Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Creek, ONF 4/12/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canuck

Canuck
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 8:33 pm 
There have been a couple trip reports already on this, so I'll just add the parents' perspective: contrary to my over-confidence that my kid could do the whole loop with all the snow... I was wrong!! We went counterclock wise at GGW's suggestion, and got to Big Creek (?), around 2.2 miles or so, where we had to stop. My mom and I could have gone further but it was too slick & deep (and melting, due to the very warm weather!!! up.gif up.gif ) for a little kid. But that's ok. It was a gorgeous day, a fun trail, and my kid didn't even so much as ask for a piggy back ride!! A few pictures, all of my kid, cause I'm the proud mom!! Other than the snow, it's a great trail for kids. Not overly steep, lots of cool things to see, and tons of bridges - even though we only did half of the trail.
Happy Joe at 2 miles
Happy Joe at 2 miles
Joe Cool at Big Creek
Joe Cool at Big Creek
Happy Joe at 3 miles
Happy Joe at 3 miles
We had a scavenger hunt on this outing -- great idea, for those hiking with kids, by the way -- he got a huge kick out of this. Here he is, crossing off yet another bridge on the hunt for "at least 6 bridges":
Marking off the list, ~3 miles
Marking off the list, ~3 miles
And at long last.... THE END!!! He took a spill just before this picture into the salal and has a good scratch going from mid-cheek across his face & lips, down to the bottom of his chin. Oops. (And we were supposed to get professional photos today, but thankfully the photographer was sick!!)
He makes it 4 miles!!
He makes it 4 miles!!
It was a perfect day in the woods. Great weather, great company, no bugs, and one amazing kid! biggrin.gif And a plug for good hiking boots, even for children. I've always just had him wear tennis shoes, because his day hikes are around only 2 miles, tops. He started complaining when we were back at the campground that his feet hurt. He had no blisters, he just said the bottoms of his feet hurt. I can imagine without the good boots, we may have gotten complaints a lot earlier. I now think it's totally worth the expense if they're hiking more than a couple miles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
Way to go, Joe!! dance.gif I love seeing smiling kid pictures in the woods. wub.gif I agree with good boots even for little kids. It's nice to have that extra support for them, and if you can find ones that are waterproof, that's an extra benefit. They are walking the same trails we are, they deserve the same (or better) protection for those tender tootsies.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Don

Don
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
What an excellent adventure! up.gif And what an excellent way to draw interest to the young!!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 13, 2008 9:17 pm 
congrats to joe on a great hike! hope your booboo gets better fast! perfect! new hiking boots, rain slickers, gloves, backpack, hydration bottles, clif bars etc. hook joe up with new gear!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 am 
Nice TR, I hope our son is enjoying the trail as much as yours someday.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 9:41 am 
Way to get the kids hiking Canuck. up.gif Glad to see you all made it across the creek OK.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Canuck

Canuck
PostMon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am 
skimpyphud wrote:
Way to get the kids hiking Canuck. up.gif Glad to see you all made it across the creek OK.
We went counterclockwise, and had to turn around just past the 2 mile marker so we didn't have any creek crossings to deal with (at least none without a bridge!). He told me last night the hike was his favorite part of the entire weekend. up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Apr 15, 2008 10:09 pm 
Way to go, Joe! up.gif up.gif Hopefully, later this year you can go back and count all the bridges. hockeygrin.gif Glad you had a good time, Canuck. And lucky you for living so close to a wonderful place. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel