Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kendall Peak Lakes - 04/20/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Apr 21, 2008 11:59 pm 
This is a common destination so I'll be brief. People must think the winter recreation season is over because when we got to the Gold Creek SnoPark at 2pm (no permit required) there were only a few cars there. That's a really different scene than the mayhem in the middle of winter. The trail is packed down and one could conceivably do it in boots, but we put on snowshoes after the first half mile. One nice thing about this road/trail is my wife and I could walk side-by-side and talk. On the way down we took the shortcut at the switchback -- there were clear snowshoe tracks to follow. It probably saves half a mile. We didn't make it all the way to the lakes because of our late start, but we enjoyed unexpected sun breaks and big views. This was my first time on this trail and I had the impression that the views were scarce. Here's some pictures and a video to disprove that idea.
More and more snow as we climb higher
More and more snow as we climb higher
We stopped before getting to the lakes because it was getting late and the views from here were better.
We stopped before getting to the lakes because it was getting late and the views from here were better.
Summit Central ski area. We were wondering what the bumps on the slope in the center are for.
2 labels
Summit Central ski area. We were wondering what the bumps on the slope in the center are for.
Rampart Ridge from the Kendall Peak Lakes trail
Rampart Ridge from the Kendall Peak Lakes trail
Panorama from our lunch spot.
Panorama from our lunch spot.
The big hill on the right is the end of the S ridge of Kendall Peak. Check out all the the turns coming down from the summit in the large version of this shot. I wish I could ski well enough to do that frown.gif And finally a video to commemorate my wife's first snowshoe outing. We've hiked together all over the world for twenty+ years but this winter craziness is a new thing for her. [edit] corrected "Summit East" to "Summit Central" - thanks solohiker

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 7:28 am 
We were up there Sunday too. Some of the ski tracks are ours. The bumps are the terrain park at Summit Central where our daughter was shredding.Looks like you all had fun cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
solohiker

solohiker
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 8:04 am 
Nice photos, puzzlr. FWIW the ski area you were looking at is Summit Central, not East. East (aka Hyak) is located around the corner from the far left side of the ski hill in your photo. As MC points out - the bumps are part of "Central Park," a large terrain terrain park where acrobatic boarders and skiers show their prowess to liftriders above. Those who master all the obstacles in that park eventually find their way to Alpental's backcountry where they maneuver much steeper terrain and obstacles consisting of natural cliffs, trees and avalanche debries instead of manmade objects.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 am 
up.gif Nice. I'm ready to walk on top of the snow again ! hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Type E

Type E
PostTue Apr 22, 2008 9:27 am 
wildernessed wrote:
up.gif Nice. I'm ready to walk on top of the snow again ! hockeygrin.gif
You should have went with Don and I yesterday I am quite sure you might feel differently.