Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is it a crime to be environmentally friendly?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 06, 2008 5:54 am 
Good grief! How about the no diaper fad? I'd rather have babies running around in diapers and I don't care whether they are disposable (except when I have to pick up the disposed diapers in the woods rant.gif ) or washable or what. Just so the baby isn't in discomfort! Isn't that the important thing here?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue May 06, 2008 6:30 am 
We used cloth diapers and washed them ourselves. Really it's no big deal. Put the soiled diapers in a pail full of water (of course, you drop off any "loads" in the toilet). When it gets full (takes a couple days or so), dump in wash and they come out great. Dry them and dump them in a bin for next time. Total time commitment is minimal. The diaper service just folds them, so if you don't bother with that you save most of the time. We used them for day trips. Just take the pail in the car. It has a lid, so you don't smell a thing. On overnight trips we used disposables. (Not talking about backpacking "trips", just regular trips.)

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue May 06, 2008 9:27 am 
touron wrote:
Stones wrote:
My boys could really fill a diaper.
So that's why things aren't as green now. hihi.gif
Heck, depending on what the kid's eating, things could be even more green lol.gif lol.gif giardia.gif

AOW

AOW
PostTue May 06, 2008 11:00 am 
How about http://www.gdiapers.com/ ?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 06, 2008 11:28 am 
AOW wrote:
How about http://www.gdiapers.com/ ?
Thanks, I couldn't think of the brand! And GLG...don't take this wrong - I was all Miss Green when I had Ford. While in theory it is all great to be 100% natural or whatever, the truth is it isn't easy unless you are a stay at home mom and have enough money and time to do everything. I can still remember my mom talking about my brother having a blow out of biblical story time in his cloth/rubber pants. They were dirt poor and she was using hand-me-downs. They were traveling in the car (of course before car seats as well). My brother was on HER when it happened. My mom just sat there and bawled her eyes out. It was NASTY. So my point is....don't worry or over think it out. When kiddo gets here do what works for you. But do realize that a non leaking diaper is worth more than you will know on hot car rides - there are things you just cannot get the smell out of! It is kind of like breast feeding vs. formula. Sure, BF is the better choice overall..but it doesn't mean that bottle feeding is bad if that is all you can do. I spent 7 months all excited that Miss Granola was going to BF her baby and got a preemie baby who couldn't nurse/latch on. My milk didn't drop in for 3 1/2 weeks so I couldn't even pump! Oh did I cry over that till I realized it didn't mean anything. And honestly, if you are delivering in a hospital (over say your home) they will use and toss more stuff than in one day than you might for months eek.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 06, 2008 12:53 pm 
Not a crime. We use disposables, but whatever floats your boat! The thing I like about the disposables is that magic chemical inside them keeps baby dry even if the diaper isn't. Pretty nice.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm 
I hope you have lots of energy. I did the cloth diaper like Al signor..no diaper service..bought, washed, dryed and threw away all my own. It lasted about 6 months till my babysitter had had enough and put him in disposables. Have lots of changes of clothes around..they are no way near as secure for leaks as disposables. Be prepared to change diapers alot..as soon as they go to the bathroom..you have to change.. Disposables were much easier for me in the long run , for I was a single mom and worked full time. Do what you need to do..no need for justification to anyone but yourself.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
AOW

AOW
PostTue May 06, 2008 2:03 pm 
I just realized that GLHG didn't have any kids yet but she's calling those who use disposables "lazy". That's the crime.

