Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: West Tiger Trio 4/10/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Apr 11, 2008 4:48 pm 
As advertised, TNAB visited the west summits of Tiger Mountain this week. Good crowd gathered at the "trailhead" for the Cableline, just outside the main Highpoint gate, to participate in the fun. Roll call! Andrea (wamtngal) Carla (dicey) Damon (back from Belize) Don (Malachai Constant) Eric (ewb) Lesley (Aussie) Nikolai (twodogdad) Patti (rdyhiker) Peggy Steve (Yukon222) Steve N (The Phantom) Troy (mountainsun) Wes (Q-Tip newbie) ...and Yours Truly, making a flailing attempt to "lead". Right out of the gates, TNAB'ers began sprinting up the treacherously muddy Cableline, a straight shot to West Tiger 3. As per usual, we encountered many other hikers along the way, some still heading up, others picking their way carefully down the trail. It took us about an hour to reach WT3, the last 15 minutes of which were in snow. I have never seen so much snow on Tiger before! 2008 is gonna be one of those benchmark years that folks will refer to in the future whenever it snows... Nicely warmed-up, the group then bounded off, en masse, to West Tiger Two. A trough in the snow doubled for the trail, making it impossible to get off course. From there, we took the road to West Tiger One. The foot-deep snow made for quite enjoyable road travel. At WT1, we somehow got 13 hikers and three dogs into the hiker's hut. WOOO HOOOO! After that, it was all downhill. Good weather, great group of hikers, and really sloppy trails equals a memorable TNAB. 5:35PM start 6:35PM Three 6:55PM Two 7:20PM One 8:50PM Exit (pics to follow) Next Hike: Dirty Harry's Peak

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 pm 
Average time up Tiger 3 was an hour. Some were up, uh, how fast? eek.gif Terrific way to spend a Thursday night. I missed all the good photo opportunities; it was much more fun than the pictures show.
FirstTiger3
FirstTiger3
movingAlong
movingAlong
aTigerView
aTigerView
lastTiger1
lastTiger1
SummitPizza
SummitPizza
WeMayBeLostAndItLooksIt'sLikeMyFault
WeMayBeLostAndItLooksIt'sLikeMyFault

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 pm 
The first four were 42, 42, 43 and 44 minutes I believe. The sloppy conditions slowed them down considerably. lol.gif rotf.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 pm 
How does a time up the cable line compare to taking the normal trail? I.E. an hour up cable = ?? Up normal trail? Strange as it sounds I've never hiked up the entire cable line. Trying to gauge my fitness for trying to keep up with folks. I think I have some work to do... Was thinking about going but was sick in bed Tuesday and Wednesday with some kind of strange virus. Still don't feel 100% yet...

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostFri Apr 11, 2008 9:33 pm 
Wow - looks like a lot of snow melted in just a couple of days! Sounds like you had a good time. Hope to see you next week at DHP. Rich

Yet

Yet
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 9:18 am 
bikejr wrote:
Trying to gauge my fitness for trying to keep up with folks. I think I have some work to do...
bikejr, it's not about keeping up with folks. You show up, find your own pace, and have fun - because that's what it's all about. You are responsible for yourself at all times on these hikes. Know the destination, know the trail, know your abilities and when to turn around. And be comfortable with the fact that you might be hiking alone at times, and sometimes even in the dark. up.gif

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 am 
Well, I'm willing to admit to being one of the slowest ones up the cable line. smile.gif The group was patient and waited for everyone to summit 3 before heading to 2. And as Yet wrote:
Quote:
bikejr, it's not about keeping up with folks. You show up, find your own pace, and have fun - because that's what it's all about.
And this group is fun - lots of laughs and a variety of abilities/hiking styles. We descended from 1 (on that LONG loop) as a group. And I hope I redeemed myself then by keeping up with the good pace and doing it without my headlamp. (yukon, I still think the latter qualifies me as a veteran TNABer!) agree.gif biggrin.gif Good times, good workout, pretty sunset, great company! Some pics:
Our fearless leader.  We started in spring sunshine.
Our fearless leader. We started in spring sunshine.
But it was winter at the summit
But it was winter at the summit
TNABers on West Tiger 3
TNABers on West Tiger 3
mountainsun head shot, Damon, dicey and yukon222
mountainsun head shot, Damon, dicey and yukon222
W. Tiger 2 summit
W. Tiger 2 summit
Aussie has me laughing ::)
Aussie has me laughing smile.gif
Damon on the traverse to 1
Damon on the traverse to 1
Mark heading up to 1
Mark heading up to 1
W. Tiger 1 summit
W. Tiger 1 summit
... with the hikers hut
... with the hikers hut
yukon getting his pano shot
yukon getting his pano shot
Even w/his excellent instruction, my shot isn't of the same quality.
Even w/his excellent instruction, my shot isn't of the same quality.
Seattle from W. Tiger 1
Seattle from W. Tiger 1
Heading into the hut for a group shot
Heading into the hut for a group shot
Malachi determines our route down
Malachi determines our route down
This is April on Tiger??
This is April on Tiger??
Great pose, mountainsun!
Great pose, mountainsun!

