Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is it a crime to be environmentally friendly?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostMon May 05, 2008 2:26 pm 
I don't know, cus people around here sure seem to act like it is. rolleyes.gif I've decided to cloth diaper my baby and i'm getting support from just about... nowhere. The only place that's supportive of me is an online forum for natural family living. But it seems like every person I talk to around here (with kids or expecting kids) seems to think that disposables are so much easier. They don't even think a diaper service sounds easy. I'm going to be using a diaper service... simply because i'm too lazy to wash them all myself. Of course i'll have to wash the covers once a week or so but that's not that bad. I don't see how hard it is. shakehead.gif I guess people around here are just lazy. Everyone keeps telling me i'm going to try it and hate it and just give up. Apparently they don't know me that well. I'm just a tad bit too stubborn to give up. Especially since I know just how much impact one little baby can have on the environment diaper wise in the years they will be in diapers. A LOT. I would just feel too guilty using disposables. Plus, just think of all the nasty chemicals they put in those! Yuck! Yeah, I really want to do what's best for my baby and the Environment. smile.gif Do any of you cloth diaper at least part time? I know some of you on here have kids at least.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostMon May 05, 2008 2:29 pm 
I use a cloth diaper to apply wax on my truck. biggrin.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon May 05, 2008 4:13 pm 
my daughters wore cloth diapers at home and whenever we went somewhere, which was hardly ever, i used disposables. i had buckets (one for urine the other poopy ones) at home with some bleach that i would soak the diapers in after a quick dip into the toilet to get rid of poop yuk! we were a one income family and that's what we did since there was no extra dollars for the convenience of disposables. my daughters had no rashes either from the 'bleach'. maybe it's because i also rubbed a light coating of vaseline around. i was even luckier because they did a great job getting out of diapers and sitting on the pot. btw: during warm days (60 degrees +), the girls played outside - naked. please, do what you feel like using-cloth or disposable! some will say i was not being environmentally sensitive/friendly using bleach, dumping it into the sewer but what did we know back then. i think it's best than filling the landfills or wherever with icky poopy disposables, lasting forever and ever! remember that you are doing the very best for your daughter, husband, and yourself. ignore any negativity!!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
touron

touron
PostMon May 05, 2008 4:28 pm 
Go for it. I was raised in cloth diapers. They were even hung out on a clothesline for all the world to see--when you aren't old enough to talk, it's yet another way of letting the world know of your existence, kind of like an ensign. It is neither a crime, nor a misdemeanor. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 05, 2008 4:29 pm 
We used them it is a lot easier to use a service.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon May 05, 2008 4:54 pm 
We used cloth diapers, together with a diaper service, and it worked great. We only used disposables on infrequent occasions when we were traveling or such, when it would have been unworkable to store or clean the cloth diapers.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon May 05, 2008 6:59 pm 
Just wanting to offer you my support in your decision, GLHG. wave.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Yet

Yet
PostMon May 05, 2008 6:59 pm 
Ditto. But can't you train your baby to use the litterbox?

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon May 05, 2008 7:10 pm 
We went disposable but things weren't as green in the mid-90s as they are now. My boys could really fill a diaper.

Let me stand next to your fire
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon May 05, 2008 7:14 pm 
It's possible that it's a misdemeanor in North Everett, but in Seattle it's a crime to use the disposable ones. wink.gif Baby Diaper Service was a great thing for any of my friends that had rugrats and gift certifs make a great shower gift.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 05, 2008 7:24 pm 
In this county, (notice I said county and not state hockeygrin.gif ) hell it's a felony not to be. moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
touron

touron
PostMon May 05, 2008 7:27 pm 
Stones wrote:
My boys could really fill a diaper.
So that's why things aren't as green now. hihi.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 05, 2008 10:00 pm 
I feel guilty when I empty that diaper pail. You are a brave woman, and I commend you for your effort.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
Back in 1997 I read an in depth article by a renowned mama magazine talking about whether to go cloth or not. And here is what they said: In areas with lots of burial space rather than water, disposables are best. In areas with water, go for cloth. But...no matter what...just saying...you go out with baby? Get disposables!!!! Or if they are sick with blowouts. It is worth it then. And you can get more 'green' disposables as well these days. Not cheap though!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostMon May 05, 2008 11:13 pm 
I've actually heard from many a mom (online) that CD's and certain covers contain blowouts 10x better than a disposable. up.gif up.gif So i'm excited about that. Plus there are wetbags for cloth diapers. agree.gif