Forum Index > Trip Reports > Go Speed Racers! TNAB zooms up Mt. Si 04/24/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
Mark has been a little busy since the hike so I volunteered to write the trip report. TNAB tackled Mount Si via the "old trail" this Thursday. Twelve hikers; Mesachie Mark, Peggy, Steve the phantom hiker, ewb, Magnum, Wes, weekendbiped, yukon222, mountainsun, twodogdad, Schmidt Alti-Babe, and I along with five canines; Cubby, Boone, Dox, Rowena, and Kiefer, left the parking lot about 6PM. We attacked the 3600' elevation gain aggressively and it was bare for about two thirds of the way up. Snow was never deep enough to need snowshoes but some yaktrax or other traction device would of come in handy (I know I'm not the only one who slipped at least once). The lead pack (Peggy, yukon, 'Babe, Row, Kief, and Cub) made to the base of the Haystack in 93 minutes. The rest of us were not far behind. Awaiting us was Larry and his canine companion, Digger. Views of the sun setting behind Seattle were spectacular and many of us commented that this was the best weather we'd ever experienced on Si even if the wind was bone chilling. The wind made sure we didn't linger too long so after a bit of shutter delay we headed back needing the headlamps for about half the trail. We arrived at the parking lot at 9:30 and headed our separate ways towards warm food and hot showers. Here is my usual panoramania for you to enjoy:
Looking south toward I-90
Looking south toward I-90
Looking towards Seattle
Looking towards Seattle
Looking towards Seatte #2 (sorry for the photoshop seams)
Looking towards Seatte #2 (sorry for the photoshop seams)
Snoqualmie River and North Bend below
Snoqualmie River and North Bend below

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 9:06 pm 
93 minutes in snow. WOW!! up.gif Good going. Hopefully soon I can join you on the climbs soon, though I might arrive 30 minutes to an hour early.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm 
A fun and memorable TNAB. It was also a little nostalgic; this was the first TNAB Team Schmidt Altitude ever did when we went last year. After the wet slog up Dirty Harry's last week, it was nice to have partially clear conditions. We started out at a brisk pace, so I focused on keeping up, but soon, my lungs were burning and protesting. This sounds perfectly normal, right? Well, while I expect a little burn in the lungs due to exertion, I usually don't find it to be pounding and constricting. I pushed on, thinking, didn't we cover this being out of hiking shape thing a couple of months back? huh.gif Well, when the same thing happened this weekend, only worse, add coughing and a sore throat, it hit me that I've probably been battling some sort of bronchial/chest cold. waah.gif I'm hoping to be ready to hike again - and that better be soon, body. Got that? irked.gif
Extreme snow Whippets!
Extreme snow Whippets!
This Year TNAB Mt. Si
This Year TNAB Mt. Si
Last Year TNAB Mt. Si (Photo Adrewzki)
By the Haystack
By the Haystack
Sunset start
Sunset start
Sunset over Seattle
Sunset over Seattle
Seattle's rosy glow
Seattle's rosy glow
Icy fingers
Icy fingers
It must be warmer in here, if only I could fit!
It must be warmer in here, if only I could fit!
Awash in color
Awash in color
Most of the group
12 labels
Most of the group
Who me?  I wouldn't cause trouble!
Who me? I wouldn't cause trouble!

Yet

Yet
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 pm 
Oh no! I'm sorry you're sick, Tish. frown.gif Feel better soon! agree.gif I remember this as being your first TNAB last year. And the rest, is history. smile.gif

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Apr 27, 2008 9:32 pm 
Memorable, yes: no dogs lost, this year. Speaking of burning lungs: I want to pay tribute to Cubby. I could hear him rasping behind me two-thirds of the way up but down the stretch he put me (and others) to shame. Good luck this week, Nabbers. I'll rejoin you in May. 2dd

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 6:14 am 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Who me?  I wouldn't cause trouble!
Who me? I wouldn't cause trouble!
I have seen this look from my troublemaker, er, dog before. embarassedlaugh.gif

Knows literally nothing
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 6:38 am 
Nice zoom on Seattle - Wow!

