Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Whips Wicked White Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostFri May 02, 2008 4:15 am 
Our goal was Mount Washington this Thursday. In attendance were 19 hikers and 5 canines: Schmidt Alti-Babe, Schmidt Alti-Dude, Rowena, Kiefer, Mesahchie Mark, yukon222, Magnum, cmurph, Mazzy, wamtngal, Just Todd, GeoTom, GeoDanni, Jasper, ewb, Malachai Constant, Wes, mountainsun, GaryT, moosefish, runningbird, Cubbie, drewcoll, and international traveler Joe who flew in from Calgary to go on the hike biggrin.gif ! Snow covered the trail well before the owl's lookout but we didn't need to don snowshoes until after the first time we crossed the creek. We mostly followed the summer trail until it doubled back to cross the creek again. At this point some of our party continued on the summer trail while the majority of us went for a more direct route towards the ridgeline. The steep grade and soft snow made for quite an adventure as we wove through the trees. Branch slaps and crumbling kick steps were common and more than one hiker was heard to exclaim "shipoopie" tongue.gif ! We eventually made it to the summit, 4420', to enjoy alpenglow views of Mt Rainier, Mt Si, Puget Sound, Chester Morse Lake, Mailbox Peak, and more. After snacks and a summit shot it was time to head down. We met up with the summer trail party still on their way up about ten minutes down from the summit. We all followed the direct route down together. There briefly was a bit of controversy over the butt-sledders using the snowshoer's track. The discussion escalated into a trek pole sword fight until Mark broke it up lol.gif . Headlamps were necessary for about half the decent and we made it back to the vehicles just after 10:30PM. We learned that Larry had gone up early to the summit via the summer route but left before we arrived. Thus, only the first ones down the mountain ran into him. Great people, good fun, and another successful summit. Total Hike Time (including breaks): 4 hours 53 minutes Total Elevation Gained: 3376 feet TNAB next week: Mailbox Peak
TNABers Ready?
TNABers Ready?
C'mon Rowena, you can do it!
C'mon Rowena, you can do it!
Blah! I'm done with snow!
Blah! I'm done with snow!
Catching back up to the pack
Catching back up to the pack
TNAB traffic jam
TNAB traffic jam
Left, right, left....
Left, right, left....
To the trees!!!
To the trees!!!
Alti-Dude below
Alti-Dude below
Peek-a-boo Magnum
Peek-a-boo Magnum
First view of the sunset
First view of the sunset
Final stretch
Final stretch
Sunset, Magnum style
Sunset, Magnum style
The big lady
The big lady
Pink glow over Si
Pink glow over Si
Washington sunset
Washington sunset
Orange you beautiful!
Orange you beautiful!
Vibrant hues
Vibrant hues
Mazzy, don't do it!
Mazzy, don't do it!
Mt Washington summit group
16 labels
Mt Washington summit group
Mountainsun to the power of two
Mountainsun to the power of two

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri May 02, 2008 6:14 am 
Just when you think you are done snowshoeing for the Winter, err Spring, and ready to put them away for several months, some late snows fall to make usage almost mandatory. shakehead.gif The upper basins were coated with a heavy blanket of white. Must be 8' or 10' snow at the summit. No idea when that will finally melt off. Fourth of July?
goal - Mt Washington!
goal - Mt Washington!
cresting the upper road
cresting the upper road
Shoulder of Mt Washington
Shoulder of Mt Washington
Mt Washington summit
Mt Washington summit

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri May 02, 2008 6:37 am 
Sorry we didn't continue on past the Owl Lookout, but Jasper's claw was bleeding. It didn't seem to bother him, but we didn't like seeing that much blood on the snow. I guess we were a little optimistic with how far along it had healed. Another week or two and he should be ok.

Knows literally nothing
drewcoll

drewcoll
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:02 am 
Thanks TNAB. Everyone have fun in that traffic mess on the way home? It was grrrreat. rolleyes.gif
TNAB Heading Up
TNAB Heading Up
Butt shot.
Butt shot.
From the basin
From the basin
First Sunset
First Sunset
Summit
Summit
Rainier with Pink
Rainier with Pink

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:05 am 
as always, TNAB claims another successful summit of mt. washington. the group is getting larger as the weather gets warmer. or larger as the weather gets colder huh.gif love the orange you beautiful and vibrant hues photos and of course, the group shot! way to go, nwhikers! up.gif up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Yet

Yet
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:37 am 
Beautiful! smile.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:40 am 
Quote:
Left, right, left....
Left, right, left....
Looks like you ran into a group of Mountaineers on an outing. doh.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Yet

Yet
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:49 am 
Quote:
way to go, nwhikers! up.gif up.gif
Just a friendly reminder, there are a lot of TNAB vets who are not on nwhikers. So it might be more appropriate to say "WTG TNAB'ers!" wink.gif Thanks. smile.gif From, A TNAB groupie Just as an aside, my son and I were talking last night, and he referred to TNAB as "Thursday Night AB." Hehe, I told him it's Thursday Night After Burners. He said, "Thursday Night Alliance Battle?" Me: "Yeah, that's what it feels like sometimes." embarassedlaugh.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri May 02, 2008 7:59 am 
kleet wrote:
Looks like you ran into a group of Mountaineers on an outing.
Yeah... that's why I hung back from the main group. For solitude. No other reason. Yeah... clown.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri May 02, 2008 8:07 am 
Yet wrote:
He said, "Thursday Night Alliance Battle?"
And you didn't say "Thursday Night Action Betty"?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri May 02, 2008 8:48 am 
Good times! Was great to knock this one down ( breakdance.gif ) after being denied two weeks ago -- and with such a great group of people! Schmidt's...I'm a bit concerned that you are writing TRs at 4 in the morning, knowing that you haven't slept a wink. I hope you plan on sleeping the day away today. At least until noon. wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 02, 2008 8:48 am 
kleet wrote:
Looks like you ran into a group of Mountaineers on an outing.
Yeah, thats why I headed up the new trail, only problem was they never caught up and went a different route leaving me to break all the way, now in recovery mode waah.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri May 02, 2008 9:49 am 
I am impressed that Team Schmidt did indeed write up the report when they arrived home! This was much more fun than my last Mt Washington trip and I have a new found appreciation for Si’s scraggly neighbor. We never did find that summit register, though. Thanks to Mark for organizing! Not much those returning south can do after an I-90 TNAB hike for the next couple weeks except use 520 rant.gif . That was a, uh, surprise bawl.gif .
"it's right up here"
"it's right up here"
goingtheextramileforagoodpicture
goingtheextramileforagoodpicture
altidudealpenglow
altidudealpenglow
raineralpenglow
raineralpenglow
townandcountry
townandcountry
summitshot
summitshot
actionphotoaction
actionphotoaction

cmurph

cmurph
PostFri May 02, 2008 10:53 am 
Great trip everyone...with all the snow it was quite a bit different than last year's up there but just as fun biggrin.gif I had to coax Mazzy out of the car with treats when I got home b/c she was so pooped!

gone

gone
PostFri May 02, 2008 11:07 am 
Wonderful hike, good to see everyone again, if only briefly! tongue.gif Rode my bike up from near Rattlesnake Lake, figuring my hike to the snow level would be pretty short. Turns out there was plenty of trail before the post-holes for a great workout. Surprising just how far a shoeless-Joe can tromp in the compact path beat down by a dozen or more well-sprung TNABers! up.gif Lest everyone think Mt Washington is all summits and sunsets, I grabbed some shots of the waterfalls and cliffs lining the trail. Fascinating geology at work here. Frightening, too, in spots, where when looking up you realize you're the X marking the spot for loose rocks potentially called home by gravity. I hear tell that in the bitter cold of winter, as opposed to the mere frigid cold of spring, the cliffs are covered in large icicles. I'll have to come back and see. I pulled on my YakTrax when the trail became snow covered. They were sufficient for following in the group's compressed prints. Ran into GeoTom and family at the Owl Lookout where Jasper's bleeding foot answered the "Who's bleeding?" question I'd begun asking myself a few hundred yards before. After some breath-catching conversation, I continued up and over the creek, then to the right at the fork, eventually succumbing to the cold and post-holes at about 3,100'. Back to the Owl Lookout for a snack and some setting sun, then down to the John Wayne Trail by 9:30PM. While putting my bike back together and swapping shoes, Larry, Peggy, and Wes came out, chatted briefly, and took off for home. Then, just as I was about to take off, Troy led another group of TNABers out of the woods. Everyone safe and sound. biggrin.gif
Winding their springs.
Winding their springs.
Slow hiking sights.
Slow hiking sights.
Water from rocks.
Water from rocks.
Trees from rocks.
Trees from rocks.
Snow on the trail.
Snow on the trail.
Blood on the trail.
Blood on the trail.
Oh, that way?  Thanks!
Oh, that way? Thanks!
Light-colored cliffs above the trail.
Light-colored cliffs above the trail.
Mailbox on the right, Middle Fork Snoqualmie north-side peaks in the background.
Mailbox on the right, Middle Fork Snoqualmie north-side peaks in the background.
Getting deep at the first creek crossing.
Getting deep at the first creek crossing.
Goodnight!
Goodnight!
Thanks again for having me! smile.gif