Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chuckanut Mountain - Lost Lake, Fragrance Lake. etc
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 pm 
I have been plagued by a waterfall on Oyster Creek on the east side of Chuckanut Mountain for a while now. I've made three unsuccessful attempts so far and have been very frustrated by it. So this morning, I set out determined to find the falls no matter what. I got to the Upper Fragrance Lake Trailhead at about 9 AM and as soon as I got out of the car it started raining. Not the best sign in the world. All day my visibility was very limited due to the clouds.
The Lost Lake trail heads right past this cool looking rock.
The Lost Lake trail heads right past this cool looking rock.
I took the trail down to Fragrance Lake Road and walked down it to the Lost Lake Trail. About a mile and a half later a side trail headed east.
Left or right?  Actually I went straight ahead on my way to Oyster Creek Falls.  You can see how cloudy the day was though.  Yuck!
Left or right? Actually I went straight ahead on my way to Oyster Creek Falls. You can see how cloudy the day was though. Yuck!
I took that and walked up for a short distance before heading way down. The trail is so steep here I almost had to run to keep up with my feet. It finally leveled out and I came to another intersection. The left path would take me along the east side of Lost Lake. Instead I stayed right and continued down the hill past a cool little swamp filled with ducks and frogs.
A log filled swamp on the eastern side of Chuckanut Mountain.  The frogs were so loud here I could barely here my I-Pod.
A log filled swamp on the eastern side of Chuckanut Mountain. The frogs were so loud here I could barely here my I-Pod.
Eventually I ran into a logging road and followed it for around half a mile to where I had to leave the trail. I bushwhacked for around 1/3 of a mile to Oyster Creek Falls. My quest was complete!!!! This is a really beautiful waterfall (looks like something out of Hawaii). There were two tiers I could see: a segmented bottom drop about 30' tall and an upper drop around 50' tall.
The 30' segmented bottom tier of Oyster Creek Falls on Chuckanut Mountain.
The 30' segmented bottom tier of Oyster Creek Falls on Chuckanut Mountain.
The top tier of Oyster Creek Falls.  I loved the curvy branch so much I waded across the creek to get it in a picture.
The top tier of Oyster Creek Falls. I loved the curvy branch so much I waded across the creek to get it in a picture.
I spent some time exploring the area and then slipped and hit my knee really hard on a log. I'm not sure what I did to it, but it REALLY hurts now! mad.gif I headed back to the logging road, back past the swamp, and back to the intersection. This time I took the trail that lead me to Lost Lake and its pretty little waterfall.
Before going over the main drop, the outlet stream from Lost Lake runs over these little stairsteps.
Before going over the main drop, the outlet stream from Lost Lake runs over these little stairsteps.
The outlet stream from Lost Lake on Chuckanut Mountain goes over a very pretty little waterfall.
The outlet stream from Lost Lake on Chuckanut Mountain goes over a very pretty little waterfall.
Looking down from the top of Lost Lake Falls.
Looking down from the top of Lost Lake Falls.
Spent some time around there taking pictures and then headed all the way around Lost Lake so I wouldn't have to hike up the steep downhill I took earlier.
This gorgeous lake is on the eastern side of Chuckanut Mountain
This gorgeous lake is on the eastern side of Chuckanut Mountain
Clouds cover the top of Chuckanut Mountain.  Taken from Lost Lake.
2 labels
Clouds cover the top of Chuckanut Mountain. Taken from Lost Lake.
I probably added another mile to the hike but it was definitely worth it with my knee throbbing. I eventually made it back to Fragrance Lake Road and took the short sidetrip to Fragrance Lake.
Panaramic shot of Fragrance Lake on Chuckanut Mountain.
Panaramic shot of Fragrance Lake on Chuckanut Mountain.
On the way to Fragrance I saw a really cool stump that had a tunnel in it. I don't know what made the tunnel but it's pretty neat:
A cool tunnel hollowed out from an old stump.  I have no idea what caused it.
A cool tunnel hollowed out from an old stump. I have no idea what caused it.
I made it back to the car at about 2:30. Total Distance - Around 12 miles Total Time - 5:30 More Pictures:
Trillium In The Rain
Trillium In The Rain
This cliff of sandstone runs along the western edge of the Lost Lake Trail on Chuckanut Mountain.
This cliff of sandstone runs along the western edge of the Lost Lake Trail on Chuckanut Mountain.
I've been informed this is a Bleeding Heart.  Thanks Pyles.
I've been informed this is a Bleeding Heart. Thanks Pyles.
Near a swamp on Chuckanut Mountain.
Near a swamp on Chuckanut Mountain.
Pretty pink flowers.  Ooo!  Ah!
Pretty pink flowers. Ooo! Ah!
Salmonberry Bloom
Salmonberry Bloom
Video of Oyster Creek Falls (I forgot to get Lost Lake Falls): Bottom Tier Top Tier

