into the mist
We didn't do it!
We didn't do it!
Up till this point the trail had been snow free, but from the ridge crossing to the summit the snow got steadily deeper and deeper. Adding to the adventure was the fact that the mist was freezing into tiny snowflakes. The best part, though, was to discover that the majority of the downed trees were in the last 500' before the summit. Climbed under, over, and around numerous snags, snarls, trunks, branches, and root wads.
How many downed trees did he say?
How many downed trees did he say?
Oh yeah, this is fun!
Oh yeah, this is fun!
Just when it seemed the "fun" would never end we looked up to see the summit shelter peeking out through the trees. We stepped inside out of the snow and had the following conversation: Dude, "Do you remember exactly where they put the register?" Babe, "No, I thought you looked it up" Dude, "Maybe I should have looked again before we came out here" Babe, "Yeah, ya think?" We seemed to remember it being underneath the shelter by one of the corners. A search of the foundation revealed our goal. Finally, we had a hold of Reggie!
Reggie's home
Reggie's home
Dude and Reggie
Dude and Reggie
Babe and Reggie
Babe and Reggie
Its mine, all mine, hahahahaha!
Its mine, all mine, hahahahaha!
A bit of view
A bit of view
Come in out of the weather
Come in out of the weather
View from the shelter
View from the shelter
"Nice view...and the lake's not bad either!" says 'Dude.
"Nice view...and the lake's not bad either!" says 'Dude.
Of course, going down is faster than going up, especially when you (unintentionally) glissade down the trail on the snow. You just have to make sure you stop before you slide into the downed trees eek.gif . We had to turn on our headlamps about halfway back. Crossing the large log jam and the slide area in the dark and rain sure added a little excitement to this mundane trip winksmile.gif ! Of course, once we arrived back at the car we were promptly mugged by the whippets who luckily hadn't driven in search of help yet, even though we were a little late whaambulance.gif .
Now we're talking excitement!
Now we're talking excitement!
Hold still while I take the picture and don't look down
Lucky trailhead shot [size=10:646da0a9e6](The sign reads Danger: A recent landslide has obliterated a portion of the trail ahead.  It cannot be hiked safely at this time.)[/size:646da0a9e6]
1 label
Lucky trailhead shot (The sign reads Danger: A recent landslide has obliterated a portion of the trail ahead. It cannot be hiked safely at this time.)
Reggie will be staying with us for a few days and will have a new home soon. While he was with us he did get to attend his first NWHiker social drink.gif !
Getting to know his host family
3 labels
Getting to know his host family

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 5:59 am 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
We left the Alti-Whippets in our vehicle with the keys and instructions that if we weren't back by an hour after dark to drive into P.A. to get help. We were on trail by 5:40 trying not to listen to Kiefer's screams of protest, "no it's too dangerous, you need your trained backcountry canines!"
ykm.gif rotf.gif Good thing they haven't been talking to Whitebark's dog who knows how to drive a car. Or perhaps they did. Have you ever checked the odometer after leaving the dogs alone in the car for hours? lol.gif
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Crossing the large log jam and the slide area in the dark and rain sure added a little excitement to this mundane trip winksmile.gif !
Lucky trailhead shot [size=10:3d9c0f9a15](The sign reads Danger: A recent landslide has obliterated a portion of the trail ahead.  It cannot be hiked safely at this time.)[/size:3d9c0f9a15]
1 label
Lucky trailhead shot (The sign reads Danger: A recent landslide has obliterated a portion of the trail ahead. It cannot be hiked safely at this time.)
I know how much the picture can "remove" the steepness from a picture. But that still looks really steep, rocky and narrow. So it was even steeper, rockier and narrower in real life? eek.gif And night crossing with a stop for picture? borank.gif up.gif Excellent description and pics of your latest hike! up.gif up.gif

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 am 
Way to go, Dude and Babe! So, was it thoughts of the whippets that drove you so relentlessly upward despite non-stop peril? Did they threaten to snark on you mile after mile on the long drive home, if you dared to come down from the peak empty-handed?

gone

gone
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 am 
Nice work! Those slide shots made my palms sweat! Glad you made it back safely!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 am 
Nice work, guys! smile.gif It was fun meeting Reggie last night...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 am 
And all this time I thought there were only two whippets in the Schmidt family. Crossing that slide at night, in the rain, and going under and over logs-of-unusually-large-size to the Lookout! eek.gif I think the whole bunch of you is WHIPPETS! Good thing Alti-Dude could sniff out the register on top. And, no doubt he stopped to mark his territory with a big arrow. hockeygrin.gif CONGRATULATIONS YOU TWO!!!!! Your new doggy coats and booties will be arriving in the mail soon. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 pm 
Meeting Reggie was a highlight of the social...hopefully we'll get to meet again some time. biggrin.gif Way to be EXTREME you two.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 12:54 pm 
Nice work guys. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 pm 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Way to go, Dude and Babe! So, was it thoughts of the whippets that drove you so relentlessly upward despite non-stop peril? Did they threaten to snark on you mile after mile on the long drive home, if you dared to come down from the peak empty-handed?
I certainly didn't want to hear the continual "we could of done it" on the way back, that's for sure!

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:06 pm 
totally sorry for not being at lake crescent lodge for your goodies! you guys rock for your brave attempt across the slide but most of all the return trip in the dark, snow, and whatever else! up.gif up.gif i'll ask mark to check the names of the 2 ONP trail maintenance guys to heartily thank them for making the slide crossing wider and i guess, safer!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm 
Thanks bcfc.....you rock for bringing the goodies for the car ride. wink.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:25 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
i'll ask mark to check the names of the 2 ONP trail maintenance guys to heartily thank them for making the slide crossing wider and i guess, safer!
They did new tread work on the slide? If so, this is good news. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:29 pm 
I would by no means call it wide. shakehead.gif They did stomp down a flat path though, but plenty of exposure still for the faint of heart. I think their exact words were, "if you fall, you'll die." Okay, then. Made me feel real warm and fuzzy inside. eek.gif Their hard work was much appreciated, though. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 pm 
i wrote wider.........from 5 inches to 5.5 inches! huh.gif here you go, goats: The trail was in great shape and we quickly found out why as the high pitched wine of a chainsaw as well as the smell of sawdust and gasoline assaulted our senses. We came around a bend to find two park employees finishing up cutting their last downed tree of the day. They informed us of the good news and the bad news: 1) they had done a little maintainence along the "slide area" just the day before 2) there were an estimated 70 downed trees across the trail from the slide to the summit. one must listen between sentences when talking to park folks biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ree

ree
PostThu Apr 10, 2008 4:44 pm 
Nice tr! Looks like a blast. heheh... Tisha looks like she's turning vowels in that trail sign pic. winksmile.gif At first I was thinking "Reggie???" confused.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif Could be "Regina" too. hockeygrin.gif