Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tronsen Head - 4.16.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Apr 17, 2008 9:32 am 
larman and rodman joined me for another hike/snowshoe on the sunny east side. Starting from the sno-park at Swauk Pass (4100'), we hiked on FS9716 for a half-mile... then followed the marked XC ski track towards Haney Meadows. After hiking for ~2.5 miles we came out of the trees between Diamond Head (5915') and an unmarked bump (~5920')... from the unmarked bump we contoured around a steep drainage on our way over to Tronsen Head (5980'). On our return we continued east on Tronsen Head until we found a comfortable place to descend on its north side... where we quickly gave back a 1000 feet of elevation to reach more gentle terrain which we followed west then northwest to complete our loop trip. We carried ice axes, but didn't need to use them... I was the only one who used snowshoes and that was only for the last 2.5 miles of our return trip. We didn't see anyone else during our trip... very nice views from both the unmarked bump (~5920') and Tronsen Head (5980')... 8.5 miles roundtrip, gaining 2317 feet of elevation. GPS route and photos of our Tronsen Head hike/snowshoe. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 17, 2008 10:06 am 
That's a sweet loop. You guys and others keep coming up with names for these points dizzy.gif , and they are worthy of names, but I look at the trips and pics and think , Hey, I was there. I had a little over 6000' on my 60Csx for the highpoint just E. of Diamondhead, so I referred to it as Point 6000'. Nice pics. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Apr 17, 2008 10:57 am 
wildernessed... you pretty much own the east side and have probably done everything over there... if you haven't already done so, check out the Back Court 100 List at peakbagger.com Tronsen Head (Pt 5980) is number 80 on the list. Type E has also done a lot of hiking/climbing on the east side and has some good trip report info on the BC 100 list. One of my east side friends told me that an old-timer from over there refers to your Point 6000 (between Diamond Head and Tronsen Head) as "Tronsen Knob".

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 17, 2008 11:42 am 
up.gif Thanks, I know Type E is all over them Back Court peaks. I just look at what I think would be neat and do it from maps anymore.

Living in the Anthropocene
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Apr 19, 2008 7:34 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
One of my east side friends told me that an old-timer from over there refers to your Point 6000 (between Diamond Head and Tronsen Head) as "Tronsen Knob".
Hi Folks, Lots of us E-burg x-c ski club types have always referred to it as "Windy Knob". We call the open scree gully below it, and between it and Diamond Head, as "Windy Gully" as you might imagine. Tend to get blown hard and cold through there!
IMG_4507windyknob
IMG_4507windyknob
A picture of Windy Knob.
IMG_2114tronsenridge
IMG_2114tronsenridge
It is the middle one in this photo with Tronsen Head at left and Diamond Head to the right.
IMG_2144windyview
IMG_2144windyview
View north from the top.
IMG_2072gully
IMG_2072gully
Climbing Windy Gully. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.