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 am 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
This Year TNAB Mt. Si
This Year TNAB Mt. Si
The comparison makes me very sad....c'mon sun, c'mon! Hope you feel better, Tisha!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 9:27 am 
Last spring my dream was to run up Si by the old trail with TNAB in around 90 minutes (minus snow) in April. Thank you TNAB for turning my Thursday hiking dreams and painful Friday mornings into reality bugeyes.gif . The sunset pictures are really good, thanks for sharing.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 10:07 am 
Fun, fun trip blasting up the Old Trail. A pano from the summit
tnab mt si pano
tnab mt si pano

weekendbiped

weekendbiped
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 11:43 am 
As mentioned by others, probably the best weather I've seen on Si. I can see I'm going to have to shape up a bit in order to keep up with the practically-a-jog TNAB pace (all while holding a conversation, to add to it). smile.gif I'm unfortunately out for the next few weeks, but I'm looking forward to joining you guys again late next month! Justin

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 pm 
Great pics everyone - sounds like a good time was had by all once again. Anyone know what's on tap for this week?

Yet

Yet
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 pm 
Lake Annette! mum.gif

meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 4:03 pm 
Yet wrote:
Lake Annette! mum.gif
Mum's the word then... wink.gif I like Harvey Manning's comment on that route: "A super-popular subalpine lakelet below cliffs and talus of Albiel Peak, ringed by open forest and masses of humanity, much of it very young. For quiet walking, try early summer or late fall in the middle of the week in a storm."

gone

gone
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
What a great hike! You guys are so fast! I actually kept up with Mark and Wes a bit, even conversed a little before the panting took over, but eventually stepped aside. Then Phantom (who I mistakenly referred to as John more than once because I'm an idiot - sorry Steve!) caught me at a blistering pace just after the Boulder Garden Loop trail, and that was it for TNAB interactions until seeing Troy again in the parking lot. I love the pictures from up top, particularly the sunset panos - just beautiful! I knew I wouldn't make the summit, but looked forward to seeing the old trail for the first time, and I wasn't disappointed. This is my new preferred Mt Si route. It's beautiful, rough, and amazingly varied; like the older, more interesting, trouble-making sibling. And, I'm guessing, probably a lot less crowded than the new trail in the summer. After losing Mark and Wes I pulled the camera and took some shots. Here's a pano of the trail just after it enters the older, denser woods (note the trail coming up just right of center, and continuing up on the right).
Into the woods on the old trail.
Into the woods on the old trail.
Here's a shot of the cool boulder valley split through which the trail passes.
Into the boulder valley gap.
Into the boulder valley gap.
It's a moss and fern covered canyon with 30-40' rock walls on both sides. Unfortunately, the waning sunlight prevented my point-and-shoot from getting a better pic (that's my excuse anyway). The Boulder Garden Loop trail intersection comes right after this, so I'm guessing there's more of this type of interesting geology to see there. I'll have to come back and check that out sometime. Rather than worry about the summit, I decided I was going to use the hike to check out the "Northwest Passage" described by Robert DeGraw in his Secrets of Si guidebook from 1995. This is a traverse from the old trail at about 2,200' to snag flats on the new trail. This little used, very subtle trail leaves the old trail below a good sized snag just before the 5th left-hand (west) switchback after leaving North's road (the nearly flat road grade at about 1,970'). There's an old cairn marking the trail's beginning and some flags in the branches near the end, but everything in between is hints and wishes.
Where's the trail?
Where's the trail?
Along the way there are many interesting sights, including lots of giant burned out cedar stumps, snags galore, and numerous blowdowns and other messes to be crossed. The latter are a little tricky to navigate, but by carefully looking around, the trail can always be spotted exiting somewhere. Eventually, after more down than up, you emerge on the west side of snag flats along what Mr. DeGraw described as "about the longest downed tree we have found on Mt. Si." And he's not kidding, this thing is huge (btw, as Mr. DeGraw suggests, stick to the north side of it if possible, as it's easier to exit from there - I got confused in the snag maze and wound up on the south side, which is a little harder than it has to be). Unfortunately, after making it to snag flats and the new trail, I realized it was too dark to try a return along the same route, even with my tracking GPS. The trail was just too subtle and I'd have lost it for sure in the light of my headlamp. So, I was left with a descent of the new trail and the remote possibility of a ride from the Mt Si parking lot back to the Little Si parking lot. No joy. Threw my thumb out a few times but didn't get any bites, so wound up walking the road the entire 2 miles.
Old trail to snag flats loop, now with extra road!
Old trail to snag flats loop, now with extra road!
When I arrived at the Little Si parking lot I found Mountainsun, who must have made incredible time coming down, and soon after Magnum, then eventually the entire crew. Great hike! I'm still grinning ear-to-ear thinking about that wonderful traverse. Can't wait until Thursday! Thanks for having me along!