sgwizdak

sgwizdak
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 1:26 pm 
I wasn't able to make this one due to work obligations, but I'm looking forward to next week. :-)

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSat Apr 12, 2008 2:31 pm 
Sweet! I get confused by all of the summits on Tiger but it looks like you guys had a great time! up.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 6:46 am 
Another fun trip with another great group of people! I always appreciate a good loop. The Tiger 1, 2 and 3 traverse have been on my I-90 list of things to hike when I can't hike something more scenic...nice to finally check it off. smile.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Wes
Big Foote

Wes
Big Foote
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 11:16 pm 
West Tiger X3
Wow that was fun -- running shoes and socks and two feet of snow for 4 miles. Been to West Tiger in April by bike (with no snow), but this was something else. Oh well, more prepared this week . . .

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 12:56 am 
Looks like another great night in the mountains on another Thursday night. Man, someday I'm goingt to have to make it for one of those trips. The one and only time I ever summited Tiger 3 was along the Cable grade, good workout. up.gif

runningbird

runningbird
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 8:16 am 
3 tigers
Mark, Thanks so much for another great trip! I truly appreciate all the time and work you put into setting up these Thursday hikes and posting these great trip reports. You provide the itinerary and the tone for a super group of folks. a great time and learning new trails. cool.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 am 
meandmyaussies wrote:
Wow - looks like a lot of snow melted in just a couple of days! Rich
It was more than enough for us - thanks for the heads-up on conditions -Mark

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
gone

gone
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 pm 
Finally back from a weekend on the Washington coast and wanted to post some notes and pics. First, thanks again for having me along - this is such a great group! Secondly, the cable line route is not a trail, it's an incline torture device. This bad boy starts out insanely straight up at the parking lot and stays that way to the top. There's not a switchback to be had. There are two points where the torture levels off for a couple hundred yards, but that's it, and, though I didn't check the map, I suspect that these portions only seem level by comparison to what was endured getting to them. And, to make things more interesting, the way became snow and slush covered just before crossing the main #3 trail. Honestly, it's like climbing the stairs to the top of the Sears Tower, except 500' higher, without the stairs, and with lots of mud and snow. And still, somehow, this supernatural group never missed a beat! I'm such a poseur. Anyhow, here are some pics. You could almost smell the anticipation in the parking lot.
Ready, break!
Ready, break!
Then without so much as a warm-up the group leapt vertically up the cable trail.
Up, up, and away!
Up, up, and away!
Of course, I like to keep an eye on the group, so I let everyone get out in front. wink.gif Occasionally, I was caught and passed by trailing TNABers, who I sent word with to the top: "Don't (wheeze) wait (wheeze) for (wheeze) me (croak)!" Still, somehow, I got to the top first.
Summit's beautiful, wish you were here.
Summit's beautiful, wish you were here.
I waited and waited, but the group never showed up. I did watch a beautiful sunset, though.
Beautiful sunset from West Tiger #3.
Beautiful sunset from West Tiger #3.
Tired of waiting on top, and freezing my butt off, I put on my Yaktrax and headed back down to the parking lot. I really enjoyed the slide, bob, and weave the Yaktrax afforded me on the way down. Glad I got to try these out once this year. Before getting to the parking lot, I caught the main Tiger Mountain trail west to the trailhead to kill some time and check out some interesting sights. It was pretty dark, but I never actually used my light. I thought for sure the group would beat me back to the parking lot, but my speed and agility had paid off again and I had the place to myself for another 30 minutes.
Hey, where is everyone?
Hey, where is everyone?
Eventually everyone caught up with me. Sounds like it was a real adventure. Can't wait to not keep up again next week! biggrin.gif