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 8:29 pm 
Congratulations on finding your waterfall... and nice job on the photos of your desire. Let me add that it's really refreshing to see all the "close-in" Skagit and Whatcom county trip reports lately from the variety of sources. Maybe it's the tulips bringing in the hikers, but I don't recall noting this increase in the local trip reports in prior years. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 pm 
Oyster Creek is kinda pretty, but I gotta say I'm a bit underwhelmed considering how much Bob Mooers talked it up.

lilredhikinghood

lilredhikinghood
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 pm 
Aywolfpac, Thanks, those are great shots! up.gif I'm all curiosity... I was there meandering about a couple of weeks ago and was delighted by this waterfall basking in the afternoon sunlight (just like me).
unexpected waterfall ii
unexpected waterfall ii
This is the easy one, I took the logging road trail from the southern trailhead (Clayton Beach), where this appeared after about a mile. But the one you're talking about is hidden off-trail near the north trailhead? Hmm... I need to go look more closely at that map... I think I saw your tunnel stump and several of his unusual friends. There were many stump shots that day! smile.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 1:03 am 
Perseverance pays off! These foggy tree scenes are all around us, but this one reminds me of an jungle shot from the Amazon. I think it's the few unusually tall trees sticking up.
Quote:
Clouds cover the top of Chuckanut Mountain.  Taken from Lost Lake.
2 labels
Clouds cover the top of Chuckanut Mountain. Taken from Lost Lake.

gone

gone
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 12:23 pm 
Interesting area and a great reward in the form of some nice falls! Thanks for sharing the shots and details! up.gif Btw, I think the "tunnel" is likely the hole left by the disappearance of a long decayed nurse log on which the remaining tree got its start.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 4:31 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Oyster Creek is kinda pretty, but I gotta say I'm a bit underwhelmed considering how much Bob Mooers talked it up.
I understand what you're saying. He does only give it 2 1/2 drops out of 5 I guess. The falls are really pretty, but I was amazed at how powerful they were actually. I expected the creek to be pretty small through there and it was good size. I suspect, like Mooers, that there is at least one more tier above there too. I didn't get a chance to climb higher to check it out. I have a couple friends who wanna go back so we'll look into that then. lilredhikinghood, I call that falls Chuckanut Mountain Falls. It's not very big, but it is really pretty. The first time I saw it was in the fall with the setting sun illuminating the whole area in orange:
If you continue up Fragrance Lake Road past that falls you can take the Lost Lake Trail off to the right and go to the other two falls. Lost Lake is on the eastern side of the mountain with its falls and Oyster Creek Falls involves heading down a long ways between Chuckanut and Blanchard Mountains.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 4:34 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Perseverance pays off! These foggy tree scenes are all around us, but this one reminds me of an jungle shot from the Amazon. I think it's the few unusually tall trees sticking up.
Yeah. I love the one in the front left of the picture. It looks really gnarly and old. You just know that tree has seen a lot in its life.

lilredhikinghood

lilredhikinghood
PostTue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
Thanks for the tip- I did make it down to Lost Lake, but next time maybe I'll go looking for the other falls. smile.gif