touron

touron
PostTue May 06, 2008 4:13 pm 
She called herself lazy also, which is probably also a crime, especially if you are thinking of calling yourself lazy, but then put it off for an hour, or two, or three or.... zzz.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed May 07, 2008 1:27 pm 
Oh hurray, half this thread is supportive praise. lol. I'll take the supportive half. I'm not going to be washing the diapers myself. The diaper service is. That's what diaper services do. lol.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 07, 2008 1:32 pm 
Why not do them yourself though? Then you could use better detergents and as well hang them outside on sunny days!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 07, 2008 3:58 pm 
i have a picture somewhere of diapers hanging on the line to dry. it was the last wash/dry! yeah, daughter #2 was using the toilet. no more diapers/disposables! it was a day of celebration on one hand chickenleg.gif but also sadness that my daughters were 'growing up'. frown.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed May 07, 2008 9:13 pm 
I don't really have a place to hang them outside. lol. I have a yard I share with the upstairs neighbors but it's on the side of the house and it's rather inconvenient to go out there. No part of it is really mine. I'd rather just dry them in the dryer if I did that. But for the beginning I think i'll just use the diaper service. If I decide washing isn't so bad, I'll switch to washing. Besides, my landlord pays the water bill. lol. (could be cheaper)

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed May 07, 2008 9:46 pm 
I didn't see this thread until just now. I didn't know you were thinking about using cloth diapers! I could have brought you a few of mine to show you some different things. I love my cloth diapers. Things have changed a lot in the cloth diapering world in the past 10 years or so. New fabrics, new designs, you could go crazy trying to figure out the perfect system. I wash my own diapers. I use premium quality prefolds and inexpensive waterproof covers (ProWraps). It's about the cheapest way to go. Most people also don't use pins any more, they use "Snappis", which are the coolest things. There's a good website called jamtots.com that has all the CD stuff you could want. It's not that hard to wash your own. You're doing so much laundry anyway, what's another load or two a week? You don't even have to fold them if you don't want to. I did use a service for the first month after Annika was born, due to my c-section rant.gif and it was OK, but they use an awful lot of water and bleach. I don't bleach my diapers - it leaves a residue on the fabric that can give a rash. I use inexpensive fleece liners that I made from a cheap piece of fleece - just cut out a rectangle. They go in between the diaper and the baby's bum. Then when they poo, you can dump it in the toilet more easily. Almost no one from the forums where I got my cloth diaper info uses a wet pail to soak them in. Instead, many people use a covered pail and soak them in the washer for awhile before washing them. I can give you more complete washing instructions if you ever decide to go that route. It beats paying $70 a month to a service, tho if you are at home alone, it may be worth it to you to get whatever help you can get. I have found with both my kids that once they were past the skinny infant stage when their legs didn't fill the diaper, I've had less blowouts with cloth than with disposables. I have also had less rash problems; the chemicals in the disposable gel make their skin red. I do use disposables at night and when travelling and hiking, or when they go to the sitter, or if I'm sick or just need a break. But it's not that much of a break, really, you still have to change diapers and do laundry no matter what. Many of my friends think I'm crazy for using cloth, but I really like them. Once both my kids have gotten old enough to express themselves, they have both said that they find the cloth more comfortable and less scratchy. Cloth is supposed to be a bit easier to potty train with, since the tots can feel when they are wet, but my son seemed to be the exception to that rule shakehead.gif rolleyes.gif ; daughter isn't there yet. Yes, there are drawbacks to whatever method you use. No mom has time to be lazy, so don't even worry about that part of it. Disposables are easier in some respects. There is a definite learning curve with cloth that some people get frustrated with. You have to surround yourself with people that know what they are doing to help you through those rough patches. I do feel better knowing we are putting less waste into the environment, and I am exposing my kids to fewer toxic chemicals. We have saved a ton of money; I'm still on the same diapers we used for Gabriel, tho some are getting kind of ratty. Once you get your supply bought, you don't have to invest in much more. I hope this all makes sense. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have, especially as the time gets closer. I say, go for it, expect there to be some challenges to the plan, and have some disposables on hand, too. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can't stick to the perfect plan. Those first months are super hard no matter what kind of diaper the kid is in. Cloth vs. disposables and the health of the environment will be the least of your worries. Every parent gets peed and pooped on and spit up on and thrown up on and everything else, so you just have to expect it and laugh when it happens. doh.gif Whatever you choose, love your baby like there's no tomorrow, that's what matters most.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Yet

Yet
PostWed May 07, 2008 9:56 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Whatever you choose, love your baby like there's no tomorrow, that's what matters most.
up.gif