Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spider Lake~ Olympics part 2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostMon May 05, 2008 6:09 pm 
Yep, FS 23 is open, but still too much snow~ so I decided to snowshoe in with the dogz since it is just behind my place. I think it was about 1.5 2ish miles in from where I had to park my car. Just a few feet of snow still remains. The Spider was beautiful as always. I'd show you pics but flickr is being moody currently. rant.gif There was actually less snow at the lake than where i had to park. There are trees down indeed. I always feel like a giant doof when crossing over a downed trees and branches with snowshoes on! I'm so glad nobody was there to witness my clumsy entry into the lake! shakehead.gif There were no other tracks and I was certain we had the lake to ourselves! Beautiful. The snow was so sloppy slushy and I forgot my gaitors D-OH!!! Wet socks! This week is supposed to be warm alllll week!!!! MELT MELT MELT MELT Just thought the Spider Lake lovers might like to know that the lake looks peaceful and beautiful

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon May 05, 2008 6:14 pm 
thanks for the update, trail angel! i look forward to seeing your pics when flickr gets back on track. btw: i can almost feel your wet socks1 yuk huh.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon May 05, 2008 6:20 pm 
and were the fish active?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostMon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm 
Oh and the mosquitoes were HUNGRY! hungry.gif

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostTue May 06, 2008 7:45 am 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
and were the fish active?
YES! I'm glad you brought that up~ They were very active. Does anyone know what kind of fish are in Spider? It was great~ so quiet~ just watching the fish jump and listening to the woodpeckers.

marcoramius

marcoramius
PostWed May 07, 2008 7:43 pm 
Hey Trail Angel, I'm ready to see those pics now...please, please, please, pretty please agree.gif agree.gif How was the road in the section that you hiked up to get to the lake? Any road damage or trees blocking that you could see? I was hoping to get up there in the next couple of weeks and don't want any surprises. hockeygrin.gif

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostWed May 07, 2008 8:27 pm 
Some of that snow melted today http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?station=12061500 . Last time I was up there I saw a fair amount of damage to the first part of the trail. Did you go all the way around the lake? The other day you parked .71 miles by crow to the lake. Do you know there are two ways to get to the trail from the 23? I have three geocaches hidden at Spider Lake.

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu May 08, 2008 7:48 am 
I've been there twice now, at different times of the year, and it seems the mosquitos there are ALWAYS hungry. huh.gif And bees - I remember we were going to hang out at the TH after doing the loop and have lunch but we were bombarded by killer bees and had to throw everybody into the car and drive away as quickly as we could. I'll never forget sitting in the car, waiting to leave, and watching these HUGE bees dive bomb the car. There must have been 3 or 4 dozen of them at least, it was horrid. I hate bees. Nice lake, though, I'd love to go as soon as the snow is gone!

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostThu May 08, 2008 8:14 am 
Ok~ for some reason, I can't download from flickr?!?!? Genius, maybe not~ but what the H@ll??? flickr says my pics don't exist, but they clearly do. frown.gif The conditions of the road were fine. No big trees down, maybe a few small ones under the snow, but nothing threatening. I didn't go around the entire lake because the snow was at a decent slope and the snow was really soft so I would have just been sliding around and my socks were SOAKED, sooooo, I decided to kick it right past the creek near the entrance. I'd say expect some good sized trees down. I might xxski back there today if I have enough gas in the Roo. ummmm~ ok, so instead of flickr, I posted the pics on my myspace albums. click on me and it'll take ya to it. wink.gif